Kings of the Twelves

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Was, are and always will be Emperors of the Twelve Strings.
2013 F-412 SB

7gE14qJ.jpg

1973 F-512 Restored to former glory by Tom Jacob.

fBlmjrK.jpg

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Love them both, but that burst is really pretty!

walrus

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep, those are the kings! I guess that makes my JF30-12 a knave....

jib790.jpg

....that sounds like a king!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Poor me - only have 512 & 212 - so I will loose by 200 . . .

Your guitars look gorgeous - after what Tom did - nobody would ever think there was anything wrong with it. Live long !!!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Beautiful set of 12 strings Rich! That F412 looks like the sister to my mint Burst 2013 F512. Congrats on a nice score.

TX

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
That is a fine collection of instruments Rich... both the 12 strings and the 6 strings.

Thanks for taking the time to photograph them and then post them for us to see.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
your backyard is awesome!

Thanks! My wife and I spend A LOT of time planting, pruning, weeding, feeding, etc Also, enjoying the fruits (literally) of a labors: pears, persimmons, butternut squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, bitter gourd, turaai (type of Indian squash) and eggplant, chillies, etc.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks! My wife and I spend A LOT of time planting, pruning, weeding, feeding, etc Also, enjoying the fruits (literally) of a labors: pears, persimmons, butternut squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, bitter gourd, turaai (type of Indian squash) and eggplant, chillies, etc.

yeah. we created a large garden area in the spring, currently waiting for the permaculture approach to work, and the heat to subside a bit before we start to plant. probably start up end of sept, early oct. hope to have a crop by thanksgiving. 30 by 30 feet square plot too. putting in the fence was brutal, with the hard desert ground. but that is kind of my natural approach to home farm work etc. i do till my lower back gives out, then stand down for a couple months, then do again :).

my wife is the brains, i am the muscle.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
yeah. we created a large garden area in the spring, currently waiting for the permaculture approach to work, and the heat to subside a bit before we start to plant. probably start up end of sept, early oct. hope to have a crop by thanksgiving. 30 by 30 feet square plot too. putting in the fence was brutal, with the hard desert ground. but that is kind of my natural approach to home farm work etc. i do till my lower back gives out, then stand down for a couple months, then do again :).

my wife is the brains, i am the muscle.

Looks like we share the "brains/muscle" arrangement. I don't envy the environmental challenges you face. I used to own a 2010 Guild GSR F-40 cocobolo which had a crack below the bridge to the binding. Apparently it was first owned by Chris Fleming (Dir of Research and Development) for Fender when it owned Guild. Chris lives in Phoenix, where the guitar succumbed to the dry environment...my guess. The guitar dried out, even the fret ends were showing beyond the fingerboard. Had those filed down and the crack cleated. Later traded the guitar up for the Guild 45th anniversary.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like we share the "brains/muscle" arrangement. I don't envy the environmental challenges you face. I used to own a 2010 Guild GSR F-40 cocobolo which had a crack below the bridge to the binding. Apparently it was first owned by Chris Fleming (Dir of Research and Development) for Fender when it owned Guild. Chris lives in Phoenix, where the guitar succumbed to the dry environment...my guess. The guitar dried out, even the fret ends were showing beyond the fingerboard. Had those filed down and the crack cleated. Later traded the guitar up for the Guild 45th anniversary.

oh we miss the north country. both my wife and I love the more northern climes. one day :)
the good thing about my old Guild dread: it appears impervious to climate change at this point. 47 years old, and when not playing it, hangs on a wall. it gets dried out by A/C, crazy heat, you name it. I keep a Lifeguard sound hole humidifier in it when I am not playing it and am pretty good about replenishing the moisture once a week.

i actually think the Br likes the dryness.

ezstrummer

Reaction score
Beautiful 12 strings. are they electric? where is the battery? I just ordered a 12 string and the battery is in the sound hole? Does that mean I have to remove all the strings to change it? I was always told never remove all the strings at the same time on a 1 string?? Has anyone ever done this before?