Still wish I had the D50

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, I shouldn't sell off my dread , even if I play others more ? Is that the advice I can glean from this. :)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Woody, why did you sell it? I don't get this selling guitars thing unless you don't like them. I have not sold a guitar yet. The only one I'd sell was in another recent post of mine. Although it's beautiful and plays super good plugged in..... it's worthless. What's the point? But why did you?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Woody, why did you sell it? I don't get this selling guitars thing unless you don't like them. I have not sold a guitar yet. The only one I'd sell was in another recent post of mine. Although it's beautiful and plays super good plugged in..... it's worthless. What's the point? But why did you?

Tom, I wish I had read this post of yours the day before I sold it :). You could have talked some sense into me.
I cannot answer your good question outside of, I am clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer :).

Hope you are recovering well and your D65 is on the mend too.

But hey, all is not lost, I still got the Br! And it is still the only guitar I really play these days. Neal suggested I use really old Elixir strings on it, and he was right. Genius even. The tone is just awesome.

jcwu

Reaction score
Neal suggested I use really old Elixir strings on it, and he was right. Genius even. The tone is just awesome.

Where exactly does one find really old strings, except off of other guitars? Or am I not understanding this right? Color me curious.

I also liked my guitars with older strings, but I didn't like putting on new strings and having to wait a few weeks for the strings to break in. So I got the D'Addario coated strings... they sound old-ish to me right out of the bag, perfect for what I like. :)

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

I absolutely understand the selling guitar thing. For me at least there have been numerous dog/vet costs I just couldn't handle and needed help to get there or I'd like to make a home improvement and need to raise cash. Like you say Tom, if a person just can't get along with a guitar then it should be sold. The last two happen often for me:

1.) I want the hots for a specific piece of gear. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash to pay for it so I need to sell something to get to where I need to be.

2.) I want to try a new piece of gear I've never owned before. If that's the case, I look at what I've got and decide what needs to be sacrificed to get it. It often times is a piece I really like or even love but if you don't have the cash you do what you gotta do. If I had the opportunity to play and love a piece for an extended period of time then maybe it's time to let it go and give somebody else the opportunity plus give me an avenue to fund the new piece of gear. Of course, there are several I'll take to the grave as well.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
All of you are making me want to get my hands on a D50 and give it a listen. Soundwise, is DV52 close?

Eric P.

Reaction score
If I had owned one, would have regretted selling it too. And this is from a guy who has owned more guitars over the past 30 years than some stores have had. (Well, maybe not, but close). Wasn't until the last few years that I stopped chasing "the sound" and just decided to be happier with what I have. Still buy and sell instruments occasionally, but nothing compared to the past.

Antney

Reaction score
I think the d50 is the standard by which all guilds should be judged upon. Most are superb, some exceptional. Mine is the latter. It keeps me from needing or wanting any other guitar (brand, wood, size). It’s earned 25 years of nicks, scratches, divots, ncl wear and bruises and still plays beautifully. Pure blingless at its best. My two criticisms: I wish it had nickel tuners (don’t like gold, but they are nicely worn) and I wish it had a decal on the headstock instead of inlay. If the d25 is the gateway drug, the d50 is full recovery.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great thoughts, Antney. I've been a D-50 fan ever since I picked up a Tacoma-built model many years ago. I'd have one in my stable if I didn't love the dreads I already have in my stable. The D-50 has a huge, boomy sound. The beautiful thing is the variety of dreads in Guild's lineup. They're all very different and great!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Where exactly does one find really old strings, except off of other guitars? Or am I not understanding this right? Color me curious.

I also liked my guitars with older strings, but I didn't like putting on new strings and having to wait a few weeks for the strings to break in. So I got the D'Addario coated strings... they sound old-ish to me right out of the bag, perfect for what I like. :)

hey JC, or I just leave them on now. I was someone who would change strings twice a month, and I don't even play out. I started to gravitate towards coated strings a while back, finally landing on Elixirs. Neal has the same D25 as mine, so when he suggested old Elixirs, either removing them from another guitar like you suggest or just wait them out till they go dead. He was right on. So now i change strings when one breaks or like twice a year :).

mike1100

Reaction score
So if money, time, and desire converged would you hunt down another D50, or was it "that" guitar that you miss?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
All of you are making me want to get my hands on a D50 and give it a listen. Soundwise, is DV52 close?

Short answer, yes.
Long answer, possibly better in any given A/B comparo.
DV52 was derived from D50 but has the "Dreadnought Vintage" build details like I explained about DV-6's, but DV-52's also got scalloped bracing which I'm pretty sure D50's did not, at least not consistently.
Even D55's didn't get 'em consistently.
There're knowledgeable members here that believe DV52's might the the best bang-for-buck Guild of all.
All the sound and none of the frills if you don't want 'em.
Also that same GuIld Gallery says that the DV52 was used as "the basis for all the Guild Custom Shop models."
(BY which I assume they meant if it was a Nashville Custom Shop dreadnought it was based on DV52 build specs)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So if money, time, and desire converged would you hunt down another D50, or was it "that" guitar that you miss?

Thanks for the question Mike. Maybe. As I am not in the market now and just cannot see myself spending $ on a guitar anytime soon. But, I might consider a trade for one. :)