Interesting 12 String Instructions

beecee

Reaction score
I was looking to restring my D-70 and remembered that the strings were spec'd in some of the case candy that came along with the guitar.

I ended up reading through the owners manual, (what a concept), and came across this.

Never saw that in any other instructions for my previous Guilds. Or maybe just didn't notice.

Are these common instructions over the years for Guild?

DOjdCE5.jpg
[/IMG]

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
beecee,

It's nice to see this stuff in print. I didn't know Guild had done that ever. I pretty much agreed with what's said there.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'v kept my F-212 at concert pitch since it was a pup, after about 50 years it did need a neck reset, but that is not unusual for any guitar of that age.
Brad

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Found the manuals of my ex-AA and F212CSB - both have exactly that same page #9

On right of the Guild Owner´s Manuals is page 31 in booklet Fretted Instrument Service Manual

I have a pristine copy of Vol. 1 - I got that in MN when I bought my F50R summer 1975

I managed to find later version with same text but drawn pictures - Vol. 1 has some photos.

So what is on page 31 in Vol. 1 is on page 29 on later version.

Price has jumped also - Vol.1 was $2.00 - the newer is $3.75

http://www.discoverguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/fretted_instrument_Service_manual.pdf

fullsizeoutput_2a4.jpeg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'd have to go check (it's not here where I post from), but I seem to recall the owner's manual that came with my '96 D-25 said it was ok to tune 'em(12-ers) to standard due to their construction, but by then the only strings they offered were the lights which that early manual says is ok, anyway.
But what I'm really curious about , Beecee, is what did the D70 come with in '822?
I've actually seen dreads with owner's manuals showing Lights and Mediums from early/mid '80's, now.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Al, it definitely *is* OK to tune a Guild 12-string to standard tuning. This manual page is just stating a tip that's a good recommendation.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al, it definitely *is* OK to tune a Guild 12-string to standard tuning. This manual page is just stating a tip that's a good recommendation.
Oh I always "knew" it was ok to tune 'em to standard, I guess what I meant was, that's the first time I ever saw that from Guild, and I don't think my owner's manual(s) recommend tuning 'em down.
Bet your Tacoma manual's the same.

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
But what I'm really curious about said:
and[/I] Mediums from early/mid '80's, now.

I'll post specs from book in the am. Just back in from out of town, doing another 5 hrs on road tomorrow. I cant remember but they were heavier than I'd like.

beecee

Reaction score
I had hoped to post as few more but they are stuck somewhere between my phone & computer including the cover of the guild strings

In any event, they called out for PB Medium 13-56

dxjDmsY.jpg
[/IMG]

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
beecee, are we talking about a 12-string set here.... AFAIK, the M-450 set is a 6-string set, which would not be relevant for a 12-string. I'm seriously guessing they would have used a light gauge set on any 12-string from the factory. Certainly not .13s on the high E...

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

My F212CSB came with B1250 Phosphor Bronze

I also found this paper I had written while in MN

I was using 13/13-17/17-26/10-36/17-46/21-58/36

And also 14/14-18/18-29/10-39/20-49/25-59/39

And I always tuned down one full step - and more down to open tunings - BIG sound

beecee

Reaction score
beecee, are we talking about a 12-string set here.... AFAIK, the M-450 set is a 6-string set, which would not be relevant for a 12-string. I'm seriously guessing they would have used a light gauge set on any 12-string from the factory. Certainly not .13s on the high E...

Al asked me about the strings that came on the D-70.

But what I'm really curious about , Beecee, is what did the D70 come with in '822?
I've actually seen dreads with owner's manuals showing Lights and Mediums from early/mid '80's, now.

Funny, Al caused a veer

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al asked me about the strings that came on the D-70.

Funny, Al caused a veer

:glee:

Thanks buddy!
Hello

My F212CSB came with B1250 Phosphor Bronze
And I always tuned down one full step - and more down to open tunings - BIG sound
Gosh--just like the owner's manual suggests...
:friendly_wink:
Chaz, you sure you don't want to read that F512 owner's manual now?
:glee:
OK, to be fair, I never really suspected what tuning down did for sustain until I started doing it with my F65ce and D25 based on a suggestion from Marcellis a few months back.
And I always thought the "tune down" practice was something borrowed from owners of other brands of 12's that weren't built like Guilds.
Now finally after all these years I think Guild had decided the "magic formula" in the beginning was to string 'em with mediums and recommend tuning down.
And I think the turning point was probably around the time they introduced the JF30-12 ('87) which originally came strung with Silk'n'steels.
And we have that new member mentioning both his JF30-12's have collapsed necks, probably from excessive string tension...
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...le-to-repair-a-neck-tension-wrecked-12-string

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Funny, Al, if there was an owner's manual I don't think I got it with my guitar. Mine was sitting in the guitar store for over a year before it finally found me, and I bought it with a steep discount. Never mind that it was (by far) the best 12-string I'd ever played. In any case, that's what brought me back to Guild.

beecee

Reaction score
if there was an owner's manual I don't think I got it with my guitar.

Assuming I am not breaking any copyright laws or forum rules I'll scan mine from the F-512 and send it over in the next day or so

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Funny, Al, if there was an owner's manual I don't think I got it with my guitar. Mine was sitting in the guitar store for over a year before it finally found me, and I bought it with a steep discount. Never mind that it was (by far) the best 12-string I'd ever played.
Yep, I remember the story, I always visualize the Memorex ad:
6a0133f355d9b0970b0168eb70753a970c.jpg

I bet it just got lost. All 3 of mine had 'em but it took Guitar Showcase about 1/2 an hour to find the case for my D40 where the 2nd pickguard had been stashed.

Assuming I am not breaking any copyright laws or forum rules I'll scan mine from the F-512 and send it over in the next day or so

Given that Fender doesn't own 'em anymore I'd be surprised if there's a copyright issue, andyou're not doing it for profit anyway..but I think the real issue is that Chaz's F512 is a Tacoma and I don't know if they changed the book for New Hartford which I see in your sig.
I'm taking a guess Tacoma's are probably the same as the late Westerly and Corona manuals...but Chaz's is one of the ones that got the new single truss rod system.
Odds are that since Fender never updated the Tacoma F512 spec sheet to show that they didn't write a new owner's manual either, but I don't know...in fact by the same token the NH manual might mention that new-for-12-strings truss system even though I was recently told their dual action mechanism was actually a bit different than Tacoma's...
Now thinking about it, that may not have necessarily applied to the 12's, it was specifically in reference to a member's Tacoma 6-string which was replaced under warranty because they couldn't repair the neck with New Hartford parts.
(Who loves ya Chaz my brothah?
:watermelon:)

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep, I remember the story, I always visualize the Memorex ad:
6a0133f355d9b0970b0168eb70753a970c.jpg

:watermelon:)

Hello

That picture is JBL L-100 Century speaker ad - I used to have a pair of those with the darker blue grill - nice sound.

Correct me if I´m wrong - about the picture - not the sound.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello

That picture is JBL L-100 Century speaker ad - I used to have a pair of those with the darker blue grill - nice sound.

Correct me if I´m wrong - about the picture - not the sound.
I was wrong, got Maxell confused with Memorex:
casstapehistory-4.jpg

A quick search for the JBL reference gives a return from a forum post that says the speaker used in the ad was a JBL L100, so that must be what you're remembering as a JBL fan.