SF-4 on craigs list

CA-35

Reaction score
Need some advice on this SF-4. I inquired about the year so stay tuned but in the interim does $600.00 sound like a good deal barring unseen/undisclosed damage? Its close to me I will check out this week. What say you because I know nothing about electrics.

01616_lHblrw17bl6_1200x900.jpg

00808_2OFxutUNR2z_1200x900.jpg

00H0H_1Ac9JPjt9Bm_1200x900.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That looks like a Westerly SF4 to me. Probably '97-99 if I had to guess. If it's $600, buy it. Unless it's got a broken neck or some major repair that is a screaming deal. I paid twice that for mine.

Last edited:

CA-35

Reaction score
That looks like a Westerly SF4 to me. Probably '07-99 if I had to guess. If it's $600, buy it. Unless it's got a broken neck or some major repair that is a screaming deal. I paid twice that for mine.

Thanks. I thought it seemed priced low. Its a 2010. im trying to see it this afternoon

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks. I thought it seemed priced low. Its a 2010. im trying to see it this afternoon

That guitar is not a 2010. If they think it's a 2010 that's why it's priced so low. Look at the sticker in the F-hole. If it says Westerly buy it. If it says Corona (which I doubt) buy it.

Those are SD1 pickups, the pick guard is over the pickup rings and is the wrong shape, metal switch tip, etc. etc. etc.

It wouldn't be the first mistaken Westerly I've seen. I just got a SFIII for a great price because of a similar error.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, I don't think there was a Starfire in 2010.

PittPastor

Reaction score
They probably think saying its 2010 makes it more valuable. Many people see guitars like cars. Which would you rather have, a 2007 Jeep or a 2010 Jeep? Even in guitars it makes a little sense. The thing is, with Guild where they were made is as important (or more) than when.

I can understand why folks get confused.

CA-35

Reaction score
That guitar is not a 2010. If they think it's a 2010 that's why it's priced so low. Look at the sticker in the F-hole. If it says Westerly buy it. If it says Corona (which I doubt) buy it.

Those are SD1 pickups, the pick guard is over the pickup rings and is the wrong shape, metal switch tip, etc. etc. etc.

It wouldn't be the first mistaken Westerly I've seen. I just got a SFIII for a great price because of a similar error.

Im seeing it at 230 with cash in hand. Thx so much for the info!! Barring a broken neck that puppy is mine. Buying an electric is the last thing I could see myself doing but I love the look of that guitar and with your guys input how can I go wrong?? Looks like I have my 4th of July planned........learning about Starfires and buying an amp. Stay tuned my friends........

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

Yeah. Watch the label and serial. I don't think there was a Starfire made in 2010 either. If the label indicates it was made in Westerly or Corona then it is probably a good deal. Perhaps a dyslexic meant 2001? What you probably don't want at that price is a Newark Street model. They are fine guitars but $600 is a fair price and not a screamin' deal IMO.

CA-35

Reaction score
Yeah. Watch the label and serial. I don't think there was a Starfire made in 2010 either. If the label indicates it was made in Westerly or Corona then it is probably a good deal. Perhaps a dyslexic meant 2001? What you probably don't want at that price is a Newark Street model. They are fine guitars but $600 is a fair price and not a screamin' deal IMO.

Thanks Frono. I will know more when i see it today at 2:30 ish.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Better jump on that one Quick! Definitely a Westerly model with the Red case lining and Black finish. Most likely a 97-98 due to the black finish and pickups like GAD mentioned as well. If I am not mistaken the Black ones are all Mahogany which has a lovely rich tone to it. Most of the other models were maple which is a bit brighter and punchier sounding. I have both a Hog version and a Maple Version and they are both Amazing instruments. At that price this is a no brainer, Best of luck!

TX

CA-35

Reaction score
Better jump on that one Quick! Definitely a Westerly model with the Red case lining and Black finish. Most likely a 97-98 due to the black finish and pickups like GAD mentioned as well. If I am not mistaken the Black ones are all Mahogany which has a lovely rich tone to it. Most of the other models were maple which is a bit brighter and punchier sounding. I have both a Hog version and a Maple Version and they are both Amazing instruments. At that price this is a no brainer, Best of luck!

TX

I'm like a kid in a candy store.....2:30 can't get here soon enough.......thanks guys I will advise. What better way to celebrate the 4th with a Starfire 4 right??

