First post, Guild Background, Question

TBK711

Reaction score
Hello All! First post here. I found the site a couple weeks ago and decided it was time to join.

I am really new to Guild. I’ve had a couple Yamahas for 15-20 years and I played intermittently in spurts. Then, about two years ago I decided that I was going to commit myself to studying and practicing. It is amazing what disciplined focus can do! I have progressed dramatically in the last two years (but still much improvement needed).

So, at the start of 2018 I decided it was time to buy a really nice guitar. I went immediately to Taylor and Martins because that is what I heard of. Never knew anything about Guild. No dealers in Pittsburgh PA.

I wandered into a small shop to see guitars. They had a used D55 in very nice condition. I played and I loved it. Sounded better than any guitar I had ever played. Still, I knew nothing about them so I wasn’t prepared to buy. I went home, did research, went back the next weekend, and it was gone. Out of my life forever. I don’t know where/when it was made; just that it was beautiful, fit me, played comfortably, and sounded amazing.

I ended up buying a fancy Taylor that I love. But, I can’t get that D55 out of my head. I resolved to own one at some point and I have been doing what I can to learn more about them. However, I have none available to actually play in this area - I search for used every day, but with no dealers in the area, we don’t see them here on the used market as much as I would hope.

So, now to the question. I decided that if I found the right D55 not too far north of $1500 - in very good/excellent shape, I may take the plunge. That is a lot of money to me - so I am a little nervous about buying a guitar sight unseen (if I bought from Reverb or eBay) and having only played one guild ever for 20 minutes.

I have found one that is close to my range - to far to see in person - built in New Hartford, which I understand from here is a good thing. Given my situation - would I be a little crazy to do it? I don’t need it - just can’t get it off my mind. Any thing I should be considering/asking the seller/etc? Any advice on buying a D55 - as a first time Guild buyer? Anything to avoid.

Thanks all. I appreciate any advice you can share.

TK

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

The Guild website lists N Stuff Music as a dealer but their website doesn't show any Guilds. https://www.nstuffmusic.com/ But if they are they might have an Oxnard made D55 on order or might be willing to order one and give you the first chance at it. I didn't check that against your budget, however ;-)

I don't think anyone here will try and talk you out of a D55 and there will be much advice about buying. Some of it will even be helpful :)

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The D 55 is a fine model and I hope you buy one.

As far as buying sight unseen, about 95% of what I buy comes from Reverb and Ebay. I won't say I've never been disappointed because that wouldn't be true. But, of the bunches of guitars I've bought online, I can count on one hand the number I've been disappointed with. Most sellers, in my experience anyway, are honest and try to point out whatever issues there may be. They want to sell as much as you want to buy and they don't want it returned so they have a vested interest to "do it right"

Both Reverb and Ebay will back you on a return if there was a major issue the seller did not disclose. Now, if you just don't care for the sound well, you may not have any luck there. But, since you've already played a D 55 and loved it chances are other D 55's would be good as well. Of course, no two guitars are created equal and you could end up with a dog/lemon but chances are not great of that happening, at least in my opinion.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello All! First post here. I found the site a couple weeks ago and decided it was time to join.
Hi TBK, Welcome aboard!

I have found one that is close to my range - to far to see in person - built in New Hartford, which I understand from here is a good thing. Given my situation - would I be a little crazy to do it? I don’t need it - just can’t get it off my mind. Any thing I should be considering/asking the seller/etc? Any advice on buying a D55 - as a first time Guild buyer? Anything to avoid.
I'm afraid your short time on the site has already affected your thinking and your pocketbook is sure to follow.
My best advice is to turn and run, run so far way, and be thankful if you recover from this curse we call "Guild Acquisition Syndrome".
It's as bad as being a vampire, it's like, forever.
If you find you simply can't tear yourself away from this flame, then I'd at least suggest trying to ease yourself into it gradually.
Going right to a D55 would be kind of like going straight to heroin without stopping to try out pot first, or trying to steer a drag racer without ever having driven before.
Since everybody who posts here regularly has shown that it's impossible to buy just one, I suggest getting some of the cheaper ones out of the way first.
That way at least the D55 will retain its allure and unicorn status for you while you wait for the right one to come along, and you won't feel let down by everything that follows, by having bought that one first.
I'd suggest starting off with a nice sensible used archback D25 from the late '90's.
Ease into the habit with some nice gentle mahogany.
Then you might want to progress to maple with say, a JF30, or even kill two vices with one pick: A JF30-12 (12-string)
THEN you will likely be prepared to try D55.
And oh yes, D'Addario EJ-16 strings work on everything.
Frono said he didn't think anybody would ty to talk you out of this but he's one of the chief vampires.
Don't say I didn't warn you.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard TK
D55 is mighty fine guitar . I’m I right in thinking 1,500 is the most you want to spend ?

