A couple auction site ?’s

TBK711

Reaction score
A couple auction site ?’s

Hey guys,

Just returned home from the west coast - I hit a couple music shops you recommended. No Guilds as you predicted, but played a couple nice guitars and had some good conversations.

Just checking out some stuff on eBay. There is a 2008 D55 and a 1984 D70. For the sake of my education, I have a couple questions.

2008 Tacoma - that was last year of Tacoma correct? Do I remember some saying that you want to be careful with the last year of Tacoma because they sold off inventory that may not have been QA’d to exacting standards as they were closing the plant? Or maybe that was a different plant or didn’t even happen and those are just rumors/gossip?

D70 - I’m not yet familiar with this model. The description seems to suggest it is a bling’d up D-55 (which is hard to believe as d-55’s seem about as nice as a guitar can be to my intermediate playing eyes). It seems to suggest it is rare too? Right now the price is low relative to D55s, but I assume that will jump at the end. I’m not planning to buy - just want to learn more about this new to me model.

Thanks in advance for my ongoing Guild-ucation.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
IIRC, the issues with closure-era Tacoma Guilds were pretty much restricted to the "Contemporary" series guitars using the carbon fiber "spider" neck support (CO and CV models?). I haven't heard of any issues with the more traditional models such as the D-40 or D-55. Several members have Tacoma-era D-55s and speak highly of them.

The D-70 was one of the first "Limited edition" Guilds made in the early 80s. The D-70 sported higher end cosmetic appointments such as abalone rosette (the D-55 didn't get an abalone rosette until ~'93), MOP cloud fret markers, a a different bridge shape. The D-70 also had scalloped bracing, which wasn't introduced on the D-55 until the early 90s (~'92). The eBay ad for the D-70 mentions design by George Gruhn and Kim Walker, but I think the D-70 actually preceded Gruhn's affiliation with Guild. Again, several LTGers own D-70s, and speak VERY highly of their tone. A good D-70 typically sells somewhat north of $2K. I would expect the eBay one to sell in that range, even with the finish checking.

(at another time, I might go after the D-70 myself... but the timing is bad for me right now)

Added: the D-70 was one bling step below the D-80, which later morphed into the D-100 of the early 90s. Some would consider the D-80/D-100 as Guild's "answer" to the Martin D-45.

Last edited:

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Others will no doubt help with your questions, TBK711, but I have always loved the cloud inlays on the D-70 but never understood why Guild would cover up the rosette inlay with the pick guard.

edit: Thanks Dave. Simultaneous posting :fat:

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
IIRC, the issues with closure-era Tacoma Guilds were pretty much restricted to the "Contemporary" series guitars using the carbon fiber "spider" neck support (CO and CV models?). I haven't heard of any issues with the more traditional models such as the D-40 or D-55. Several members have Tacoma-era D-55s and speak highly of them.

To add to that it seems that the market tends to discount all Tacoma Guilds even though the "problems" were generally restricted to the Contemporary series. The fact that some Tacoma models were "remaindered" for no reason other than stock reduction has also contributed to the reputation.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
To add to that it seems that the market tends to discount all Tacoma Guilds ...<snip>

And that's a great thing if you are in the market as a buyer - my two Tacoma examples are really fine guitars. I just restrung the F-47R with Curt Mangan "half-size" 11.5-53 Phosphor Bronze and am head-over-heels in love with this guitar again, after it spent way too much time in its case.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
2008 Tacoma - that was last year of Tacoma correct?
Yes
Do I remember some saying that you want to be careful with the last year of Tacoma because they sold off inventory that may not have been QA’d to exacting standards as they were closing the plant?
I recall seeing that observation too, but only a couple of times, and I can only specifically recall actual reports of real problems relating to the "Contemporary" series, model numbers that began with "CO" and "CV".
I'd like to think that anything with real problems probably wound up going through MIRC, Fender's preferred liquidation outlet.
My guess is that there was no real reason to "shortcut" since they probably would have preferred to continue to sell as many as they could without tainting the reputation before they finally had to liquidate, although some people believe that Fender was less than eager to maintain Guild's reputation at the time.
Similar stories have circulated about Corona and even Westerly but I for sure would say there's insufficient evidence to back 'em up as far as reports I've seen here.
So I suspect the late Tacoma quality thing is as largely mythical as the others.
Ah, I see others have said pretty much what I just recapped so consider it one more corroboration.

beecee

Reaction score
The Maple bindings on the D 70 are pretty special as well.

Just admiring those on mine last night. I think I spend more time looking at it vs playing it.

Stunning visually and sonically.

As far as bling, I have it side by side when out w/my F-512. I think it looks rather subdued against the 512 inlays.

EDIT: Sold for well under $2k. I'm not super fussy but the finish checking kinda throws me off on a high....end but the rest of it looked nice.

Last edited: