Final thought on Solid Body - For Now

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

It just happened about one hour ago - I was looking for something in my not-so-well-organized-workspace when I came across a pick-up with cable and plug. I remembered this thread and connected it into an active speaker input. No guitar or anything around it - and I could clearly hear the sound, that my fingers were producing. A bit similar than handling noice on vocal mic.

Thank you.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

It just happened about one hour ago - I was looking for something in my not-so-well-organized-workspace when I came across a pick-up with cable and plug. I remembered this thread and connected it into an active speaker input. No guitar or anything around it - and I could clearly hear the sound, that my fingers were producing. A bit similar than handling noice on vocal mic.

Pickups can be microphonic.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Pickups can be microphonic.

From Wikipedia
Microphonics or microphony describes the phenomenon wherein certain components in electronic devices transform mechanical vibrations into an undesired electrical signal (noise).

From which I conclude that a real world (not a controlled physics experiment) pickup may respond to something other than strings vibrating in a magnetic field. Thus there is a pathway for the pickup to respond to something other than just the vibrating string and the premise that "X cannot effect tone because X is not a vibrating string in a magnetic filed" is incorrect.

I think I am in my happy place because I believe wood can effect tone and that supports my belief. I have no strong opinion as to whether people can actually hear the difference between two different woods or not :)

I am reminded of the following joke and note that my training is in mathematics, not engineering :)

In the high school gym, all the girls in the class were lined up against one wall, and all the boys against the opposite wall.
Then, every ten seconds, they walked toward each other until they were half the previous distance apart. A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer were asked, "When will the girls and boys meet?"
The mathematician said: "Never."
The physicist said: "In an infinite amount of time."
The engineer said: "Well... in about two minutes, they'll be close enough for all practical purposes."

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I am reminded of the following joke and note that my training is in mathematics, not engineering :)

Hah, the funny version of Zeno's dichotomy paradox!

I've always liked the arrow paradox: motion cannot exist. Also expressed as: "reality is a sequence of still frames."

:)

-Dave-

GuildedCage

Reaction score
Guild Total
In before the lock!

I would propose that most older electric guitar players suffer from significant hearing loss. With all the variables in the guitar sound chain, any impact from the wood would not be apparent.

COULD YOU REPEAT THAT PLEASE? I DIDN'T HEAR WHAT YOU WERE SAYING THE FIRST TIME! OLDER ECLECTIC SITAR PLAYERS SUFFER WHAT?:wink-new:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Would you mind using a larger font? I seem to have misplaced my glasses. I'm not sure I heard you before.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pitt Pastor have u gone into any guitar shops and played some electric guitars yet? ur missing out

PittPastor

Reaction score
Pitt Pastor have u gone into any guitar shops and played some electric guitars yet? ur missing out

I haven't really had a chance. There's a bunch of stuff going on over here right now. Hate it when life interferes with things I like doing in life.

One thing that I hate about trying out electric guitars at GC, tho, is invariably there is some kid there who wants to have a shred battle. You pick a guitar off of the wall, sit down and plug in, and some joker comes over, plugs in right next to you and starts riffing.

By contrast the acoustic room is really well behaved. I have gone into the "high end" acoustic room to look at guitars, and if a guy is in there playing, he'll almost always offers to stop if I am trying out something I am thinking of buying. I have left the room before to give it to guys testing guitars as well -- once even loaning the guy my snark before I left. (Happy to say he sought me out to give it back, since I am really forgetful about things like that.)

But not electrics. I need to find a new place to test those. However, there is a Guild sighting at the Pittsburgh GC right now. Very unusual. It's a Guild CE-100D hollow-body tho, not solid body electric. Still have thought about going there and playing it just because I can! Hardly ever get anything GUILD around here.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
But not electrics. I need to find a new place to test those. However, there is a Guild sighting at the Pittsburgh GC right now. Very unusual. It's a Guild CE-100D hollow-body tho, not solid body electric. Still have thought about going there and playing it just because I can! Hardly ever get anything GUILD around here.

Yeah you should do that just to improve the odds of running across a solid-body.
:biggrin-new:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
COULD YOU REPEAT THAT PLEASE? I DIDN'T HEAR WHAT YOU WERE SAYING THE FIRST TIME! OLDER ECLECTIC SITAR PLAYERS SUFFER WHAT?:wink-new:

Well, yes, being older and playing a sitar could be considered "eclectic"...

walrus

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
One thing that I hate about trying out electric guitars at GC, tho, is invariably there is some kid there who wants to have a shred battle.

I don't spend a lot of time in GC, but I have been told of two tricks that might work.

The first is to try and visit early in the morning (9 or 10 AM as defined by the GC's hours) on a weekday during school hours. That means most of the high school shredders will be in school or playing hooky. The folks who are "up that early" will typically be more mature and perhaps even focused on learning something about an instrument they want to buy rather than showing off.

A little more difficult (because if you bring your own equipment you need to make sure the GC staff understands it is yours and that you are not shoplifting) would be to use headphones or your own headphone amp. Then you don't have to hear everyone else.

While electric players in a guitar store get a deservedly bad rap it should be noted that there are stories on LTG of acoustic players who also could use a lesson on courtesy. So it's just not the type of instrument :)

PittPastor

Reaction score
Yeah you should do that just to improve the odds of running across a solid-body.
:biggrin-new:

I think I'd have to buy it for that to happen. And I'd have to trade my Savoy to do that. Even then, I think my wife might have a few questions for me. (Side question tho -- I guess its the wrong forum -- but which would you rather: 2014 Guild Savoy 150A or Guild 2014 CE-100D -- serial # KSG1400777 so I think that makes it a 2014? Right? -- I'm not much on numbers, but I kind of dig the 777 at the end :) )

The first is to try and visit early in the morning (9 or 10 AM as defined by the GC's hours) on a weekday during school hours. That means most of the high school shredders will be in school or playing hooky. The folks who are "up that early" will typically be more mature and perhaps even focused on learning something about an instrument they want to buy rather than showing off.

Trick A: Is challenging for me only because the "Pittsburgh" Guitar Center is actually on the way to the Pittsburgh Airport, and not easy to get to that early.
Trick B: Taking a headset I guess wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm pretty sure I have gear that GC doesn't sell, so that makes it easy to explain. I took my Guild D40C to GC once when I wanted to compare it with newer Matins and Taylors. They were pretty cool about that. I was lucky that day in that there was hardly anyone else there.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think I'd have to buy it for that to happen. And I'd have to trade my Savoy to do that. Even then, I think my wife might have a few questions for me. (Side question tho -- I guess its the wrong forum -- but which would you rather: 2014 Guild Savoy 150A or Guild 2014 CE-100D -- serial # KSG1400777 so I think that makes it a 2014? Right? -- I'm not much on numbers, but I kind of dig the 777 at the end :) )
W-e-e-l-l....I'd have to say I couldn't answer that without having each one in my lap for a few minutes to test "playing feel".
Those being equal I'd have to consider what I was most likely to do with it, but my suspicion is that I'd wind up trying to like the CE-100 more, as a structural relative of the Starfire and probably a little louder in unplugged mode.