School me in Guild jumbos

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm thinking somewhere between $700 - $800, GuN, closer to $700. Seller's being honest about the checking, which is good, but $900s is too high.

Just one man's opinion.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, and Claude is right about the F-512, GuN, but I think you need to initiate yourself into this stuff and get there over time. A JF-30-12 is a treasure in itself.

That said, a Tacoma F-512 was my first Guild back in 2007, and I have never regretted "starting at the top." :)

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Appreciate the educated opinion! I’ll see if he’s willing to negotiate. If not I can wait, maybe it won’t sell for a while and he will be. Or find another beauty!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's the spirit, GuN... Make an offer or communicate with the seller and see what happens. If he/she knows you're serious, you might get more wiggle room than you expect.

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind one of the top guitars! A kid and family make my budget smaller for now though. Eventually! Also funny, I love the look of a bound neck, but the feel of an unbound one. Personal preferences. I hopefully have plenty of years to build my Guild, and others, collection.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm thinking somewhere between $700 - $800, GuN, closer to $700. Seller's being honest about the checking, which is good, but $900s is too high.

I got mine for $800, which I think was pretty much a steal, since it was in excellent shape, no checking or anything.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Actually it was Cougar, but when it looked like you might get serious I figured it was time to give you the full monty about Corona.

:friendly_wink:

The checking is significant (imo), but again cosmetic
I actually didn't look at that ad until you mentioned it.
It's definitely a personal choice.
10 years ago it probably would have ruled it out for me completely, I want 'em as perfect as possible, but I'm getting more flexible in my old age to the point that I even understand the appeal of rat rods, now.
:glee:

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
That sounds like a sweet deal for one in good shape!

If I was buying something new I’d be pretty sad if it got the checking. Sometimes that’s why I like buying used, I’m more liberal about things like that. In turn that makes me buy it to be played more as well.

I offered $650 and cited previous sales I found and explained information I had attained from here, and mentioned me looking at possible resale value if it’s not a forever guitar. I hate asking that low, but felt justified with an in depth explanation. He agreed that my points were all valid and said he would consider the offer in person. I’m headed to the Twin Cities next weekend and am hoping to arrange a time to meet and check it out.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Good Luck!
Oh, can't remember if you were shown this yet, how to gauge if neck might be getting into or already in "needs a reset" territory:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/NeckAngle/neckangle.html

For that check to be valid though, you need to be sure the bridge about 5/16" tall at top of arc, +/- maybe a 32nd of tolerance.
And a Corona could be even taller, if my D40 is any indicator, it's almost a full 3/8", about 11/32" IIRC.
That might be due to the UST, I was never able to figure it out for sure, but it's a full 16th taller than both my Westerlys.
Oh yes, you want neck to be as close to flat as possible when doing the check.

Last edited:

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Of course now I get a wrench thrown in. There’s a local seller in town with a Seagull Mini Jumbo that is spruce top and solid hog b/s for a super low price....!

ezstrummer

Reaction score
Quick question about the jumbos. I just bought a jumbo 12 string. Will it fit any aftermarket jumbo hard shell case?