Is it possible to repair a neck-tension-wrecked 12 string?

Reaction score
Hey, guys-

I have two Guild JF-30 12 string guitars from the Westerly era. The necks have broken the perimeter of the sound hole and crept into the body so much that they're completely unplayable in any position other than a D chord; anything up the fret and the whole picture falls apart. I have a lot of sentimental attachment to the guitars- and they sound AMAZING, so I am trying to figure out if there's a way to see them. Has anyone had any experience with rebuilding these once they reach this state? I emailed a local luthier, but I thought it would be a good idea to come directly to the community of other Guild-obsessed players!

On another note, I have a 1969 F-212 12 string that I bought to replace these that sounds GORGEOUS (pure 60s folk and blues) but it's not the tone I want for my own music- I need that church-bell chime tone. So if anyone could advise me on value range that would be helpful as well!

Thank you guys!

Tom

wileypickett

Reaction score

Interesting that the F512 Jacob restored has the deluxe fingerboard inlay we associate with the F612.

I have an F212XL that has the same fingerboard inlay; it's a first-year production model.

In trying to research this I came across a "Guitars of John Denver" site that showed his F212XL also had the same fretboard inlay.

Does anyone know if this was standard on first year production models, or was available by special order? Or what?

In response to your question Tom, the guitar can be repaired but it may involve having the neck removed so that the end-block and / or bracing can be properly repositioned, which is usually what suffers in this sort of damage, and reglued.

I had to have this done to my Brazilian Guild D50, the end-block of which had shifted over time. The repair was done by Guild in New Hartford, CT, and though a little pricey was worth every penny.

Good luck!
Glenn

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tom,

Those will be expensive repairs, and they won't be worth it for JF-30-12 guitar resales. That's a serious factor to consider. That said, the question is whether *you* want the guitars back to original, playable condition. As Glenn said, you're talking about a neck reset and probably quite a bit of additional work including frets-off re-sanding/radiusing of the fretboard, and likely some body bracing where the neck block shifted and caved part of the soundhole wood on the soundboard.

Anyway, Steve's suggestion to contact Tom Jacobs Guitars (LTG username "fixit" or "dapmdave" who works with Tom) is the answer if you're serious about a proper repair. Unless you know a really good luthier that's local to you, Tom Jacobs is the man for fixing up old Guilds.

Good luck with your choices.

Reaction score
Thank you guys! I'm definitely not looking at resale, it's more a question of saving them if I can. I'll definitely hit Tom up!

-Tom

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Tom Jacobs is your best bet. Good luck with whatever you decide and keep us posted.

Off topic...is that harp guitar in the avatar pic a leftie or is the pic reversed?