New Guild Amps?

Reaction score
Had a thought course through the old grey matter a few days ago, which required a couple of aspirin. With all the new production Guild guitars, both acoustic and electric, what are the odds and your thoughts about Guild coming out with a new line of amps? Pretty slim I would guess, but I've been wrong before. Thmj.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Considering the popularity of Guild amps when they were in production (undeserved), and the fact that Córdoba knows less about amps than they do electrics; I seriously doubt it. They’d have to use overseas production into a market that is well saturated.
It doesn’t make sense for them financially.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi:

I may be misremembering, but I don't think there was any talk of Guild-branded amps during the New Hartford LMG get-togethers that we had years ago. Fender probably thought there was no need to dilute their own market(s) with additional branded amps.

It's certainly possible that Cordoba will have different plans for the brand. As it stands, I don't think CMG produces any electronics today, though.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's an interesting thought, Steve. I guess the question is whether or not certain amp brand names have any drawing power for the consumer... I'm an old-fashioned guy, but I suppose if I were shopping and saw a Fender vs. a Monoprice amp, I'd probably want the Fender. But, what do I know? :) :)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, and if it said "Marshall" on the amp, I'd take that in a second. ;) Does Monoprice make an amp that goes to 11? :)

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Monoprice amps seem to be rebadged Laneys, if the scuttlebutt is to be believed. They seem to be a pretty good deal for a modern pcb board amp.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm thinking there is no need to do so. I think the days when someone would buy a Brand X guitar and think that the best amp for it was a Brand X amp are long gone. That does seem to happen in the beginner market (guitar, amp, strap, pics, gig bag, change from $200) but there are no Guild branded electrics anywhere near that price so that's no reason for a Guild amp to exist.

Since they are not making or branding any kind of electronics now a case could be made that doing so was a gable worthy of Henry J., and we know how that worked out for Gibson.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Gretsch (under Fender's supervision) tried bringing out some boutique amps, the Playboy, the Executive and the Variety. These were old traditional names from Gretsch amps and were fantastic amps, made by Victoria, adapting Fender designs. The Playboy was a 15 watt with 1 12" speaker and tremolo. The Executive was based on the Deluxe Reverb and had Reverb and Tremolo, pushing 20 watts into a 15" speaker. I have one of these. The Variety was 40 watts into 3 10" speakers, also with Reverb and Tremolo. These were boutique amps with Boutique prices and were not on the market long in spite of their quality. Now, when they come up they usually will run between $800-1500. Not bad but there was not and still is not a big demand for them. Why? Gretsch was not known for amps. When you think Gretsch, you think of guitars (or drums). The old Valco-produced amps from the '50s-'60s don't create a lot of nostalgia except with hard-core Gretsch fanatics. Guild would probably have a similar or worse response. When you think of Guild, you don't think of amps. Acoustic amps might be another story.

Unless there is something really unique about a Guild amp that would make it stand out when considered with the traditional brands, I think the idea is doomed to failure. A really outstanding solid state amp that was extremely light a la Quilter or the short-lived Fender solid state Bandmaster of a few years ago might be successful. But the traditional tube amp market is so saturated with Fender, Marshall, Vox etc, I just don't see Guild making much of a dent.