NGD 2014 GSR X500D w/Upgrades

F312

Reaction score
Hey Hey, My My.
Guild has astonished me with the maple they use on their guitars. When I look at my F47M for a few seconds it's like in 3D, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about Tx.

Ralph

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Hey, My My.
Guild has astonished me with the maple they use on their guitars. When I look at my F47M for a few seconds it's like in 3D, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about Tx.

Ralph

For sure on the Quality of Maple Ralph! I started seeing consistently and beautifully figured pieces of Maple on Guilds in the Mid to Late 90's. Their wood selection just got better with time culminating in the Stuff they Used at New Hartford which is sometimes just mind blowing to look at as well as having great tone. We haven't seen any Maple yet out of Oxnard but I am really Hoping that they follow suit with their Maple wood selection as well. It would be great to see the quality continue to be both Beautiful and sonically pleasing. I could get lost for hours just looking at the back of this one but that means I would have to stop playing it long enough to put it down and that ain't happening right now!

TX

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is just the light playing tricks in the photos Chazmo, It is full hollow but the flash is really lighting up the inside of the back maple which is giving it a less than Full hollow appearance. The flash is also eliminating any shadows that the F-Hole openings may be casting on the inside back as well. The F-Holes are open to the soundbox like every other Full Hollow X500 made.

TX

Full hollow it is, TX. That's what I expected, but the light really is playing tricks in those pix.

And, I think you said this earlier, but what makes you think the back and sides are laminated? I guess you can probably tell the grain pattern looking through the F-holes (?).

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the spec for X500's, or any Guild archtop with built-in pickups is laminated top, except for the X700, or perhaps the odd custom order guitar..(?)

Nothing wrong with laminated archtops as far as I'm concerned.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, the top would probably be a laminate... I was wondering about the back and sides. (TX thought they were in the first post, but I would guess solid)

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bound f-holes make my heart beat fast....... You know I have a heart condition, right? Maybe not so many photos all at once!! Just kidding..... that's just effing BEAUTIFUL. BIG old thing isn't it? Congrats, amigo!! :encouragement::encouragement:

ClaytonS15

Reaction score
Guild Total
That’s absolutely beautiful and I’m sure it sounds fantastic with those pickups. Congratulations!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the kind words! I just can't seem to put this one down as it plays so effortlessly and sounds so Awesome. When I do manage to put it down for a minute I can't get much done anyway as I find that I wind up staring at the wood and just marvel at the craftsmanship.

With that pickup swap, it seems like I should be putting this guitar on my "want list"!

I would love to have a X550 Paladin but I can never find one for sale and doubt I ever will. This was the only other X500 run that had the extended 25.625" scale length like the Paladin besides an Original NY made model. The rest of them throughout the years were all 24.75" scale length unless they were custom ordered from Nashville or made as a "Special" designation back in the Westerly and Hoboken days. With this pickup setup I think I am just as pleased with this one, maybe more so than I would be with a Paladin but both are still top of my list. Plus all the mods I had done on this one are reversible if need be but I think the value is actually increased with the C.S. Phat Staple pickups and factory original Guildsby seeing as how the original pickups were Korean made and the original tailpiece was a Stamped unhinged plain Harp piece. I plan on playing this one until the strings fall off of it and then playing it some more!

TX