Well, I picked up a Gibson J-45

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Despite my complete satisfaction with my F-50R, I always figured I'd have to pick up a nice Gibson at some point. Last time I had on order a walnut-backed J-15 burst (with the abalone rosette) through Music Villa in Bozeman, the F-50R popped up, and I went with that instead. Never looked back. And not sorry I never looked back!

So now I ran into this 2015 J-45 custom shop red-stained flamed maple. 65 of them made. Reportedly in mint condition. Put in a good deal offer, which was accepted. Came in the other day. Action was high, so I took it in for a pro setup. Now she plays fine, sounds good. Bass is good and present, and there's good balance throughout. Has nice electronics and a modicum of bling. It's a great guitar, but it's not an F-50R!

jff340.jpg

jff342.jpg

jff343.jpg

jff346.jpg

jff347.jpg

jff334.jpg

jff339.jpg

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Congrats!
My first guitar, period, was a brand new 1969 J45 and it looked a bit different than this one. I kept it long enough to make my fingers bleed on the way to a few other brands.

Wish I could see it again, just for a visit. :wink:

Joe

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Cougar:
Beautiful, gorgeous, and stunning are first three adjectives that went through my mind. You have to be happy, today.
And your username always brings additional joy to your post as I taught and coached at the high school level for 40 years and last 33 were at Dickson County whose mascot is the Cougar.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the J 45. I have four of them, all different tonewoods. Although my 1st love is, and will likely always be, the Guild brand, the Gibson sound is unique (to my ear anyway). I always hear a bit of honkytonk and a bit of twang whenever I pick mine up.

Congrats, it's a really fine looking guitar!!!!!!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"Well, I Picked Up a Gibson J-45". How many times did you throw it on the ground before you picked it up? LOL! Just kidding, She looks beautiful man! Does it have a Sitka or Adirondack top on it? I'll bet that combo of Maple with the Sloped Shoulder body style sounds inherently unique. You'll have to post a soundclip if you get the chance to record it, No Hurry of course but I am sure others are interested in hearing it as well. Congrats Cougar on a Great Looking Guitar!

TX

Grassdog

Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase, I'm a big fan of the J-45 as well. Hope you enjoy owning it. It's that Gibson chunk or thump or whatever it is, but it's definitely there. One of the quintessential rock/blues/country rhythm guitars out there, maybe used on more recordings than any other acoustic. I have a Southern Jumbo (basically a J-45 with the parellelogram fret inlays) and it's been my main go-to acoustic along with my Guild GF-30 and Guild 12.

Eric P.

Reaction score
Wow. Stunning. My main acoustic right now is a J-35 (modern). Although I've had a few excellent J-45s pass through my hands over the years. That one looks like it could be a keeper. And I consider the Gibson Custom Shop guitars as good as anything out there these days.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, everyone! Yep, it's a good one!

Does it have a Sitka or Adirondack top on it?

It's sitka. For a "custom shop," it doesn't look like a AAA. It's got a little runout. Still, it's a stunner!

Here's a demo of a guy who's really got the Gibson thump going!

MLBob

Reaction score
Love the sound of the maple body in that clip of Greg playing!

Bob

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats, and everybody should have a round shoulder Gibson in the herd. Love my WM45!

bobouz

Reaction score
Yup, gotta love those Gibson roundshoulders!

Earlier this year, I picked up another one: A NOS custom shop 2015 J-50 - a supremely satisfying guitar.

There's something about the roundshoulder's low end thump, combined with a typically dry overall note clarity, that's really addictive.

Congrats Cougar on your new best friend!