Ngd ce-100d

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know if you can do that without the cutouts for the minibuckers showing. They are wider than the Franzes. Matsickma noted that the DeArmonds are extremely close to the minibucker size. I have a set of reissue Franz and DeArmonds, so I will be able to tell when she shows up.
Thanks! I've only gotten as far as dreaming about how cool both would sound without breaking out the calipers for a reality check.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
ty all and esp. walter.
hmm, how come this lurked under my radar. maybe I should look for a 50's or 70's ce-100d now. :pirate:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Why 50's or 70's and not 60's?

A friend of mine had a 70's one briefly, and I thought it was a little on the heavy, klunky overbuilt side.

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
that's simple walter,
either with franz or with hb-1 pickups.
the t-400 covers all lb-1 ground for me.

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Since when do we bow to the tyranny of reality?
So true. Maybe I can mod the reality away with horribly homemade surrounds.

Why 50's or 70's and not 60's?

A friend of mine had a 70's one briefly, and I thought it was a little on the heavy, klunky overbuilt side.
I've tried a 70s example, and I thought the same thing.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have capnjuan's SFlll and the top is noticably thicker than a Hoboken. Maybe a change due to higher powered amps, maybe?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have capnjuan's SFlll and the top is noticably thicker than a Hoboken. Maybe a change due to higher powered amps, maybe?
I'm remembering hypothesis that builds may have gotten heavier in general as demand exploded and production ramped up, to help ensure a lower warranty claim rate.
In fact I think the Cap'n may have suggested that himself once, the "Train Wreck Neck" thread, explaining his belief that Guild probably calculated a cost for honoring warranty claims, to be factored into the selling price of the product?
Not that I think the possibilities are mutually exclusive, in fact, I normally doubt any production change decision is based on just a single factor, it usually takes at least a couple of good reasons.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't remember offhand if the plys were thicker or if there were more of them. I will have to look, but I know the Westerlys are heavier.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Maybe that, maybe the fact that most of the Westerly guys were originally furniture builders, maybe the warranty claim thing, and it's a general 70's thing : Gibsons, Gretsches, Fenders, and even Martins all got "sturdier" and heavier in the 70's. In any case, I haven't really played any 70's Guild archtops that made me go "I MUST BUY THIS...!!!", even apart from my humbucker aversion.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
At the one LMG that Krysh made it to, he played that particular SFlll for about 20 seconds and put it right down, so I am not sure if it was the guitar or the Fender designed humbuckers.

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
I think it was the fenderbuckers, but honestly I can't remember. the interesting thing is, that when I listen to rehearsal room recordings I did with my now gone X-175T they sounded pretty good.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
fSRCFbJ.jpg

Over all impression, not bad. Finish missing on the back, some odd scratches on the heel. The neck repair looks like there was a crack on one side of the neck, but not on the other. Bridge is all the way down, top binding is shrinking a little at the cutaway, but hardly noticable. It has acoustic (!) strings on it. I have some 11s with a wound g that I will replace the bronzes with after I eat and clean up. Will post some more pics later.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
At the one LMG that Krysh made it to, he played that particular SFlll for about 20 seconds and put it right down, so I am not sure if it was the guitar or the Fender designed humbuckers.

*snicker*

He played my B4CE for about 30 seconds and gently expressed the opinion that it needed a neck reset. When I finally did something about it, a new nut sufficed but there is a reason that is now my sister's bass. This is the classic example of better players demanding more from an instrument. I didn't spend enough time past the fifth fret to notice the intonation issues which really were obvious.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Over all impression, not bad. Finish missing on the back, some odd scratches on the heel. The neck repair looks like there was a crack on one side of the neck, but not on the other. Bridge is all the way down, top binding is shrinking a little at the cutaway, but hardly noticable. It has acoustic (!) strings on it. I have some 11s with a wound g that I will replace the bronzes with after I eat and clean up. Will post some more pics later.
It sure looks good. How much missing finish? A headstock break that doesn't go all the way through is good if it was was repaired well. The bridge all the way down isn't a problem unless you're gonna Guildsby it.

I hope you're happy with it. I love the feel of the mid-60s Guild necks. They just have certain profile that feels perfect to me.