A few of us here if not more buy from Reverb and EBay . I bought a few sold a few . The main pain is having to return a guitar at which I’m a pro at and the reason I say that is shipping it back in most cases is on you and that can add up over many returns . Lol

Don’t take that as a deterrent just ask all the right questions and that will make the decision to buy much easier and upping the odds of a more satisfying result . Don’t hesitate to ask the folks here if you need help or info on a Guild .😁

Peace 🙂

geoguy

Reaction score
Welcome, TK . . .

I would ask questions of the seller, and request a few photos, to help you assess the guitar's physical condition (particularly neck angle). Similar to what you might do in person, essentially.

Photos showing the string height above the twelfth fret & saddle height above the bridge can help you assess the guitar's setup & neck angle. Another photo showing how a straightedge laid on the fretboard aligns with the top of the bridge, will also help ascertain the guitar's neck angle. And a photo of the guitar's top that spans from the soundhole up to the ninth fret (or thereabouts) should help you ascertain whether the neck block has moved (an expensive repair).

In short, a New Hartford D-55 for a bit north of $1,500 should be an excellent purchase, assuming no anomalies with the instrument's condition.

This link may help you understand neck angle, if you don't already: http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/NeckAngle/neckangle.html

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome TK:
Many times it helps to talk to seller when meeting and seeing guitar not possible. After talking, you will have a positive or negative feeling-neutral feeling NO. And sometime we just have to take a chance. I did and not only did I get a nice D46, I made a new friend in CosmicArkie.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome, TK . . .

I would ask questions of the seller, and request a few photos, to help you assess the guitar's physical condition (particularly neck angle). Similar to what you might do in person, essentially.

Photos showing the string height above the twelfth fret & saddle height above the bridge can help you assess the guitar's setup & neck angle. Another photo showing how a straightedge laid on the fretboard aligns with the top of the bridge, will also help ascertain the guitar's neck angle. And a photo of the guitar's top that spans from the soundhole up to the ninth fret (or thereabouts) should help you ascertain whether the neck block has moved (an expensive repair).

In short, a New Hartford D-55 for a bit north of $1,500 should be an excellent purchase, assuming no anomalies with the instrument's condition.

This link may help you understand neck angle, if you don't already: http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/NeckAngle/neckangle.html

Very good advice here by geoguy.

I bought off reverb a New Hartford-built F50R - basically the jumbo cousin of the D55 dreadnought - and I couldn't be happier. Ecstatic, really. Overjoyed. Or I could say euphoric. Delirious! Best guitar I ever played, that's for damn sure!

TBK711

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the warm welcome. Really great advice and experience it seems. Very valuable stuff. I feel a lot more comfortable buying sight unseen.

Geoguy and stuball - I think you are right - engaging the seller in some conversation is the best way to get the guitar.

RayK - I’d like to stay at $1500 but I’m not losing a great guitar over a few hundred bucks. I think I would draw a hard line at $2k though. Any good leads? 😀

Adorshki -I’m afraid it’s too late. I think GAS has set in. I am already thinking I may “need” a jumbo ... and of course I don’t have a 12 string ... ugh ... 😀

Fronobulax - great suggestion for n’stuff. I go there a lot. An awesome shop; very knowledgeable, friendly, and low pressure. I think they are just a Guild authorized repair shop. Unfortunately, they do not stick any Guild acoustics.

But mostly, thanks to all for the warm welcome. I look forward to continuing to read the content here, learn more, participate when I ha e something to say (or ask) ... and hopefully actually own a nice Guild sooner than later.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Welcome TK,

Let me see if I've got this right. You've just walked into a bar and asked everyone if you should buy a drink? Do I have the analogy righ?

