Taylor vrs Martin

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Have you seen this ?
I find interesting as most of you know I’m not a Taylor guy and I’m not bashing but I have clearly stated that though I don’t like their tone they do preform great In recording .
Anyway to me they mixed both guitars along with the Martian having one mike different then the Taylor.

Is it a true comparison? I dont know !
You make your own decision ��

https://youtu.be/QIrV9t7XAZY

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
All I can say for certain is that they both are better players than me. I typically hate to speak generically but for my money I'll take the Martin sound over the Taylor sound nearly every time.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
while not a big martin or taylor fan, i have owned models of each brand. i like their dreads. i also like taylor's grand concert series. good volume and clarity for the size.

i would love an old Martin D28 and and old lemmon grove dreadnought from Taylor.

mike1100

Reaction score
I've been a fan of Paul Davids' videos for a few years. He also has a nice rosewood vs mahogany video.

In this video he's at a slight angle here to "blend" in both takes. The secondary "middle" mic is in a different place for each guitar (body side for the Martin and headstock side for the Taylor) so that may have affected the recording a bit. The video supports the generalities I have of the typical Martin vs Taylor sound. To my ears the Martin is bass heavy with slightly scooped mids. The Taylor has a dialed back bass and is mid heavy (some would say more balanced). In the right hands (and in Paul's) they both sound wonderful.

If given the choice between these two I would reach for the Martin, as I prefer having a bass heavy guitar. To use a car analogy, I find it easier to throttle back on a bass heavy guitar than to try and eek out more horse power (bass) from a guitar that just doesn't have it under the hood.

Now on to Guild........I haven't played many D50s, but in general I would put a D50 right between these two and leaning more towards the Martin side of the spectrum. A bit less bass than Martin, but more than Taylor. More balanced than the Martin, but not as "mid" heavy as the Taylor.

Honestly, I like them all. Fun stuff. It's great to have options for different sounds.

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

I can clearly see 4 mics - a blond mic for each guitar bout and black mike for neck - the camera angle makes it look like on left guitar it were at 14th and right guitar at 8th - and equally the bout mic on left would be further off - but methinks it´s just the camera angle.

Last edited:

mike1100

Reaction score
Nuuska - You're right. I re-watched the video on full screen. He is using the same mic setup for each guitar. Good catch.

I really want to learn more on how to record acoustic guitars. He has a couple of videos on that. Maybe one day when I have some cash needing to find a home.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nuuska - You're right. I re-watched the video on full screen. He is using the same mic setup for each guitar. Good catch.

I really want to learn more on how to record acoustic guitars. He has a couple of videos on that. Maybe one day when I have some cash needing to find a home.

A quick starter

Get one GOOD microphone - Shure SM will not qualify in this game - they have other functions.

I would take SDC ( Small Diaphragm Condenser ) and place it about 60-90cm ( 2-3 feet ) in front of the guitar. ANYTHING sounds better recorded when microphone is not too close!
The longer distance brings a possible problem - because there is no free lunch - the room must be good - wood houses generally are very nice - concrete apartment chambers not - so rugs, carpeting, floor and wall materials and amount of furniture all play a role. So - EXPERIMENT different locations.

What is a good SDC microphone ?

My first recommendation is MBHO - and to be honest - I recommend them first for two good reasons - they are a good bang for the buck + I am local rep here in Finland.
Other companies make good products also - but in any case be prepared to spend 200USD or more for one mic.

For price comparison - when I go to mix my main band - I use 8 microphones + two DI-boxes. The 8 MBHO mics are worth of about 3000€. Way back I used to have Neumann 86 for drum overhead and that really scared some folks - what if I hit it? - then you pay . . .

But like good ingredients in making food - good microphones and correct placement gives you something that no processing in the world can provide.

Now you have the mike - then get a decent preamp/soundcard - like a Lexicon or something - depending of how many tracks you wish to record at once.

Then there is the recorder - today most are recording on computers with sufficient results - and then there are hardcore vintage recorders who insist using reel-to-reel machines.

Did I mention - I used to work at Studer-ReVox tape recorder factory in Switzerland in early seventies ??? I also built first 24-track studio in Finland - I have oodles of Studer and ReVox machines - and I record mostly with my Behringer X32 digital mixer that has USB-connection to my computer . . .

Have fun

Last edited:

mike1100

Reaction score
Nuuska - Thank you! I appreciate the advice.

It's a small world. You mentioned Studer.......

