Opinions on this purchase please

Reaction score
I remember when enlarging the sound hole used to be a “ thing”. Maybe still is, I don’t know.
Oooh.. I just googled it! Yes, it def was some sort of mod a lot of people were doing.
Or to just clean up a chewed up soundhole.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
In some cases it comes out of the factory with the larger sound hole. The Martin HD 28 LSV is a good example. A fine guitar built in limited quantities (I believe no longer made) and it sounds really, really good.

guitarjesus

Reaction score
A couple more things. The neck has some upbow, I know some people loosen strings and truss rods before shipment. Also, towards the high string side, looks like the neck has a slight twist. How are twists/warps remedied?

Eric P.

Reaction score
With Bryan's help (from afar) I enlarged a soundhole on a Martin HD-28 once. It was an okay guitar before and after. Traded it off and it was quickly grabbed by a collector.

Seems like a number of builders are just making larger soundholes on smaller body instruments anyway. My custom 00-21 has a larger soundhole. So does my Martin D Jr.

bobouz

Reaction score
How are twists/warps remedied?

A neck twist can sometimes make it impossible to dial in playability. Not aware of a simple fix, so check this out carefully before committing to the guitar (if you have any return options).

Edit: If you haven't already, use the truss rod to eliminate relief to the point where you have the neck as dead-on straight as possible. Use this position as a baseline, and then thoroughly assess for warps or twists. Hopefully you'll get lucky and the neck will settle into a more favorable overall position.

Last edited:

guitarjesus

Reaction score

Here's a picture with no tension on the neck. You can see the bass string side is a little higher. Might have to use the crank down the headstock approach. But first, I'll leave it under no tension a couple days, check humidity levels, and go accordingly.

guitarjesus

Reaction score
The relative humidity in the case was at 68%! Not good. So I'm going to dry out the case and the guitar a bit and see what happens.