SF-4 on craigs list

CA-35

Reaction score
Great score! Congratulations! And Happy 4th of July. :applause:

I found that a hollow body, f-hole archtop guitar made for an easy transition from playing acoustic guitar to electric guitar. The body is a familiar size and comfortable to hold; and the neck has a nice, full profile. For me it was a CE-100. Now you can begin to explore the wonderful world of Amps! There are a lot of nice low powered amps on the market these days for living room use. I am sure you'll get a lot of recommendations from the folks here on LTG.

Yes please advise I am a neophyte to amps as well.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Man, this thread is what the Internet should be about. Congrats on the killer find and I'm glad we could help you get there. I think you got yourself quite the prize and you've got such a versatile and well-made guitar that it could easily last a lifetime.

Don't get too hung up on amps. You can spend anywhere from $40-40,000 on an amp and if you don't know what you're looking for you can end up wasting a lot of money on the hunt. You can go crazy chasing vintage then more crazy chasing vintage tubes and then decide that you want a different "flavor" and start all over again. Since that guitar can do it all from blues to jazz to rock to whatever else you can dream up, you can get a LOT of versatility from different amps.

Though the purists might scoff, for someone new to electrics I'd recommend a good modeling amp. The latest modeling amps are really quite good and unless you're playing in a band at volume the finer points of tone aren't that important. A modeler can get you many amp simulations in a single package which is a pretty big deal for someone in your position IMO, and you can get some pretty great tones and effects for not a lot of money.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Though the purists might scoff, for someone new to electrics I'd recommend a good modeling amp. The latest modeling amps are really quite good and unless you're playing in a band at volume the finer points of tone aren't that important. A modeler can get you many amp simulations in a single package which is a pretty big deal for someone in your position IMO, and you can get some pretty great tones and effects for not a lot of money.

No scoffing. but straight up approval on this advice, which would also be mine. Possibilities are endless (and affordable) with amp simulators.
Ideal for any "living room" guitarist. (Or Bed room. Hell, even for kitchen players!) :laughing:

CA-35

Reaction score
Man, this thread is what the Internet should be about. Congrats on the killer find and I'm glad we could help you get there. I think you got yourself quite the prize and you've got such a versatile and well-made guitar that it could easily last a lifetime.

Don't get too hung up on amps. You can spend anywhere from $40-40,000 on an amp and if you don't know what you're looking for you can end up wasting a lot of money on the hunt. You can go crazy chasing vintage then more crazy chasing vintage tubes and then decide that you want a different "flavor" and start all over again. Since that guitar can do it all from blues to jazz to rock to whatever else you can dream up, you can get a LOT of versatility from different amps.

Hung up on amps?? I'm still hung up on this Starfire. GAD it's beyond belief. When we first met I asked him if he knew where she was made and when he said the USA I knew he wasn't a Guilder. As soon as he opened up the case I almost fainted. The condition was pristine, truly no BS, pristine. The first thing I did was look through the left side F-hole and when I saw Westerly I started to shake. I didn't hesitate to pull the cash out of my pocket and pay him fearing it was a dream and I would soon wake! I peeled off six c-notes, shook his hand and ran out of the place where we met before he awoke and changed his mind based on my enthusiasm. Once in a while we get lucky, this was one of those days. He also confessed that it had been on Craig's list for over a week and he had fielded several calls but no lookers. When I saw the ad even a novice like me recognized the value and after several encouraging posts like yours I pounced on it; from first sight to purchase it wasn't more than 3 hours.

What is a modeling amp? Any brand recommendation?

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Even before getting into modelers (I've got AmpliTube on my iPad and quite enjoy messing with it) or anything with tubes I'd suggest tracking down a used Vox Pathfinder 15R on the 'nets. Shouldn't cost more than ~US$120 and offers huge bang per buck. I use mine as the wet amp in a dry/wet setup, the dry amp being an old AC15 Twin. The Pathfinder hangs with the golden oldie just fine.

-Dave-

CA-35

Reaction score
Somebody run the Serial # it is AG001123 and from the looks of the wood she appears to be Mahogany?

CA-35

Reaction score
What's even stranger is that yesterday afternoon I'm at Guitar Center looking at an '87 D-25 Natural that was in great shape and they were asking $699.00 with a case but not a Guild case and they would not budge on the price. The non-Guild case made me hesitate, and I left. What a blessing in disguise only to find this Gem this morning. I am doing back flips.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
A modeling amp is an amplifier with solid state circuitry and possibly something called a DSP (digital signal processor) that simulates the sound you get from one or more different amps. I wrote a review of a small one I used to have some years ago here: http://www.gad.net/Blog/2010/07/20/vox-vt30-valvetronix-amp-review/ Tech has advanced considerably since then.

The one Bluespicky linked is an amp simulator pedal which will require amplification. That may sound odd, but they're designed for running direct to the PA or FOH system. You'd probably want something self contained for simplicity's sake. That said, SansAmp kicks ***. They have some very cool options.

Brands: The most common you're likely to see is Line6. I'm not a fan for various reasons.

One that's getting a lot of attention lately is the Mashall Code amps. They sound amazing for not a lot of cash and the larger ones will sit with any band.

Vox still makes great modeling amps.

The Fender Mustangs get decent reviews, but I've never been thrilled with them.

There are a bunch more. As a guy who's played through most of the great vintage tube amps, I currently use an Axe-FX modeler which is orders of magnitude beyond any of the ones listed, and that includes the price. :) For me, versatility and light weight trumps tone because I can get 90% of the tone and simulate 100 different rigs without breaking my back.

My advice is to go to a guitar center and try them all. If you don't feel comfortable playing, ask one of the GC sales guys to demo them. I'm sure they'd love to hear their own playing instead of Stairway to Heaven for the 384th time that day.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I would buy a small Fender tube amp like the Fender Pro Jr. Tweed which has a 10 inch Jensen speaker.

and/or keep an eye out for a clean silver face (1970s) Fender Vibro Champ.

for solid state amps I would only buy Vox or Marshall, but i'd get a nice Fender tube amp for that if it were me. the 5-watters I listed above would be super nice. just add pedals like a holy grail reverb, boss overdrive/distortion, just standard stuff would sound incredible. Also the Fender Blues Jr. Tweed is a 15-watt version of the Pr Jr, with onboard reverb tank and 12-inch Jensen. there are a million amps to choose from, the advice to try them all at Guitar Cemter is good advice. look for the tweed covered Fender tube amps while you are there.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
but no worries, it's the same set of strings as on your acoustic! It will come to you effortlessly! :)

EJ-16's, the world's most versatile string(s).
:glee:

Somebody run the Serial # it is AG001123 and from the looks of the wood she appears to be Mahogany?
Looks like '98 is a good bet as previously mentioned by observation of specs:
"AG000937" was last one on record for '97 on the Guild charts.
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/history_of_your_guild.pdf

PS was only kidding about the EJ-16's.
Was thinking Pascal was playing a running joke about a comment I made about 'em a while back: "EJ-16's on everything!!"

Ya done good.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Need some advice on this SF-4. I inquired about the year so stay tuned but in the interim does $600.00 sound like a good deal barring unseen/undisclosed damage? Its close to me I will check out this week. What say you because I know nothing about electrics.

I just read through this thread - for someone who knows nothing, you scored an amazingly great deal! Congratulations!

Rock on!

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats CA-35! Yes I am 99% sure that the Black finished SF3s and SF4's from 97-98 were all Mahogany as yours appears to be from the photos that were in the listing. As far as amps go, My first home tube amp was the 15 watt Fender Blues Jr. Tweed with the 12" Jensen in it and I still play it to this day as it has a wonderful Clean sound to it with some nice Grit as well. Also it is light and doesn't take up a lot of room. I don;t think you could go wrong with a modeler amp either if that is what you decide on. Awesome Buy man and I hope you enjoy it for a long time!

TX

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes I am 99% sure that the Black finished SF3s and SF4's from 97-98 were all Mahogany as yours appears to be from the photos that were in the listing.

That's not correct! During that particular period black finished SF3s and SF4s could have mahogany as well as maple bodies.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

CA-35

Reaction score
I just read through this thread - for someone who knows nothing, you scored an amazingly great deal! Congratulations!

Rock on!

walrus
Well Walrus I wouldn't say I know nothing........I am full of useless knowledge, however, when it comes to electric guitars you are spot on. And yes ignorance is bliss today.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Congrats...as to amps, while you're doing some research and learning, if you have a small acoustic amp for your acoustics, you can plug an electric into it just fine...likely you'll need either a preamp/pedal/DI box to boost the signal from the passive PUPs to the amp...you'll be able to hear it and practice...until you know what you really would like.

Last edited:

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Yes please advise I am a neophyte to amps as well.

It used to be that folks would turn their noses up at solid state amps because they didn't have the "warmth" of a tube amp; or the delicious "crunch" when driven to distortion. But that isn't the case any more. The software in the "modeling" solid state amps can replicate these sounds very accurately. Sometimes, it can be a little complicated to figure out all the different "amp clones" available on the "modeling" amps. And a simple Volume, Bass, Treble setup (like the Fender Champ and Fender Pro Jr./Blues Jr. mentioned above) can be a useful learning tool. Anywhere from 5 watts to 15 watts should be plenty for a "living room/practice" amp.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice find! I would suggest an inexpensive little tube amp like a Super Champ X2, which has digital effect built in. These are perfect for home, practice, and small gigs and can be had used for around $200-300.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Nice score! Thanks for letting us all live vicariously through you for at least a little bit!

Amps. Nearly as subjective as which strings are "best." Forget the modeling amps....as Quantum Strummer noted, you can get apps on your electronic devices to play around with, but there's nothing quite like plugging straight into tube power. And personally, I haven't found anything quite as nice as a good hollow body in a single 15" tube amp. Fender has a couple recent "pawn shop" series tube amps that are low power 1x15's. They aren't out of this world, but would definitely be an inexpensive option for a first go.....and they don't look half bad. Cause you know......chicks dig guys with cool looking gear. :wink: