NGD 2014 GSR X500D w/Upgrades

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well I have actually had this guitar for a few months now but wanted to get it just how I wanted it before the big reveal. Between being Super Busy with the pups and life along with my Luthier having a bit of a waiting list I finally got it back today!

This is a 2014 Made in New Hartford Guild GSR X500D. As you can see from the pics it has a lovely Laminated Spruce top and some of the most beautiful Laminated Flamed Maple back and sides I have ever laid eyes on. I have been dreaming for a few years now about building a X500 to my liking and finally got the opportunity t do so with this one. The original Gold Korean Made HB1's have been replaced with a set of Black and Gold Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Phat Staples pickups (my favorite pickups on the market today). Also I happened to have a few Gold New Hartford and Westerly era Guildsby's on the parts shelf that I acquired over the years so this New Hartford Guild of course got one of the New Hartford models. The action is low and fast while the Guildsby operates perfectly with the slightest touch while returning to proper tuning even when dive bombed.

The Phat Staple pickups give off a tone that I can only describe as the perfect mix of an Original Franz style P90 with an Original Dearmond Dynasonic. The neck position is Deep, Fat, Thick, and Clear which makes for a Great Blues or Jazz tone clean. It also gets nice a syrupy when you add a little overdrive to it which my Fulltone OCD does nicely. The Bridge pickup delivers that wonderful Twang that we all know and love. I can get everything from Duane Eddy to Dwight Yoakam out of it clean but when you throw the drive to it it is full on Rock your face off! The middle position is a nice mix of the two while still retaining that clear tone and a great position for finger picking clean. I have these same pickups in a Starfire V and while they sound great in a Semi Hollow body they really shine in the Full Hollow construction of the X500D.

Like I mentioned earlier this has been something I have wanted to do for a long time building a X500 up like this one and I have to say I couldn't be happier! It is a Jazz Fiend, Blues King, Country Queen, Rockabilly Dream, and a Rock and Roll Machine all rolled into one.

Enough with all the talk and on to the photos! Any smudges are due to the puppy noses that wee checking it out between photos, LOL! What can I say, they are Guild Dogs.

l1Tmb7.jpg

NojkfB.jpg

3q5Mnb.jpg

yiEvPS.jpg

tuMGj2.jpg

fKefLT.jpg

m8KkO4.jpg

96BOdC.jpg

TX

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Now THAT is spectacular -drop dead gorgeous Guild with some seriously flamey flame!
Curves on that thing will make you swoon - dayam!
Congrats TX!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone! I am really digging it. I will probably get up in the night a few times just to check in on it and make sure none of the other Guilds in the guitar room are trying to put the moves on her, LOL, and of course to pinch myself and make sure it is real.

TX

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, that is a real prize there, TX! Ginormous congrats!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Congratulations TX. That baby is a beauty! The polished gold Guildsby makes for some serious eye candy!

And great photos as usual.

Zelja

Reaction score
That's gorgeous. Congratulations. I've said it before but those pickups are really intriguing.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, TX,

What's the story with the F-holes on this beauty? Are they just for show? I'm a little confused about what I'm seeing here, as it looks like there's wood right under the soundboard? I was expecting the F-holes to be open into the soundbox.

This is a hollow-body guitar, right? Forgive the ignorance.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Beyond over the top geeeeorgeeeous.

Tell me a little about the bridge/saddles, tho.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey, TX,

What's the story with the F-holes on this beauty? Are they just for show? I'm a little confused about what I'm seeing here, as it looks like there's wood right under the soundboard? I was expecting the F-holes to be open into the soundbox.

This is a hollow-body guitar, right? Forgive the ignorance.

That is just the light playing tricks in the photos Chazmo, It is full hollow but the flash is really lighting up the inside of the back maple which is giving it a less than Full hollow appearance. The flash is also eliminating any shadows that the F-Hole openings may be casting on the inside back as well. The F-Holes are open to the soundbox like every other Full Hollow X500 made.

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Beyond over the top geeeeorgeeeous.

Tell me a little about the bridge/saddles, tho.

Thanks CosmicArkie! They are the Bridge and saddles that came factory on the GSR Guild Hollowbody Guitars from New Hartford. It was listed in the specs as a Guild Adjust-o-matic Bridge but the saddles are made of what seems like a graph-tech material. It responds really well with the Guildsby. Other GSR Hollow body owners may have some more info on them, if they do hopefully they will share some more info on them.

TX

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They are the Bridge and saddles that came factory on the GSR Guild Hollowbody Guitars from New Hartford. It was listed in the specs as a Guild Adjust-o-matic Bridge but the saddles are made of what seems like a graph-tech material. It responds really well with the Guildsby. Other GSR Hollow body owners may have some more info on them, if they do hopefully they will share some more info on them.

It's a GraphTech ResoMax bridge. It was used on the GSR T-500, too.

http://graphtech.com/products/brands/resomax/resomax-tune-o-matic-bridges