My recording gear for those who want to know. :)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to share my set up so to say so I'll list my gear then show all kinds of pics . There is a secret to good recording I might share at the end hehehehehe.

Mic's
MXL V63M . Many think these mics are so good but most have not tried them or there getting reviews by studio masters , well Duh !
The V63M is a killer mic yes Marshall is the mother company. very feq response and good on floor noise level.

MXL 603S penceil mic I through this mic in the mix every now and then . It also rated pretty good I'd like to get a matched set .

MonoPrice 600850 I have two . These mics are multi pattern being a cardioid pattern along with a excellent omni and figure 8 which is a excellent option for for recording two vocalists on one mic or for adding more "room" be it reverb or wanting to add ambient space to a instrument theres a few ways to describe that . The omni option does the same in way as the fig 8 so the if you look at the number 8 each circle represents a cardioid pattern one on both sides of the mic. The Omni pattern is a full 360. I used the fig 8 on my OM-120 demo song along the MXL listed above more that in a bit.

The mic is a large diaphragm 1 1/4" capsule pressure gradient condenser . I can go in to the specs if you like but not now . I will tell you this a weapon of mass destruction it weights in at 2lbs and the capacitors in this thing are a beast ! it takes about 20 sec to power down same when switching patterns.

MonoPrice Memphis Blue . I also have two of these. This mic design many have seen before its classic . The mic is dynamic and it kicks *** on vocals it sensitivity is impressive. the wind screen is not that great so you can get polsives or P pop . not an issue if step back or sing off center . This is one of the best sounding dynamic mics Ive heard . its great on its own but it offers another gift and thats" air " so if vocal track is lacking clarity this mic will do the trick .

Blue Mics , I have one Blue Spark another wonderful lollipop mic small diaphragm capsule 3/4 inch I believe standard cardioid pattern with a pad switch.

I use these mics in various combinations but the Monoprice 600850 is always in the mix its that good .

Recording Daw and interface,

My interface is a lexicon I-0 42 its has four channels , 2 head phone jacks located left side off interface monitor mixing control , monitor outs and s/pdif outs , Midi in and out . balanced monitor outs balanced combo XLR/Tsp or 1/4 jacks . Two instruments jacks right side of unit . allother input and outputs located on the back. its I nice neat package with dbx® 60V high-voltage, ultra-low noise mic preamps on all 4 channels. stereo or mono recording option.

My Daw .

Reason 8.3.2 this can be a tad over the top for some so yeah LOL

k Im gunna show the pics a few of the daw showing racks mixers , plug ins Etc . Reason is hands on active daw ( my words ) meaning you can wire up your components as see fit just like having all the floor peddles and switching up and over and around LOL

K also you need a good pc to handle it all.

OK lastly for the recording of the OM-120 I used a standard set up . monoprice pointing at the 12th fret at level and the MXL V63M pointing at the bridge . Since the guitar performed well with this set I left as is . Each guitar records differently so you have to move the mics around to find the sweet spot , there many configurations.

pic time.

WDehfPR.jpg
[/IMG]
qEVkOvv.jpg
[/IMG]
ZDAsvV7.jpg
[/IMG]
3e5NZxo.jpg
[/IMG]
do8ecev.jpg
[/IMG]
FSbsiZf.jpg
[/IMG]
nMQkCpF.jpg
[/IMG]
xXESA6O.jpg
[/IMG]

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
interface and daw pics the daw pics show some of the options and gear plus a Master mixer board based off some big thing in England or something . LOL
SwAfYNt.jpg
[/IMG]
zE5xmZe.jpg
[/IMG]
X6CqBpc.jpg
[/IMG]
qy1G6ij.jpg
[/IMG]
KCHe9MP.jpg
[/IMG]
LRR9IiL.jpg
[/IMG]

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
last few pics .

cvTPAPi.jpg
[/IMG]

For your wiring desire :)
5di9tJj.jpg
[/IMG]
should of put this one up top , you can lots and lots of tracks :)
cEB2EoB.jpg
[/IMG]

ok Thats it and Im sure ya all glad LOL

oh and the secret to good recording is ................. Clutter ! it's awesome on damping and for reflecting good frequencies to the mics :)

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Ray - very cool that you know how to use the tools & technology.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes and really it’s funny the only thing that defeats me is the drums . I say defeat like there’s nothing else but I referring to things I use or want to use .

This Daw is about as deep as the universe I don’t get everything like in-depth synths and adjusting envelopes etc the list goes on . Lol

Reason keeps getting better and better and with each new upgrade I’m sure I’m that much more in the dark lol

Reason 10 is out I’ll uograde because it can now use VST and VSTi’s and I have a bunch of those if they still work . When they went crazy on copy right laws it caused all kinds of issues with the VST world .

Sal

Reaction score
Thanks Ray, you've got it down! I was deep into Reason and Pro Tools but I fell out of it when Pro Tools intentionally hobbled Rewire, the interface that allowed the two programs to communicate so well. I want to get back to it and I understand Reason may be all I need now. I've got a pretty good library of Sonic Refills and drum loops in REX format. Tons of fun!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ray, you've got it down! I was deep into Reason and Pro Tools but I fell out of it when Pro Tools intentionally hobbled Rewire, the interface that allowed the two programs to communicate so well. I want to get back to it and I understand Reason may be all I need now. I've got a pretty good library of Sonic Refills and drum loops in REX format. Tons of fun!

