School me in Guild jumbos

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
I’ve been playing acoustic for about 20 years now. I’ve owned several drednaught guitars of various make and quality differences as well as a few different parlor size guitars. I’ve alsays loved the look of a jumbo...I’m a huge John Denver fan and Tom Petty fan (yes, I know he leans towards the Gibson jumbos...). Not in the immediate future, but somewhere soon down the road my next purchase will likely be another American made acoustic.
The Guild model names just confuse me once you get to the Jumbo models (the dreds are hard enough). What is what and which is which?
If anybody wants to recommend models I should watch for I would appreciate that also! In my dreds I have fallen in love with my spruce topped hog b/s D25M, but my 12 string Seagull with a spruce top and rosewood b/s definitely has a special shimmer to it. In recordings I’ve highly enjoyed the snap in the sound of a maple backed guitar. So I guess I really don’t know what I want is where I am going. Love any thoughts!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
The F-50 (sitka over maple) and the F-50R (sitka over Indian Rosewood) are your best bets. The JF-65 and the JF-55 are the same as the F-50 and F-50R respectively, except that these latter models seem to bring slightly less prices in the vintage market. If you're into 12 strings, there's the F-412 (sitka over maple) and the F-512 (sitka over Indian Rosewood). Oxnard is unfortunately renumbering these jumbos. Thus they're calling the F-50s now F-55s, and they've gotten rid of the F-412 name and call both the maple and Indian Rosewood F-512; though they haven't yet announced availability of the F-512 (maple). Oxnard is also making a mahogany jumbo which they're calling the F-40. This model was briefly available in the mid 1970s and it was called F-48.

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
That’s some good info.
I have a hard time deciding if I want a 6 or 12. I’m looking mostly for something as an accompaniment to singing, mainly at home. I enjoy singing with my current 12, but who doesn’t like how easy a 6 plays after being used to a 12!
With Guilds I also have what seems to be. Common connondrum. Why pay the cost of a new guitar when I can get a used model at such a deal. I’d be interested in others thoughts on if the older wood is typically better (I know it’s aged, depending on year). Is there any real advantage to buying new beyond being the only owner and knowing its entire history?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Is there any real advantage to buying new beyond being the only owner and knowing its entire history?

Specs for the F50 have slightly evolved over time at each of the Guild shops. In general, the F50 jumbo has become a lighter build and the neck profile has become somewhat slimmer. Bracing has also changed in the last iteration (F55). I own a new Oxnard F55 and own other New Hartford builds. Personally for me, the F55 is a combination of the best sounding most comfortable, easiest playing guitar I have in my current arsenal. It suits my playing style perfectly and I love it to death. But I think any of the Guild jumbos from any era would be a great acquisition.

One advantage to buying new is the lifetime guarantee, if that is something that's important to you.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The Guild model names just confuse me once you get to the Jumbo models (the dreds are hard enough). What is what and which is which?
"In the beginning..." there was the F50, defined by a 17" wide lower bout and top-of-the line appointments.
It retained its model number over the years with one exception as mentioned before, the F50/F50r became the JF55/JF65 from late '80's to end of Westerly in '01
Very shortly after that, '54 IIRC, came the F40, defined by a 16" lower bout and also highly appointed when introduced.
Some folks will say that technically that's a "Small" jumbo but it's got the jumbo outline, none the less.
THAT shape's become increasingly popular here because of its ease-of-play advantage, without giving up much if any volume and tone to the dreadnoughts and F50.*
I recently realized that that basic outline might have given rise to more model variants than any other in Guild's history, it includes the F47, the "GF" series of the mid-80's, and the "Fxxce" cutaway electrics of the mid-'80's to end of Westerly as I explained here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...0-Lovers-Unite!!/page3&highlight=lovers+unite

If anybody wants to recommend models I should watch for I would appreciate that also! In my dreds I have fallen in love with my spruce topped hog b/s D25M, but my 12 string Seagull with a spruce top and rosewood b/s definitely has a special shimmer to it. In recordings I’ve highly enjoyed the snap in the sound of a maple backed guitar. So I guess I really don’t know what I want is where I am going. Love any thoughts!
F40's were traditionally maple-archbacks like the F50 but the "shape" was available in every different tonewood and various depths over the years.
The only thing that torques my top greatly right now is that for some reason Oxnard doesn't seem to have the traditional 16" lower bout planned for production or even a slot for it in their model-numbering system, because I do prefer to buy new, for the warranty and the aforementioned "history of ownership".
Plus I still get a "honeymoon moment" once in a while when uncasing the F65ce, heck, even the D25, now that its top has become so ambered-out, and the D40 because it's still so "white", because it's only been outside abut 3 times in its life.
:friendly_wink:

**Among owners of both models the F50 does seem to get a majority if not universal reports of having "the edge".

Oh yeah, "PS": the 12-string versions of the F40 would be the F212 or F312 for 'hog or rosewood variants.

Last edited:

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Do say a JF-30 12 vs the 55/65? Sorry! I’m sure these are seemingly simple and annoying questions. As I also mentioned it’s a ways off before I purchase, just trying to educate myself before I shop...

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
And there's also the F-212XL which has a 17" bout; though the F-212 (16" bout I believe) is no slouch in the volume and tone department. Both are sitka spruce over mahogany. Adorshki is correct to point out that the 16" models also qualify as jumbos. So, you got maybe too many options now? The JF-30-12 is simply a JF-65-12 without the bling, and maybe slightly less quality woods, but nothing to worry about. There are plenty of LTGers who love their JF-30s, both six and twelve string versions.

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Thank you! Lots and lots of options for sure.

I saw a few nice JF-30 12 models.

I’m leaning towards a 12, I find it easier to sing along with. If I didn’t have a family I’d just buy one of each! Hoping to build a nice Guild and Godin collection through life, they have been the brands I’ve fallen most in love with.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My own experience with Jumbos from different makers is that except for looks and bling, there's not all thàt much to be gained from that extra inch of width, and what people refer to as "mini jumbos" (nothing mini about them in practice though!) usually sounds as good if not better. And the "mini's" are a little more comfortable to play and hold, though still not small guitars by any standard.

What I'm referring to would be something like a J-185 in Gibson lingo, or a Guild F-47, a guitar with largely the same figure of eight silhouette as a J-200 or an F-50, but with a 16" bout. And if you like maple bodied guitars, see if you can try a used New Hartford (last U.S. factory before the current one) F-47M. New Hartford made some great guitars, and the F-47's do come up for sale and are usually not crazy expensive for the guitar you're getting. I have the rosewood version myself, and it's a pretty huge sounding, loud guitar.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
That's right, the F-47 is a special guitar. I've owned 2 of them, one maple, the other a Guild GSR F-47 Koa Venetian cutaway. The special aspect of the NH F-47 is that it's slightly deeper at the lower bout, giving it more volume. I would definitely consisder an NH F-47 maple if you like the snappiness of that tone wood. I sure do.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
One positive vote for JF65-Maple back and sides-love the sound and playability. And a looker, too.

Neal

Reaction score
An arch-backed maple F-50 is the most balanced guitar I have ever owned. Superb for strumming and fingerstyle, but not so hot as a flat-picker.

Other than perhaps an old Gibson J-45/J-50, I can't imagine a guitar that is better suited for vocal accompaniment.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....The JF-30-12 is simply a JF-65-12 without the bling....

....which is simply an F412 without the bling. :tiger:

....and maybe slightly less quality woods....

Apparently that depends. My JF30-12 out of Corona has a gorgeous ebony fretboard, and the top is AAA quality or close to it. I know the ebony board is not typical on this model, but they're out there. The 'bling' missing is the headstock badge and the fancy fret markers.

Gotta be careful about buying older guitars online, though. Ask about the action, the saddle height, etc. The price of a brand new top-o-line Guild is a bit prohibitive for me. But the used market is pretty good.... if you can find what you're looking for.... in very good condition.

Here is an example of a pretty good looking JF30-12 up on reverb at the moment. (Some of the others I would stay away from.)

Good luck when you're ready to pull the trigger. Jumbos are the best! :tiger:

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
....which is simply an F412 without the bling. :tiger:

Apparently that depends. My JF30-12 out of Corona has a gorgeous ebony fretboard, and the top is AAA quality or close to it. I know the ebony board is not typical on this model, but they're out there. The 'bling' missing is the headstock badge and the fancy fret markers.

Gotta be careful about buying older guitars online, though. Ask about the action, the saddle height, etc. The price of a brand new top-o-line Guild is a bit prohibitive for me. But the used market is pretty good.... if you can find what you're looking for.... in very good condition.

Here is an example of a pretty good looking JF30-12 up on reverb at the moment. (Some of the others I would stay away from.)

Good luck when you're ready to pull the trigger. Jumbos are the best! :tiger:

Why’d you have to post the one close to me! I had that on my watch list already....!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Apparently that depends. My JF30-12 out of Corona has a gorgeous ebony fretboard, and the top is AAA quality or close to it.
I don't think Guild ever actually spec'd 'em that way, it's just that their "AA" was that good.
See the specs on the '01 list:
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/files/Guild2001.pdf
Having pointed that out just "for the record", I've also become increasingly suspicious that Corona inherited a bunch of high-quality Westerly stuff that they simply started using just to get it used up, or maybe to
keep the cost of new material acquisition down.
The maple tops on late Westerly/Corona Bluesbirds get raves in the solid body forum, for instance.
In fact now that I think about it, it occurs to me that the ebony board AND the top on yours may well have been leftover stock intended for the JF65/12 which was spec'd for a triple-A top, but wasn't offered in Corona....

Reaction score
I have a bunch of Jumbos (see my sig) and I love em all!
2 JF30s (one Westerly, one Corona, spruce over maple), a NH F50 ( spruce/maple), 2 Tacoma-built F50Rs (spruce/rosewood), and a G41 which is technically a dread, but jumbo-sized with a 26.25 scale and a 17” body (spruce/mahogany)... as well as a Gibson SJ200 (spruce/maple).

Being a taller than average guy, I like the jumbo size. Just feels natural. Dreads feel a little small and compact for me. Some guys find jumbos a bit awkward, but hey, Bonnie Raitt plays them and she’s tiny!

Having said that, I usually reach for my sunburst 2005 F-50r for just about everything! Best all-around guitar I’ve ever owned. Love the jumbo spruce over rosewood.. warm but very articulate!

And ,call me superficial, but I love the bling!!!

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....In fact now that I think about it, it occurs to me that the ebony board AND the top on yours may well have been leftover stock intended for the JF65/12 which was spec'd for a triple-A top, but wasn't offered in Corona....

Could be. It's a stellar instrument.