Guild advert

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Digging through a forgotten pile of reference material, I found some old Guild advertisements. As I can get them scanned, I'll post them. Here's one from Fretts, Volume 4, 1962.

Fretts,%20Vol%204%201962.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Great stuff.
I note the "Blonde" option is more expensive than the Sunburst, back then.
Makes me wonder if that's due to the belief that Sunbursts were often used to hide cosmetic flaws in tops, and it was a more common belief, maybe even actually true at the time, at the time?
Or maybe they just had to be sure to select a better grade for blonde tops?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have some amps from that vintage and they used at least 3 different kinds of tolex on the top. Probably whatever they could buy from the surplus shops!

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Digging through a forgotten pile of reference material, I found some old Guild advertisements. As I can get them scanned, I'll post them. Here's one from Fretts, Volume 4, 1962.

Fretts,%20Vol%204%201962.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing one of those 99U amp heads. Is that their version of a Bassman head?

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
An fun bit of trivia about the Duane Eddy ad... since the guitar was a prototype, it didn't have a strap button on the upper bout. The guitar strap is wedged into the fretboard extension. You can see a bit of the leather sticking out above the 20th fret on the bass side. I believe that I read that in Hans' book. I own both the RCA albums "Twisting and Twanging" and "Dance with the Guitar Man" that feature this guitar. The pickups are the early version DeArmonds, with the beveled edge and without the second line of adjustment screws. I bought the albums at a yard sale. The records themselves are unplayable, but the album covers are cool! :satellite: