Looking for opinions: S-300D

Reaction score
Greetings from Corning, NY.

I have a very nice 79 S-300D that I picked up recently to keep on hand in my studio. The original bridge DiMarzio was replaced by a prior owner with a modern Seymour Duncan that does not sound pleasing to me. I am soliciting opinions for what to replace the SD with. I could shop for a used vintage Dimarzo or could use a new pickup (I am partial to Sentell and Lollar pickups but am open to any and all ideas).

Also, does anyone know if late 70’s super distortions were voiced differently for neck and bridge? If not I could move the neck top the bridge (which might sound interesting even if they were voiced differently I suppose).

Thanks,
Andrew

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The original neck pickup would have been a '59 and the bridge a Super Distortion. I love S300ADs, so I'd put it back to original.

ianb

Reaction score
Man,I've got a 70's superdistortion in the pickup box and I don't think there's any position delineation marked on it anywhere. I know the offered f- spaced versions at some Point in the early 80's but I don't ever remember seeing a neck or bridge version differentiation on any of them.

Reaction score
Man,I've got a 70's superdistortion in the pickup box and I don't think there's any position delineation marked on it anywhere. I know the offered f- spaced versions at some Point in the early 80's but I don't ever remember seeing a neck or bridge version differentiation on any of them.

Thanks very much for the info. I'll look around for a vintage SD.