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD!!! Did you expect other advice?

TBK711

Reaction score
Welcome TK,

Let me see if I've got this right. You've just walked into a bar and asked everyone if you should buy a drink? Do I have the analogy righ?

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD!!! Did you expect other advice?

Nope, I got about what I suspected. (And wanted). I wasn’t looking for anyone to talk me out of this 😀

TBK711

Reaction score
Oh my . . . that is awesome, RayK - thank you!!!! It just so happens I will be flying into Nashville a week from next Tuesday. I could buy it now - I could also risk that it is still there so that I can play it before I buy it. I don't know - that feels like a long time to wait - at that price, I think it could sell any time.

I have also been considering this one.

https://reverb.com/item/13285124-gu...ewood-w-ebony-fretboard-nitrocellulose-finish

If you had a choice between the two; anyone care to advise on which one to buy?

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hi TK. Here's an older Guild D 55 listed on Reverb. (1976). It has some wear but certainly no more than you'd expect on a 40 year old guitar. Personally, I'm a big fan of older wood and I suspect it's opened up nicely by now. He's at $1900 but will accept offers so who knows what you could get it for. Also offers free shipping which is always a plus. It's apparently had a refret. I'd ask specifically about neck angle and saddle height if it's of any interest to you. I'd also ask if the case shown is the OHSC with the Guild badging.

Just trying to help you spend your money Bro.

https://reverb.com/item/13676925-guild-d55nt-1976-westerly-ri-original-owner

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Adorshki -I’m afraid it’s too late. I think GAS has set in. I am already thinking I may “need” a jumbo ... and of course I don’t have a 12 string ... ugh ... ��
Don't say I didn't warn you.
:glee:
But, kidding aside and confirming what others have said, with Guild it seems that the percentage of "duds" is so low that chances of getting burned by a guitar that just doesn't sound very good or has serious hidden construction issues are pretty low, and I think that's one reason so many folks here have become comfortable buying over the 'net.
Especially since, in your case, you already know you're comfortable with the size and feel of a dreadnought.
The next question that frequently comes up is if there are significant sound differences between various factories and again the consensus appears to be for amazing consistency, although the New Hartford plant was getting a very high percentage of rave reviews at the end.
Some owners of multiple factory's product believe they were the best.
Prior to that Westerly was the "Legendary" factory and Corona seemed to be the one that couldn't get no respect.
Except that now the Coronas seem to be finally be hitting the 10-15 year old sweet spot and are really starting to shine themselves, so don't be put off by internet Fender-bashing of Corona if you come across it.
That bad rep can actually work in your favor price- wise.
Point is it's hard to go wrong with any D55 and you should be sure to find one in your price range with a little patience.
Personally I like to buy new with warranty but otherwise I'd suggest nothing older than late '90's Westerly just for likelihood of still having a lot of useful life left before potential need for something major like the dreaded neck re-set.
Some of us Westerly fans think their high point was '96-'01, after Fender bought 'em in '95.
Final note I don't recall seeing any "refurbished" D55's but if you come across one with something taped over the s/n on the label, consult with us.
In fact if you're not comfortable with assessing a piece from pics yourself, give us a shout-out.
Some of us spot things that get by others.
They may not be deal killers but just nice to know when bidding.
Go forth and try to get invited into as many houses as possible, and stay away from garlic.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Nope, I got about what I suspected. (And wanted). I wasn’t looking for anyone to talk me out of this ��
In his excitement our friend Retro Rocker posted his welcome in a thread about a guitar he thought you might want to check out:
Welcome TK!
Too bad you let that first D55 slip through your fingers! “the one that got away!”
IMO, you can’t go wrong with a Tacoma or New Hartford build! Excellent instruments and recent enough to get one in good shape, at your price-point, even on the internet! The ultimate dread! Love the bling too!

Not throwing shade on Westerlys, but they will be older and require a bit more scrutiny.

And, yes, if you can handle the size, an F50 or F50r is a great choice, they are amazing guitars!

OR, you can heed Al!s advice and RUN before it’s too late!
Better yet, check out thd D55 Rich posted. Hmmmmm...

In this thread if you haven't seen it yet:
(just click on it)
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?196724-2010-NH-D-55-at-Carter-Vintage-Guitars