Let'sTalkGibsonSongwriter12

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I just picked one of these up! I don't expect this is too treasonous here in Guildville to have been seduced by a Gibson 12-string, once they got their 12-string act together. I'd eyed the Songwriters for a while, but of course they're ridiculously expensive. This was listed as used (not stamped used!), so I paid much less than a new one. Nevertheless, it's a 2018. I can't imagine anyone returning it after buying it brand new, but maybe that's the story. It was up on reverb (briefly) by Chicago Music Exchange. They were great. I got prompt reponses to my emails, their guy answered my questions, dealt reasonably, that was it, I'll take it.

So it actually arrived two days early with UPS. (Of course, they're the ones who set the original delivery date, so who knows.) Still, the truck had apparently been out all day and finally got to me around 6 pm. The box was hot, but cooled down fairly quickly once I got it inside. CME has their own box that suggests waiting 24 hours. It also has a Shockwatch Monitored Shipment device that turns red if the package is bumped too hard, apparently. It was red.

I wasn't too worried about that. The box was still in good shape. So I had waited for the delivery, which is bad enough, and now I'm waiting for the box/guitar to acclimatize. This is worse! :sulkiness:

It was getting late. I left it in the box overnight. Opened this morning. Flawless. FLAW-LESS. A super superior "rosewood" burst, and the abalone rosette is just killer. This is a 2018 Limited Edition Rosewood Burst Songwriter Deluxe 12-String. (Limited Edition means they put a "Limited" on the truss rod cover, otherwise it's a Songwriter Deluxe Studio, I believe, which is just fine with me.) After checking her over for any tiny flaw, finding none, I tuned her up. I must say, the JF30-12 sounds a little fuller, richer. But of course it does, it's a jumbo. The Songwriter's a 16"-lower-bout square-shoulder dread. It's got a 12-string tone of its own. It is definitely a keeper. Somehow my camera makes the burst color redder than it is. It's more like the photo in the linked GC ad. Anyway, here are some pics. It really happened!

son513-2.jpg

son516.jpg

son518.jpg

son519.jpg

son522.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations and if one cannot like that guitar his "liker" is malfunctioning!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gosh, that's a beauty, Cougs... Gibby's mustaches and PGs aren't my thing, but that is a beautiful guitar. The 'burst is gorgeous.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hell yes, that is knock-my-eyeballs-out gorgeous - great pics! - congrats man!

bobouz

Reaction score
That is simply a beautiful guitar throughout.

Every visual aspect of it seems to come together perfectly!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hyvin kaunis kitara - onnittelut !!!

dbirchett

Reaction score
Songwriters are great guitars. Weren't they designed by our friend Ren Ferguson?

beecee

Reaction score
Gosh, that's a beauty, Cougs... Gibby's mustaches and PGs aren't my thing, but that is a beautiful guitar. The 'burst is gorgeous.

+1 but man look at the lumber on that beauty.

Curious, how does the quality of the abalone compare to a Guild abalone if you have any to A/B?

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Curious, how does the quality of the abalone compare to a Guild abalone if you have any to A/B?

It seems more "colorful," but mainly the abalone rosette looks about twice as thick as the F50R's. Not too thick. Just right, if you ask me.

PittPastor

Reaction score
I have no problem admitting Gibson has some great guitars out there. Congrats! I love the detail around the rosette.

You said that you camera makes it look more red in the burst than it is? Does it affect the color of the side wood as well? I've never seen one of these beauties in real life -- only pictures. In pictures, the brown of the wood sides has always seemed a bit off to me from the red of the burst. I love the color of that burst! Seems to me that if you're going to do that, I'd "red up" the brown sides and back a bit. But, maybe that's just me, or it might just be camera light. The important thing is how it sounds though. And I like your description of the sound.

Congrats again!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Songwriters are great guitars. Weren't they designed by our friend Ren Ferguson?

is what i heard as well. one of his first designs when he took over PD for Gibson? not sure about the latter part but i do think Songwriters were his baby.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice score now change the bridge shape , change the pickup and yup it’s a keeper ! Oh wait did so say that out load ? Stupid inner voice !!! Lol

Let’s hear it !!!!! I like the top very silky and nice looking burst to !

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sorry, but removing that famous and well known/recognized moustache bridge would be like taking away the G Shield or Chesterfield logo off one of our Guild models.

Who and why would anyone ever want to do that.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but removing that famous and well known/recognized moustache bridge would be like taking away the G Shield or Chesterfield logo off one of our Guild models.

Who and why would anyone ever want to do that.

Lol I hear ya :) maybe I’m just jealous because I can’t grow one ! Lol

bobouz

Reaction score
Of course, that's not the original mustache bridge style as seen on the J-200, but I like them all.

And yes, Ren did design the slightly modified dread body of the Songwriter.

Perfect as is - I wouldn't change a thing!

F312

Reaction score
That bridge is an icon, not my cup of tea but I've been on the hunt for one of the Gibson Songwriters with the regular looking bridge.

Ralph