Most excellent !

I tend not to use any effects or mastering on my acoustic tunes less some reverb .

It’s been awhile since I’ve done any multi tracking with keys and synths . I’ve just not had the time to put into it .

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am happy to say, I have the most important part down, the clutter! The rest... still working on. Thanks for sharing Ray.

Lol , I’m still trying to clean up the mess from the X’s removal along my projects like recording desk which got put on hold it’s in the back round of the photos then I tore down my built in wall unit because as a entertainment area it was totally non functional .

That’s been going slow as all my wood working projects have to happen on the back deck and subject to the weather conditions lol one to stain a board next day to clear coat another day to set and then recoat and pray no bugs want in on the project or it’s more days sanding and recoating lol

Maybe I’ll post that project lol

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not so bad coug plan audio recording is easy to do .
your into keys to right ? With a midi controller keyboard that’s easy to use as well it’s the diving into all the tweeking features that takes a bit .

So you can just load presets of any type keys you want grand piano, organ , strings synths and soft pads etc .

You’d like it once you get some time in .

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
does anyone who records NOT use computer software? like has a more old-school approach?

Neal

Reaction score
does anyone who records NOT use computer software? like has a more old-school approach?

I have been using a simple one-channel, one-microphone interface into Garage Band on my iPad. That is as simple as it gets without using an iPhone/iPad with a lavaliere mic.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

You can find multi track recorders there digital these days . Lol

Anyway some can do a like but looking st a tiny screen is a bit tough .

Plain Janers just record tracks neither offer good editing options .

If you just want to record guitar tracks there’s basic audio daws out there . You can get a mic and interface for 200 or less . There’s some free audio software out there also . If Kristal is still running I suggest that . You can load vst’s ( effects ) from third party makers many great free ones !!!!

Kristal audio engine is what started my path off .
Before Kristal 2 was to come out Presonus bought it and renamed it Studio one . The work flow is almost the same as Kristal . Studio one or K2 is free also but limited so I understand . Studio one took off and I’m not sure what version it’s on but it’s designed for the audio side first it also does midi and the likes quite well most daws do .

Reason was designed for keyboardist in you focusing on Dance ,Club and underground music .

Version 7 was the first to offer Audio recording before that I had use to programs to blend music .

Anyway basic programs can function good on a semi low end laptop but as always bigger is better .

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have been using a simple one-channel, one-microphone interface into Garage Band on my iPad. That is as simple as it gets without using an iPhone/iPad with a lavaliere mic.
Garage band works well heard some decent tunes recorded of it .

I tried it but poking an iPad and or iPhone got old .
I was very interested in getting a full iPad recording set up going but I already had the Pc

Another down side is exporting audio files and converting . Apple still foes mp4 or something ?

Bottom line expanding ones work flow on garage band becomes tedious .there are a bunch of other recording apps as well . I was into synth apps like crazy over the years . I enjoy the real thing or real keys that is .

I mentioned before the my buds in the band Refracked Memories , Mike does all the mixing along with synth / Keys / drums .

Don’t ask how the heck he does it , he got skill lol

There’s also iPad musicians on Facebook . I left the group but if your interested I believe I can get you in .

You hear some pretty cool stuff . Oh mike also does some dance type stuff all on iPad . 😁

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

As ex-Studer co-worker ( Studer-ReVox in Switzerland ) I am big fan of their reel-to-reel machines and mixing consoles. I have some . . . um . .actually quite many - including the very first model Mr Willi Studer ever built - ReVox T26 full-track mono tube-amp tape recorder - and then the last ReVox C278 - 1/2 inch tape 8-track recorder. I play around with those, but have done no guitar recordings.

Then to go back in history of sound recording - I also have a steel-wire-recorder built by Swedish company AGA - who are nowadays best known for delivering gas to industry - but they have a very fascinating history including kitchens - cars - lighthouses - you name it. So I have this one steel-wire-recorder by AGA with original mic - headphones - and remote foot switch. I have been thinking, that it might be fun to use it to following scheme.

We have here a thing, that we call "Tango name" - most of us have two or more surnames - you take the second, that is normally not used - then you take your mothers original last name - and it is quite surprising how hilarious names come up. While tango was perhaps not that popular in USA in fifties as it was here, you might consider it a "Polka name ". My tango name would be Tapani Vehkaoja.

Like John Benson Smith - mothers maiden name Lucy Parrot - so John Smith - Benson Parrot - sorry - I can not hink this in english - but you get the idea.

OK - now I have a name to use if I publish my own creations. I would record stuff with my old ReVox T26 or AGA wire-recorder - and publish it as "Tapani Vehkaoja" - Later I could publish same recordigs done with parallel Condenser mic - digital mixer - DAW - versions that was made at same time - leaving some wondering how exactly I managed to copy all those old songs.

I stole last part of this idea from John Fahey who published albums "Blind Joe Death" and "The Legend of Blind Joe Death"

After all this veer ( new word I learned on this very forum ) - mostly I record to computer via digital mixing console. My gear is ten times better than my playing, so I have not put anything anywhere public.

And my recording software is Tracktion - of which the older versions are free https://www.tracktion.com/ - I do all processing outside in the mixing board - plenty of power there.

Last edited: