The Rest of My Herd

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Rich, your beautiful, well composed photos of these guitars makes me want to throw
away my camera - you got the Guitars in the Garden thing down!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
is the JF-100 17 inch lower bout, or 16? that thing is the crown jewel!

edit: actually it must be 17 inches since it is a “J” F...

too big for me, thankfully!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
is the JF-100 17 inch lower bout, or 16? that thing is the crown jewel!

edit: actually it must be 17 inches since it is a “J” F...

too big for me, thankfully!

17" it is. The G-41 is also 17". I believe it is the largest production dred ever made.
Are you an acoustic or electric player?

MLBob

Reaction score
An amazing collection, Rich!
How do you ever decide which one to play on any given day?

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
An amazing collection, Rich!
How do you ever decide which one to play on any given day?

Generally, I keep rotating through them. Sometimes I get stuck on one or two for a few days, but generally cycle through them. I have been known to be fickle about the six guitars in my collection, resulting in selling and buying sporadically. However, now I believe I'm in a good place vis-a-vis the variation in tone qualities and the collecting factor. Presently, I'm really enjoying my two latest acquisitions, the F-512 and F-412. Last night I played at an open mic in Charlottesville with the F-412. She rang out like an orchestra. One has to be careful not to play too loud, as it crowds out the words of the song.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's the 45th Anniversary (patterned on the on the 1966 F-30).

Respectfully sir, in the past couple of years Hans has had to correct that misprint in the Harmony Central article that ID'd it that way, a couple of times, I think..
It's actually a 16" wide lower bout patterned after the original F40 Valencia outline, as mentioned in the description of the Valencia in the '97 Guild Gallery.
If after re-checking the lower bout diameter (I know somebody did this after the last time it came up, in fact I thought it was you?!?!) I'm wrong, come back and spread my name all over the place, after you've stepped on my blue suede shoes...
:friendly_wink:
EDit: Whoopsie, there I go posting before finishing the whole thread again, and I see Hans already had to post that correction again.

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Adorshki,
I trust your memory, not mine. Whether it's patterned on the F-30 or F-40, I don't really care. The shape/size is great for me. The quality of the craftsmanship is impeccable, resulting in a huge sound, sustain and intonation.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Adorshki,
I trust your memory, not mine. Whether it's patterned on the F-30 or F-40, I don't really care. The shape/size is great for me. The quality of the craftsmanship is impeccable, resulting in a huge sound, sustain and intonation.
'zackly what sparked my "F40 Lovers Unite" thread a while back: the realization that size was just perfect for me too.
And Guild must have known about some kind of magic inherent in the dimensions, to have derived so many variants from it.
It's why it torques my top so greatly that Oxnard has no provision for a 16" jumbo in its model-numbering system.
PS I love your garden, too.
With or without the guitars.
:friendly_wink:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You're a lucky guy, Rich!! And that LAST ONE!! Holy crap!! What a beautiful guitar. I started off with all these dreads (which I love very much) but been focusing on the smaller bodied guitars!! Congrats on such a KILLER collection!!

Neal

Reaction score
Here's what Rich failed to mention:

He plays these guitars in public. In bars. Crowded bars, full of opportunities to ding one. Chairs. Tables. People who are drinking and walking around! He offers them to other musicians to play, too.

I hold my breath every time he takes one out of its case, praying for its safe return to the plush lining from which it came.

No way I could handle that pressure. I play beat up stuff in bars!

merlin6666

Reaction score
He plays these guitars in public. In bars. Crowded bars, full of opportunities to ding one. Chairs. Tables. People who are drinking and walking around! He offers them to other musicians to play, too.

Funny thing is that people in settings like that are clueless about cool Guilds and not able to appreciate them. I take my Orpheums out regularly to acoustic jams, and while I get the odd compliment there is also absolutely zero awareness about them.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Funny thing is that people in settings like that are clueless about cool Guilds and not able to appreciate them. I take my Orpheums out regularly to acoustic jams, and while I get the odd compliment there is also absolutely zero awareness about them.

yeah. the only reaction i get re my old Guild dread is it was made in 1971.