A good friend of mine walked into a local thrift store three weeks ago and for two days a Studer A810 was just sitting there for $25 USD. I know nothing about reel-to-reel recorders, but found it pretty cool he just happened to come across one. He's in the process of re-selling it now.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A Studer A810 with VU-meters - functioning and clean will easily bring him 1500USD - maybe up to 3000 if it looks mint. I have 5 of them - without VU-meters because they were used with mixing console - small nicks here and there - so even if they work up to specs, the HiFi-enthusiasts are not interested (MUST have VU ) - so I sell them to small studios who use them to process their digital sound. They go for 800-1000€ with trolley.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm still not sure why people start these topics. Ray..... my friend.... you can like and dislike any or either guitar you want but why are you ALWAYS BLASTING it on a Guild forum?? Your opinion means NOTHING to me!!! I'll play and like or dislike ANY DAMN GUITAR I like and you keep stirring this $hit up for NO REASON!!... so Martin or Taylor or Guild or Breedlove or ........JUST SHUUSH!!! Why do you think I care????? :jaded::jaded::jaded:

Antney

Reaction score
I’m curious as to what strings might sound best on a Taylor or Martin? Suggestions?

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great...that’s good to know. Does anyone know if I can get the “Martin sound” on a Taylor if I use Martin strings?

Regardless of strings and guitars etc - you will always get "Antney sound"

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'll play and like or dislike ANY DAMN GUITAR I like and you keep stirring this $hit up for NO REASON!!
It was a slow news day?
Why do you think I care????? :jaded::jaded::jaded:
Why did you answer?
kelso-gif-7.gif

:tongue-new:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
For some reason, he seemed to play the last finger picking songs better on the Taylor. He had some rough bits on the Martin. Could be tension on height. I was actually surprised how well the Martin sounded in some of the early finger style stuff, since it's always feels like I should be strumming or playing bluegrass on a Martin. For what I play, I would take the Taylor. I like their larger body guitars best, as that gives them more bass.

He did a good job of doing a split screen to seem like two players. He didn't lip synch the voices that well, but all and all better on all aspects that I could do.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm still not sure why people start these topics. Ray..... my friend.... you can like and dislike any or either guitar you want but why are you ALWAYS BLASTING it on a Guild forum?? Your opinion means NOTHING to me!!! I'll play and like or dislike ANY DAMN GUITAR I like and you keep stirring this $hit up for NO REASON!!... so Martin or Taylor or Guild or Breedlove or ........JUST SHUUSH!!! Why do you think I care????? :jaded::jaded::jaded:

Dude I can go one one with you if want go that route but you can put your capital letters where the sun don’t shine along with your anger .

First off I’m not starting or stirring any **** and I’m not blasting anything here at all . Why does it bug you so much ? Because it doesn’t have Guild in it ? Is this how stuck up this forum is or just you ? ( insert breedlove praise here )

90% of my surfing the net and feeds amd forums is everything acoustic that’s my passion so when I find something interesting I share it .

I did not go looking for this it just popped up in one of my feeds .

Since my last rant I guess you can call it that Taylor’s was my personal opinion of the tone they offer to me ! And I admitted in that thread that sales was pushing Taylor’s over everything else and that I did not like for obvious reasons of better business.

That being said I’m sorry if I ticked anyone off it was not my intent not then and certainly not now and I do believe I tried to make amends in that thread as well.

The only reason I restarted my dislike above was because I figured someone would remember my last thread invoking the Taylor name so they would understand that here I’m not taking sides .
Hmmm .. that worked well .....

Where you drinking by chance with meds ? Having a bad day ? I’ve seen you blowup before and it doesn’t become you and neither does my defensive attitude toward you become me .

I’m not a working professional I’m a hard working grunt trying to stay above water . No fancy education no college .

I thought everyone already figured that out and I’m ok with being LTG picked on class clown .

I well understand that many have a difficult time with my constant typos , sentences missing words , punctuation and even my perspective so it seems .

I am who I am and all anyone here or world wide has to do is just ask nicely “ Ray what hell are you trying to say !? “ I promise I’ll explain best I can . But most don’t they just assume .

But I do have my limits and they are set very high.

I love peace and harmony before all else but if push comes to shove I’ll engage and I am unconcerned about the out come .

If I see something directly pointed at me in a thread that’s aiming at the harsh side I step back and try to see what it is that went wrong and try address it .

If I disagree with ones point of view it’s rare that I comment directly back unless it’s just a simple each to his or her own opinion thing followed by pleasurably laughing , back slapping and a beer .

If you like reread my post and but first try to remove your anger from my words .

Hugs and hugs to everyone else please forgive me .
If you all want me gone just say the word or band me and that will be that .