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
you can see the 90's Westerly label in the soundhole, in the photo, pretty easilly.

Corona and Newark Street lablels look different.

this looks late 90s. good luck!

DThomasC

Reaction score
Fair chance that the seller has looked on the internet and found new Starfires selling for $800 - $1000 and decided that $600 is a fair price for a used one. They might not realize that a 20 year old, made in USA sample can be worth twice that much.

Personally, it makes me feel unclean to take advantage of someone in that situation, but I suppose what they don't know won't hurt them.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fair chance that the seller has looked on the internet and found new Starfires selling for $800 - $1000 and decided that $600 is a fair price for a used one. They might not realize that a 20 year old, made in USA sample can be worth twice that much.

Personally, it makes me feel unclean to take advantage of someone in that situation, but I suppose what they don't know won't hurt them.

there is a chance the seller got this guitar for free and is asking $600 in hopes of a quick sale resulting in $500 minimum.
The label is clear as day, it says made in Westerly, RI...which is obviously made in USA. There is a serial number, a model number, and a brand name on the instrument. there is a brand name on the deluxe heavy duty case which is obviously high in quality. If the seller is not interested in doing any research (if they can post on CL they can google the guitar for 10 minutes..), and a buyer comes along and pays asking price or very close, that is not taking advantage of someone.

if u go to a yard sale and an elderly individual is selling a 1959 tele or les paul for $100, there might be some responsibility there to do the right thing.

Just my opinion, but that guitar at that price on CL is fair game. I've seen those go for less than a grand. not every day, but it happens. yes with those pickups.

just make sure it's not stolen!! always ask "how long have u owned this, where did u buy it from..."

CA-35

Reaction score
Is it 2:30 yet?... :distracted:

OK turned out he was a liar..........we met at 1:00PM not 2:30ish hahhahhahahhahhahha

Ladies and Gentlemen she is farking ultra mint condition and YES she was born in Westerly R.I. which her birth certificate clearly states. And if it couldn't get any better she comes with her original Guild hard shell case as well. Not a scratch not even a finger print. The frets look unplayed she was a closet case for most of her years. This guy said he bought her brand new in 2010 but he obviously is mistaken and who cares. I scored a beautiful Starfire 4 and I barely know what that is. She takes my breath away....can't wait to learn how to play her......Bluesy you are my closest neighbor.....what are your plans for the next few months?????

Serial number is AG001123

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bluesy you are my closest neighbor.....what are your plans for the next few months?????
WOW.... Congrats man, very happy for you. Sometimes what seems too nice to be true really is true! Awesome.
Looks like the summer is gonna be a busy one for me (starting with a trip to Canada soon), but no worries, it's the same set of strings as on your acoustic! It will come to you effortlessly! :)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
congrats u done well. the neck pickup on those is the best sounding neck bucker i have ever heard on any electric.

also the prior owner may have very well "purchased it new in 2010" as that can mean a lot of things, and they are making no claim to the date it was manufactured (and u are telling us it looks brand new), so whatever the case, sounds like everyone is happy!

CA-35

Reaction score
congrats u done well. the neck pickup on those is the best sounding neck bucker i have ever heard on any electric.

also the prior owner may have very well "purchased it new in 2010" as that can mean a lot of things, and they are making no claim to the date it was manufactured (and u are telling us it looks brand new), so whatever the case, sounds like everyone is happy!

Happy is an understatement. I'm aroused. I snuck out of my office claiming an emergency pick up of blue prints for an estimate that couldn't wait, and in my estimate she is brand spanking new honestly not even a smudge. Now I have the case open and she is beaming in my office and passers by who dont even know guitars are commenting and when I tell them she is almost 20 years old they don't believe me. Somebody run her serial number please.....I need all HANS on deck pun intended! So much joy and I really don't know crap about Starfires, but I will. Oh me oh my. She is a true black beauty.

More pics will follow when I get home.....stand by

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Great score! Congratulations! And Happy 4th of July. :applause:

I found that a hollow body, f-hole archtop guitar made for an easy transition from playing acoustic guitar to electric guitar. The body is a familiar size and comfortable to hold; and the neck has a nice, full profile. For me it was a CE-100. Now you can begin to explore the wonderful world of Amps! There are a lot of nice low powered amps on the market these days for living room use. I am sure you'll get a lot of recommendations from the folks here on LTG.