Help dating a DV52 (serial number beyond Guild's last recorded in 1999)

Reaction score
Hi all,

New user here. I have just received my first Guild guitar (after many years of lusting after a Westerly made Guild). It's a rather lovely DV52 with serial AD523710. When trying to date it I was a bit concerned to see the last serial number for the DV52 as AD522272 on Guilds website. Having done a bit of reading, mainly here, I've seen that serial number records are patchy. I am fairly sure it is genuine, it's a hell of a guitar, I was just wondering if there was anyone here who could help me put a date on it (hansmoust maybe?!) :nevreness: ?

Cheers
John

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like you and I got some of the last ones out of Westerly. Mine (now my son's) is 522419.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome jbc. Cannot help you with dateling your DV52 but will eco your assessment-great acoustic. I have one of the earlier ones.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I've owned three DV52s over the years, still have two of them. Two are high-gloss (one early, one late), and one (which I sold to a friend) was satin finish (early).

What impresses me is how different they sound from each other. The late HG and early satin sound the most similar, but the early HG could be a different model altogether, just going by the sound.

Very fond of this whole series though -- I also have a DV72 and JV72.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey John, there's your answer!! When Hans speaks we all listen. He wrote the book on Guilds (literally: The Guild Guitar Book) and he's a huge and invaluable resource here. So that's your answer. We're all still waiting for TGGB Vol. 2....... I can't WAIT!!!

And welcome to the forum. DV's are some of the best Guilds built!! :encouragement:

Reaction score
Thank you Hans, much appreciated!

I'm pretty thrilled with it to be honest, it's every bit as good as a Martin HD38 I used to own but with more character (and much better value). Now if I can just find the right F50R....:02.47-tranquillity:

John

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm pretty thrilled with it to be honest....

Major congrats! That's why we're here. We're all thrilled with our Guilds! (Hey, there's a motto for you!)

....it's every bit as good as a Martin HD38 I used to own but with more character (and much better value).

I don't have a lot of experience playing a variety of upper echelon guitars, but I can't imagine my Guilds not giving them a serious run for their money.

Now if I can just find the right F50R....

Now you're talking! I got mine from a tip on this board, so stick around! Guild 12-strings are the benchmark for 12ers, but the F50R is one of the best 6-strings out there. Good luck in your search and welcome to the boards!