New 12-string

MLBob

Reaction score
Have been trying some of the 12 string guitars that have smaller neck profiles over the past few weeks, and fell in love with this 12-Fret Taylor 562ce.

The one I ended up buying arrived this past week, and I am very pleased with its volume and at how easy it is to play. The grand concert body is extremely comfortable.

Addendum : Love affair didn't last very long, as that comfortable neck proved to have way too flat a fretboard radius for me. Started to get a lot of "wonky" overtones when chording. It was a well made, wonderful guitar, but just not the one I thought it would be for me. No Knock on Taylors - the quality was superb, but I have to say that this one is probably more suited to a fingerstyle player that it was to me.

UEciEMJ.jpg
[/IMG]

8xiDeuU.jpg
[/IMG]

YouTube review: https://youtu.be/v4Zt8vFh0W4

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a really neat guitar, MLBob. Taylor's small-bodies are super comfortable. I've never tried one of them in 12-strings. This looks great. Looks like mahogany body. Is the top mahogany too?

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Taylor's road show was at the Acoustic Vibes store in Tempe several months back. They had one of these as a test bed for folks at the session but there were so many people talking and several more playing (or trying to) that it was impossible to hear anything. I even tried sticking my ear down on the side of the upper bout but there was still so much ambient noise that I could not hear anything worthwhile. I went back a few days later on the weekend figuring it was quiet enough I could hear something but it had been sold the day before. It may be a fall back if I am unable to find a proper all hog Guild dread 12. No rush however as I am loving the 312 acquired from Chazmo.
And I agree 100% on the necks. I think for today's production guitars, Taylor's neck is right at the top for playability.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi, Steve,

Glad you're still digging the G-312.

Slim pickin's when it comes to all-mahogany dreadnought 12s from Guild, Steve. A GAD/100-series/Westerly-series/whatever-ya-call-it D-25-12 is the only one I can think of that actually has a mahogany top too. Very nice guitars, by the way, if you can find one. I have to say, you'd be remiss in your search if you didn't give an F-212XL (mahogany jumbo with spruce top) a try. While I've always considered mine from New Hartford to be a bit tight, some of the older ones I've played from Westerly are like angels singing. Of course the entire world of Guild jumbo 12s is just one knockout after another. In any case, I don't think there's anything in Guild's inventory that's remotely similar to this Taylor.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi, Steve,

Glad you're still digging the G-312.

Slim pickin's when it comes to all-mahogany dreadnought 12s from Guild, Steve.
Pretty darn sure somebody surprised me with a D17-12 the last time I had the same thought.
But still pretty d--n rare.
:friendly_wink:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My, that's a pretty obscure one, Al, but good catch... touché! Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars lists a D-17-12 in 1984. Sounds like a unicorn, but hey... :)

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My, that's a pretty obscure one, Al, but good catch... touché! Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars lists a D-17-12 in 1984. Sounds like a unicorn, but hey... :)

It exists, one of our members from the southeastern quadrant (IIRC) showed it to me when I made that same guess about the GAD version myself, a couple of months back.
I'm just forgetting who it was...Stuball or Arkie?
It'll definitely have 2 truss rods, too.
:glee: