Afternoon Delight

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting article in the Washington Post about the song "Afternoon Delight" and the Starland Vocal Band.

Here if you can get past the paywall.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...big-hit/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d79fb052d7e2

For those of you who can't, I snagged the picture.

ltdetanlw44cdpc4snrj6udzha-png.jpg

That's Bill Danoff with the Guild. He also co-wrote John Denver's hit, "Take Me Home, Country Roads". Makes me wonder if one told the other about Guild 12 strings.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Frono:
Thanks for the picture. I will venture a guess that he told John Denver about the Guild 12 string guitars. As a songwriter, he wanted the best and most consistant sound he could afford. Guild is/was the best bang for the dollar. Doubt his bank account was over flowing. My 2 cents worth.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Frono:
Thanks for the picture. I will venture a guess that he told John Denver about the Guild 12 string guitars. As a songwriter, he wanted the best and most consistant sound he could afford. Guild is/was the best bang for the dollar. Doubt his bank account was over flowing. My 2 cents worth.

OK not a big Denver fan but it did get my curiosity up since I'm kind of a fan of "who introduced what to who" stories.
A Google search led me to this comprehensive run-down of Denver's brand ownership history which might well have been linked here before:
https://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2015/08/john-denvers-guitars.html
I'll forgive the blog's author for being a little murky about Guild model nomenclature, there.
Surprise to me was that his first 12-er was actually a Gibson, but there's a video link of him with an F212XL during his tenure with the Chad Mitchell Trio by 1968, there:
JD%2Bchad%2Bmitchel.jpg
Not sure if Denver knew Danoff before the "Country Roads" jam session, but the Wiki page for "Country Roads" makes it sound like they didn't meet until '70, well after Denver'd already found Guild 12-ers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Me_Home,_Country_Roads

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The pic is from the mid-1970's. For Danoff to have influenced Denver's choice of Guild they would have had to have met circa 1968 or earlier. I'm going to attribute this to great minds thinking alike, but independently :)

For my education, any guesses as to the model Danoff is playing. "large" and "maple" are about all I am able to derive from the picture and either of those could be wrong :)

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Last edited:

idealassets

Reaction score
The 12 string in that pic certainly looks to be a stock Guild F412 based on all the deco on the headstock and neck. The soft finger picking at the intro and through the song sounds to be done on an F412.

Although this song played a lot I never really got tired of it, despite a slight corniness to it all.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The 12 string in that pic certainly looks to be a stock Guild F412 based on all the deco on the headstock and neck. The soft finger picking at the intro and through the song sounds to be done on an F412.
Agreed, I'm about 99.9% sure it was the only maple-bodied 12-string in the line until the JF30-12, introduced in '87.
Although this song played a lot I never really got tired of it, despite a slight corniness to it all.
Hey, it was the '70's.
I think everybody's received a pardon since then, or at least had their permanent records expunged.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Johns "Poems, Prayers and Promises" album was released in 1971 and recorded in 1970....... with a prominent Guild 12 on the album art so obviously the Guilds were "discovered" at some point in the 60's ....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Johns "Poems, Prayers and Promises" album was released in 1971 and recorded in 1970....... with a prominent Guild 12 on the album art so obviously the Guilds were "discovered" at some point in the 60's ....
F212/312 (first production Guild 12-ers) intro'd '64-'65, Chad Mitchell Trio video dated at 1968, so that's the "window of opportunity".
:friendly_wink:
At this point I got a suspicion it's more likely Danoff acquired his taste for Guilds from Denver, rather than the other way 'round.