Project Miracle: B-302 Custom

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I came here seeking the guidance and wisdom of the Guild forum in helping me in perform a miracle.

In my adolescent stupor, I recently decided to buy this B-302 loaded scratch plate (https://reverb.com/item/12981240-guild-usa-scratchplate-fully-loaded-guild-bass-b302-1978-black) off of Reverb because I fell in love with the tone and needed a B-302 asap. However, with no woodworking or electrical experience/skills whatsoever, the feeling of "well what now" has been looming over me ever since I hit purchase. So, instead of twiddling my thumbs, I've decided to at least try and do something about it.

I have decided to build my own custom B-302, and with the forum's limitless wisdom, I believe it's possible. I have access to a workshop with most of the necessary tools and all the time in the world. The only thing I need is the experience and guidance of the people on this forum, so if you have any advice, bits of wisdom, or anything that will help in this herculean task, it will be very appreciated. Also, if you have any questions, please let me know. Comments are also appreciated.

For anyone wondering, my crudely constructed plan for this build is to:
1. Create the body with the same dimensions as a B-302 using a similar if not the same wood. (If anyone knows the dimensions, or better yet has a template, please email me because I can't find anything on it.)
2. Put on a bolt on neck. This might annoy some of you, but in my perspective using a bolt on neck will be easier than making a set neck since I have no experience. The only problem with using a bolt on neck is finding the "sweet spot" where the tone will sound the same as on a regular set neck.

As mentioned above, any advice/comment is appreciated, and questions will be answered to the best of my ability.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

A similar instruction of what you are asking - not a guitar, but tape recorder.

You can substitute "Studer-ReVox" with "Guild" - "Swiss and German" with "American" - "solid aluminum" with "solid wood" - and so on . . .

The principle is same - if you don´t do it right - it will not be right.

So - whatever comes off your project - let us know.

Have fun.

img_3138.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. No ideas for you. I have no interest in that kind of project so if I had that scratch plate I'd see if there was a local builder who could build a bass to hold it and not worry too much about preserving the lineage. Of course that might cost more than buying a B-302 outright and mixing, matching and refinishing.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Wow. That is so ambitious.

But it does open up many doors ... IF...you drop the need to recreate that bass exactly.

Frono took inspiration from his own and our collective wisdom to design a custom build bass that looks righteous.

If you are heart set on an exact duplicate, why not wait for a "husk" to appear online. Perhaps from the seller of your portion.

I'm a big fan of customisation projects, but i wonder if yours is A BRIDGE TOO FAR?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of customisation projects, but i wonder if yours is A BRIDGE TOO FAR?

Ha yeah I know this project is a bit far-fetched, but I've accepted that and I'm willing to try.

The only part of the bass that I'm planning on recreating is the body, because I want the pickups to be in the same "sweet spot".

However, if it becomes to difficult, I'll just have to go back to square one and design my own righteous bass.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
The only part of the bass that I'm planning on recreating is the body, because I want the pickups to be in the same "sweet spot".

If by "sweet spot" you really mean that the scale length and the distance from the nut to each of the PUs is the same then all you really need are the measurements. Then you just have to hope that the body is not the major contributor to the sound you are striving for.

Reaction score
If by "sweet spot" you really mean that the scale length and the distance from the nut to each of the PUs is the same then all you really need are the measurements.

You hit the nail right on the head, frono. :encouragement:

The most important part of this build where I need the forum's wisdom is the measurements, more specifically where the PU's are placed in relation to the scale length. With this, I would have no real need to recreate the body, so if anyone is has these measurements or is willing to break out the tape measure, it will be greatly appreciated.

And speaking of the body, could the type of wood effect the sound/tone, even if the guitar is electric?

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Most of the B-30x owners seem to drop by, realize most of the conversation is about Starfires and move on. But there are some and maybe they will make measurements for you.

Perhaps by posting a pic of Kurt's B-301A I might inspire him to offer to take measurements next time he visits The Vault.

1981bB-302A.jpg

There has been some debate in one of the guitar sections about what influences tone in a solid body instrument. I'll let you look, though.

I used to think the body in a solid bodied guitar or bass had no effect on the tone. It's an electrical signal, right? Wood isn't a conductor. It took me a while but I no longer believe that.

Sustain is one factor. Not all harmonics decay at the same rate so the sound can vary over time. The density of the wood definitely has an effect on sustain and there are other factors. So the wood effects which harmonics are present.

I also noticed with my Novak BSDS that I can tap the wood at various places and hear the tapping "through" the pickup. I may be delusional but I believe that some pickups are picking up and amplifying more than just the string vibration. Another opportunity for the wood to make a difference.

All that said, I don't think I have ever seen anyone try to compare the solid body sound between two instruments that were close to identical and differed primarily in the solid body wood. I suspect it is not a big difference or not noticeable by the average bassist. Indeed when I hear conversations about wood in solid bodies, it is usually about weight and appearance and not the effect on tone.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help!

I've noticed that most of the threads that are about bass are specifically on the Starfire, so hopefully one b-30x owner will see this thread and offer their help. While I'm waiting, maybe I can pester some known owners for the info.

As for the body, I'm not too worried about getting the sustain and harmonics perfect, as this is my first build. But with now knowing that the particular wood used does have that kind of effect, I'll definitely make plans in the future to make a more accurate body rather than using a generic shape.

This "miracle" project now looks to be more and more do-able thanks to your help, so once again thank you!

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited:

edwin

Reaction score
I'm with Ralf. The kind of wood, the cut, and also any glue joints (since this would be a set neck bass), all make a huge difference in tone and response. Knowing that, though, allows you to maybe make an improvement in certain areas, if you are looking for that. The Alembic forum is a great resource for discussions about wood and tone, especially with respect to neck woods (for instance, they use ebony stringers to increase the presence of the fundamental, etc.).

This sounds like a great project. Absolutely doable if you go slow, measure 8 times, and get the help of experts when you need it. There might even be a local luthier who would be willing to supervise and also help with critical areas, such as fret slotting. Certainly, I can think of a few people here in Colorado who would help with such a task (although that old adage probably applies: It will cost you $x to get it done, $2x to get it done while you watch, and $3x to have me fix your screw-ups.

katthestar

Reaction score
I have a B-302A on consignment at my luthier’s shop. I’ll ask him if I can measure it when I go there this weekend. I would recommend making yours lighter. I’m selling mine because it weighs 10 lbs, and I find the body uncomfortable when I’m sitting and playing. Though I adore those soap bar pickups.