So what do you think Guild will bring out next (archtop/electric)?

dbirchett

Reaction score
Now we see the Newark Street Starfire XII announced, what do you anticipate seeing next?

A deep body X-50?

Something with DeArmonds?

An X-350 with the push buttons?

Some thinline acoustic-electrics?

Thin line hollow body electrics along the lines of the Duane Eddy models or even the mid-depth X-170?

A new Palladin X-500?

Pilot or Thunderbird basses?

US made archtops? X-500, X-700

I doubt that we are going to see any of the pointy models unless GAD convinces them to do a signature model.

What, other than just new colors do you expect to see announced over the next several months?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I doubt we’ll be seeing any US made electrics under Cordoba’s leadership. They don’t have the facilities. Same for arch tops.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
A GAD signature model, eh? I like it!

I'd make it a Starfire VI with a Floyd Rose and I'd record Spoonman on it first thing just to irritate Chris. :wink-new:

Actually... I don't think I could do that.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I doubt we’ll be seeing any US made electrics under Cordoba’s leadership. They don’t have the facilities. Same for arch tops.
In a press release from Jan 6, 2016 about starting production in Oxnard they said:

"SANTA MONICA, CA – After months of anticipation, Guild Guitars is thrilled to announce that they have opened the doors to their brand new, state-of-the-art facility in California, and resumed building guitars in the USA....
The first models are Guild’s iconic M-20 and D-20, followed by the D-55, F-55, and F-512, Guild’s flagship acoustics. Guild will also bring back some classic electric models.
"

To me that didn't sound like refering to Newark St. electrics. So let's wait what "classic electric models" they thought of.

Ralf

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You know I love Guild, but how about something totally new? How many times can they reissue the same models?

walrus

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In a press release from Jan 6, 2016 about starting production in Oxnard they said:

"SANTA MONICA, CA – After months of anticipation, Guild Guitars is thrilled to announce that they have opened the doors to their brand new, state-of-the-art facility in California, and resumed building guitars in the USA....
The first models are Guild’s iconic M-20 and D-20, followed by the D-55, F-55, and F-512, Guild’s flagship acoustics. Guild will also bring back some classic electric models.
"

To me that didn't sound like refering to Newark St. electrics. So let's wait what "classic electric models" they thought of.

Ralf
Yes, but the classic electric models that they’ve released since that press release have all been imports. I think they’re happy just to continue letting the overseas factory handle the electrics.

We shall see.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes, but the classic electric models that they’ve released since that press release have all been imports. I think they’re happy just to continue letting the overseas factory handle the electrics.

We shall see.

I think Ralf was sucked in by classic American marketing techniques in the creative use of English.
By tying that statement to a predicate about what models are planned for US production, the impression is given that classic electrics are being planned for build there, too.
So I suspect the statement is technically correct (according to your interpretation and reasons, which I agree with) but probably misleading.
(Which is why I suspect disingenuous marketing jargon which is notorious for that kind of thing)
But it IS possible they do have some long-range plans for domestic electric production as he says, and I have to agree there's nothing wrong with giving it some more time to see what they do..

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

"

Ralf

That was 2 1/2 years ago, Ralf. I am not holding my breath.

Prince of Darkness

Reaction score
Guild Total
I would love to see the S300 come back. Great guitars, and I think time has been kind to the styling. Maybe they would find that the Ugly Duckling is now a Swan :triumphant:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
But, because they aren’t as desired, there are plenty of vintage S-300s out there.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think they'll do reissues of the pointy stuff: X-79, X-88, etc.

I don't think there's a market for those quite yet, do you? I don't see a resurgence of '80s guitars like that, but the older styles are "retro", "quirky", and cool. I'd venture it's only a matter of time (I'm seeing some '80s fashion pop up) and maybe Guild will lead the way.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What market segment are they not filling , as of now ? What ever they pick, it will need to SELL ! So, it better be model that will move. They have a Les Paul style guitar. They have an SG style. They have a better than average semi hollow and full hollow body line up. While they have the quirky solid body thing in play, they don't have a Strat style guitar with 3 single coils. I could be there is TOO much competition in that segment, or they don't have pickups in the supply chain to make that style, I suppose.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
While they have the quirky solid body thing in play, they don't have a Strat style guitar with 3 single coils. I could be there is TOO much competition in that segment, or they don't have pickups in the supply chain to make that style, I suppose.
That’s where they would really have a tough time. The vintage super-Strat styles — ***ator — are selling for bargain prices, less than they could retail new imports for. So, in addition to all the other makers, they’d be fighting their past.

The ones they’ve reissued so far, have been the models that are in demand in the vintage market. So, what other vintage solidbodies that have risen in value are left?

Sal

Reaction score
Perhaps Guild could partner with a U.S. boutique amp builder to produce an updated retro Guild model. Small tube amps are popular. How about an update of the Guild 66-J Tweed.

luGNRH4.jpg
[/IMG]

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Perhaps Guild could partner with a U.S. boutique amp builder to produce an updated retro Guild model. Small tube amps are popular. How about an update of the Guild 66-J Tweed.

See here where a discussion on this point has already started. I'll refrain from repeating myself.