Silica Gel (?)

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Howdy, I had an idea this morning and wanted to get some input from you ladies and gents.

PREFACE: I live in the Orlando FL area and our weather here tends to get very humid. Having been raised without air conditioning and in a classic German household that loves "FRISCHLUFT!", I am typically most comfortable when all the windows are wide open. My girlfriend, born and raised in FL, also spent the majority of her time growing up without A/C and being active outside, so she is of the same sentiment. Our apartment has big windows and a great cross breeze, but as a result of allowing the air to come and go as it pleases, we do have some mildew on occasion, which we stay on top of and clean at first sight.

IDEA: The reason I made this thread is out of a bit of concern for my treasured and recently restored Thunderbass amp... over time, I don't want the humidity to oxidize and eat away at the now-squeaky-clean innards of the amp. My idea was to make a cover for the amp and place a few silica gel packets in there to help keep the humidity down inside the amp. Do you think this would work? If so, what should I make the cover out of nylon, vinyl, coconut shells? Any other moisture-battling ideas?

Any input is appreciated!

Sidenote: running the A/C all the time or a dehumidifier are pretty much out of the question as we are pretty big on conserving energy

72752039-single-silica-gel-packet-isolated-on-white-background-.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
MG, I think silica will absorb some of the humidity, but then somehow it has to get rid of it or (I think) it'll stop. Maybe you have to put the packs in an oven or direct sunlight or something to dry them out??? I don't know. I'd read up on this. Also, I think Planet Waves has some sort of dehumidification system which you should look into. I'm pretty sure that requires some regular maintenance.

Your best bet is a room dehumidifier, MG, since you don't want to run your A/C. You spill the water container out every day and it lowers the humidity nicely. Those really aren't that expensive to run.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
The short answer is 'I don't know exactly'. That said:

I am dubious that silica gel packs set at/near/inside an amplifier in an otherwise breezy tropical environment would adequately control moisture. Id think that this would be like trying to use a Q-Tip to stop a dam break.

Your prized amplifier is virtually at the mercy of its tropical environment...an environment where you admit to have somewhat regular mildew appearances. Obviously you shouldn't change your life/environment choice(s) for your amplifier's sake alone. Though not convenient, I would consider some type of moisture-proof/resistant enclosure.....then put Boveda packs inside to maintain approx. 50% humidity. Something like a clothing storage bag or similar...with both amp and moisture control packs placed within. This won't be the most convenient thing should you use this amp regularly....but at least you will sleep well knowing that your amp is not decaying. Also...should the amp have speaker cones that may be susceptible to moisture change(s)....placing the amp in a climate controlled bag might add some longevity and health there as well.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Thanks, good call on the Boveda packs! I had never heard of them before (or Humidipak for that matter). I'll give them a try

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Thanks, good call on the Boveda packs! I had never heard of them before (or Humidipak for that matter). I'll give them a try
The packs work great....but you will have to keep the amp (and packs) in an enclosed/encased environment for them to work adequately.

dklsplace

Reaction score
I use charcoal briquettes in the boat when it's covered. Very efficient & keeps mold/mildew at bay.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Humidity control of any type only works in a closed system.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Humidipaks are nice, but you do NOT need to toss them out and buy new when they are spent. This is the method I use and I've been through a half-dozen recharge cycles. I supplement my Oasis in-case humidifiers with Humidipaks in the winter.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I'd recommend keeping the amp in a closed room, no open windows, with a dehumidifier running. Even then, as GAD's comment implies, you'll be fighting against the rest of your house.

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
IDEA: The reason I made this thread is out of a bit of concern for my treasured and recently restored Thunderbass amp... over time, I don't want the humidity to oxidize and eat away at the now-squeaky-clean innards of the amp. My idea was to make a cover for the amp and place a few silica gel packets in there to help keep the humidity down inside the amp. Do you think this would work? If so, what should I make the cover out of nylon, vinyl, coconut shells? Any other moisture-battling ideas?

Any input is appreciated!
As GAD pointed out, unless it's a sealed enclosure it's not going to do any good.
I'm thinking great big plastic bag, knotted or twist-tie closed, with enough dessicant to keep very dry.
Drier is better, actual zero humididty would be ideal, if possible, for electronics components and oxidation prevention.
A google search turned up an outfit that might be able to help, if finding the right size bag is a problem:
https://i.vimeocdn.com/video/445510732_780x439.jpg
Or who knows you might even be able to find an old Heathkit Home Hyperbaric Chamber in airtight condition.
It doesn't have to actually work, just be airtight:
60-Veritcal.jpg

I liked Don's charcoal idea but the ashes might be a little messy.
:glee:

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys! Lots of good points here. We are planning on moving at the end of November and I will definitely keep the humidity factor in mind when scoping out a new home... hope to find a place where we can have a wide-open hang out room in addition to a more closed-off rest of the house or apartment.
We're also probably going to be adopting a cat after the move (incidentally coming from the amp-tech who just restored my Thunderbass amp) so there's another threat to the gear! I kid, my babies are always in their cases when they're not being played and this cat has plenty of experience and proven respect for amps ;)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
The electrical connections are largely tin-lead compounds. They are not too susceptible to average humidity. I would be more concerned about the tolex and other porous materials.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Humidipaks are nice, but you do NOT need to toss them out and buy new when they are spent. This is the method I use and I've been through a half-dozen recharge cycles. I supplement my Oasis in-case humidifiers with Humidipaks in the winter.

gj, this looked useful, but I think in terms of "recharging" these things this was showing how to get them to add humidity. Is there a different process for drying a pack out? I realize this is supposed to be about closed systems, and mellow is asking about packaging an amp, but with respect to guitar cases, they are permeable. Thoughts for dealing with dehumidifying? Can you recharge a pack?

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thoughts for dealing with dehumidifying? Can you recharge a pack?

To "dry out" loose silica gel beads, the usual instruction is to place them in a 250 degree oven for up to three hours. As long as you keep the oven temperature low enough (so you don't light off the envelope), I think you can do the same with the Humidipaks. I have never tried it.

A couple of notes: Do NOT use the microwave to dry them out - they will burst. Also, reports are the Humidipak envelope may bread down after repeated rehumidification cycles, so I'd watch the physical condition of the Humidipaks.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
To "dry out" loose silica gel beads, the usual instruction is to place them in a 250 degree oven for up to three hours. As long as you keep the oven temperature low enough (so you don't light off the envelope), I think you can do the same with the Humidipaks. I have never tried it.

A couple of notes: Do NOT use the microwave to dry them out - they will burst. Also, reports are the Humidipak envelope may bread down after repeated rehumidification cycles, so I'd watch the physical condition of the Humidipaks.

So, gm, is silica what's used in the humidipaks? Just curious. That was not mentioned in Taylor's video. Anyway, good stuff.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, gm, is silica what's used in the humidipaks? Just curious. That was not mentioned in Taylor's video. Anyway, good stuff.

Not sure. According to Planet Waves:

"The Humidipak packets consist of a formulated salt, water, and gel solution contained in a leak-proof water vapor-permeable membrane. Based on scientific principles, the saturated solution will maintain a constant level of 45%-50% relative humidity within a sealed environment (your instrument case) without damaging fluctuations in humidity. The Humidipak System will actually dispense vapor as the humidity level goes down while at the same time absorb vapor when the humidity level rises within the instrument case."