Guild MK6

Reaction score
I am new here but am a long time Guild enthusiast. I Recently picked up a Guild MkVI classical. The serial # dates it to 1970 and is Brazilian Rosewood. I could find very little information as to the approximate value and demand for this model. Can anyone here enlighten me. It is in excellent condition with only two lacquer cracks on the back.Neck angle and action are perfect. Thanks in advance and thanks for allowing me to join your group.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

Be patient because there will be better answers than mine. 1970 is a bit late for a "mainstream" Guild with Brazilian back and sides, IIRC but a Mark VI is not mainstream so I expect to learn something, even if it is only that I should have consulted The Guild Guitar Book before posting. I'd say there is not a lot of steady demand for the Mark series. Reasonably priced ones do sell but my anecdotal sense is three or four a month rather than three or four a week. That said, I would expect a well priced VI to move faster than one of the "lesser" Marks. Anecdotal intuition says $1500-$2000 with case but again, consider the source :)

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome Lucky One! We saw that CL listing and were wondering who the lucky one who was able to get to it first.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Lucky One!
Hmmmm.....Harrisburg PA, eh?
Would that happen to have been this little sighting that caused bit of a stir here?:
(click on the link to see the thread):
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...tery-300-Guild-Classical-on-the-Harrisburg-CL
I don't have a clue about actual value (And that's tough without the guitar actually in hand anyway, but probably at least a couple of the folks who posted there will have a better info.
Note that Hans Moust is the author of the Guild Guitar Book and his comment to "Simply buy it! Don't waste a minute!" in post #2 of that thread speaks volumes and isn't the type of advice he tosses out casually.
"Read between those lines"!
:friendly_wink:
(ahhh...I see a couple of folks squeezed in there while I was still composing, LOL!)

Reaction score
Thanks! everyone! I appreciate the information. I am now anxious to get home and give it a real close look. I looked at it briefly when I bought it and shot a picture of the label and put it with all my other guitars. Sounds like I found a good one !

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome Lucky One on being "quick on the trigger." I hesitated and glad to get an update and identify the winner. This is a great forum full of good folks.

Reaction score
Welcome.
Thank you so much !
Be patient because there will be better answers than mine. 1970 is a bit late for a "mainstream" Guild with Brazilian back and sides, IIRC but a Mark VI is not mainstream so I expect to learn something, even if it is only that I should have consulted The Guild Guitar Book before posting. I'd say there is not a lot of steady demand for the Mark series. Reasonably priced ones do sell but my anecdotal sense is three or four a month rather than three or four a week. That said, I would expect a well priced VI to move faster than one of the "lesser" Marks. Anecdotal intuition says $1500-$2000 with case but again, consider the source :)

Thanks for the valuable information !!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG! The Mark series classical guitars had 7 models from Mark I to Mark VII. So Mark VI was the high end. According to Hans Moust the Mark VI was introduced in 1962. I believe they had various different specs over time (bracing, scale lenght, wood), Hans can give you more info about the exact built date of your guitar, you can contact him via his webpage: http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/contact.php

Here's a Mark VI advertisement from 1963:

guild_mark_VI.jpg

Source: http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/adDetails/410

Ralf

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG! The Mark series classical guitars had 7 models from Mark I to Mark VII. So Mark VI was the high end. According to Hans Moust the Mark VI was introduced in 1962. I believe they had various different specs over time (bracing, scale lenght, wood), Hans can give you more info about the exact built date of your guitar, you can contact him via his webpage: http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/contact.php

Here's a Mark VI advertisement from 1963:

guild_mark_VI.jpg

Source: http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/adDetails/410

Ralf

Thanks so much, Ralf ! I appreciate it !

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hope it is in as good a condition as it looked on CL !

I'll give ya' an extra 100 bucks ,over the price you paid, to sell it to me ! :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Ralf ! I appreciate it !
Second that!
Makes me suspect it really was used on this, recorded in 1964, and about which I've occasionally wondered:
220px-Solo_Flight_%28Chalie_Byrd_album%29.jpg

Prior to seeing that ad I had the impression he didn't have one until '65.

Last edited: