throwaway from yesterday session with the Br

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice. Very nice.

I don't think I have ever had an acoustic guitar that didn't ring out that low D. More than E, more than C. Something about that D frequency just resonates. I have several body styles and that doesn't change. Maybe we should all just tune D-D (all strings dropped one step). Or maybe that is just MY resonant frequency.

hey Don, you bring up a great point entirely! i have heard quotes from some artists who think standard tuning should be D standard. I tried that for a while, but i prefer the tension of E standard tuning, just dropping the one big E string to D for the "growl" you and I are hearing.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Oh well just to join the stampede, magnificent, even as a "casual take".
Didn't have a chance to listen to everything I'd like to, here in the work environment so it took a whil
iPhone 7 you say?
Does it have a camera?
Might just have to get one o' those when I finally take the plunge.
Hope Ray's not looking, but man, I like the sound quality w-a-a-y better than what Ray put up for his OM120 demo, but that may just be a matter of how he records and "processes" through software.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Nice. Very nice.

I don't think I have ever had an acoustic guitar that didn't ring out that low D. More than E, more than C. Something about that D frequency just resonates. I have several body styles and that doesn't change. Maybe we should all just tune D-D (all strings dropped one step). Or maybe that is just MY resonant frequency.

Marcellis mentioned doing that with his F65ce, which prompted me to, and it's true.
I did it with my D25, too, but the '40's still in standard.
Only problem is that what DavismanLV says seems to be true;
Tuning stability gets a little wonky and thus intonation too. It'll drift a little on every tune.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh well just to join the stampede, magnificent, even as a "casual take".
Didn't have a chance to listen to everything I'd like to, here in the work environment so it took a whil
iPhone 7 you say?
Does it have a camera?
Might just have to get one o' those when I finally take the plunge.
Hope Ray's not looking, but man, I like the sound quality w-a-a-y better than what Ray put up for his OM120 demo, but that may just be a matter of how he records and "processes" through software.

thanks Al for giving it a whirl. I use the video of the iphone 7 and just take a video of like nothing really, it is more about the audio. then i upload the video to youtube, just to get an mp4 i then download into camtasia.

in camtasia i boost the volume to the point just before it breaks up.

then i delete the YT video and upload the camtasia mp4 to soundcloud.

the process sure sounds stupid, but i often like the raw result.

i am seriously thinking of buying one of the old school cassette recorders, they have remade them to connect to a laptop. something about the intimacy of recording into a mic raw from a distance to a tape. i am sure some tone is lost in the download etc or creation of the mp4, i dont know. but camtasia is the real trick for me, as it allows me to boost the signal. is that cheating? hard to say. it makes the Br sound larger. :)

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
is that cheating? hard to say. it makes the Br sound larger. :)
Absolutely not.
It's your art, you're the boss.
Whatever it takes.
To my ear you achieved that massive presence I love so much on some of my favorite acoustic vinyl, like Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name.
I wish the guitar on the Tommy version of "Pinball Wizard" had that much presence.
:eagerness:
(PS: Cool tricks, LOVE it!)
PPS: I did a lot of recording to cassette years ago and I love the way they compress the sound, vocals too.
I'd still do it if I had a decent recorder, but along about 2005 I had a buddy who had mic-to-microcassette capability, then he'd download that to a computer to create CD's, and he had great mics.
So have a bunch of stuff on CD's now and never got around to uploading my old cassette stuff to CD onto a great Sony CD-RW player I bought in about '08.
And of course still no home computer so anything uploaded to YouTube is still my girlfriend's hobby.
Speaking of which, "warts and all", this is the latest, featuring a spruce top archback '96 D25.
Excuse my plaintive wails, it's part of the atmosphere of the tune.
And the slight intonation wonkiness I mentioned when tuning down a full step is a bit audible in the bass, too.

But hey, at least this one's not sideways....:glee:
Oh and in case you're getting the dreaded "black box", the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf17Qgc6f1A

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Absolutely not.
It's your art, you're the boss.
Whatever it takes.
To my ear you achieved that massive presence I love so much on some of my favorite acoustic vinyl, like Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name.
I wish the guitar on the Tommy version of "Pinball Wizard" had that much presence.
:eagerness:
(PS: Cool tricks, LOVE it!)
PPS: I did a lot of recording to cassette years ago and I love the way they compress the sound, vocals too.
I'd still do it if I had a decent recorder, but along about 2005 I had a buddy who had mic-to-microcassette capability, then he'd download that to a computer to create CD's, and he had great mics.
So have a bunch of stuff on CD's now and never got around to uploading my old cassette stuff to CD onto a great Sony CD-RW player I bought in about '08.
And of course still no home computer so anything uploaded to YouTube is still my girlfriend's hobby.
Speaking of which, "warts and all", this is the latest, featuring a spruce top archback '96 D25.
Excuse my plaintive wails, it's part of the atmosphere of the tune.
And the slight intonation wonkiness I mentioned when tuning down a full step is a bit audible in the bass, too.

But hey, at least this one's not sideways....:glee:
Oh and in case you're getting the dreaded "black box", the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf17Qgc6f1A

thanks Al and for the vote of confidence! "Laughing" is the song most i have tried to achieve from a dripping acoustic fatness in tone sound. that is the most beautiful song i have ever heard, and not just for the incredible vocals. his Martin dread sound he gets in that one recording, just blew me away. sounds like you and I are totally synced man :).

as well, i really dig your version of that song in video. that D25 is loud. nice and jangly too, you dropped like a full step, have to be. and thumbs up to your camera operator!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
sounds like you and I are totally synced man :).
Ever since I saw that D35 cell vid you put up years ago
as well, i really dig your version of that song in video.
Thank you humbly.
The flaws stick out tome so much I was gonna keep it off the forum.
that D25 is loud. nice and jangly too, you dropped like a full step, have to be.
Yeah, you should hear it in person!
But the "jangly" comment (with which I agree) makes me think the topwood really is the definitive difference between versions, much more important than the archback/flatback question, but it still might be the cell phone mic and Youtube collaborating.
and thumbs up to your camera operator!
It's still my sweetheart, but she was catching background details I didn't allow for.
I would have cleaned up "the set" just a little bit more, but thought she was going to use the regular "single position" mode that day.
Also it creates some tiny Doppler effects when she moves in and out.
But hey, when I was debating whether to put it up in the member's music forum, I was also thinking I could tell guys who might be shy about posting not to worry, "look at what I'm willing to reveal"...and if you're looking to polish up your "presentation", it's a great method:
Wincing at your flaws during playback.....
:glee: