How Many USA Made Guild Bluesbirds Were Built ?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"built by Fender" is not a particularly useful description because Fender built Guilds in Westerly, Corona, Tacoma, New Hartford and Nashville (custom shop).

Even that I think is a purely semantic interpretation because Fender for the most part practiced "hands off" on actual US production.
Guild built 'em even though Fender owned 'em, but the exception would be in Corona where at least some electrics were built in Fender's shops.
(Fender Custom Shop Bluesbirds)
What I don't remember is if we've ever established that all electric production was done on the Fender side in Corona or if there was a dedicated Guild electric capability like there was for flattops, after 2001.
Seem to recall Starfires were being built on the Fender side before '01 or at least during '01 before Westerly was closed, too.
Discussed before but just don't recall.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Even that I think is a purely semantic interpretation because Fender for the most part practiced "hands off" on actual US production.

If you are going to argue semantics then take this in the context of people who insist that "Fender Guilds" are different. People who make the distinction you are making don't express the opinion that "Fender Guilds are inferior" and similar statements.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If you are going to argue semantics then take this in the context of people who insist that "Fender Guilds" are different. People who make the distinction you are making don't express the opinion that "Fender Guilds are inferior" and similar statements.
Oh not meant to be argumentative but more to clarify how it worked, particularly with an eye towards new members who may not actually know.
:tranquillity:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guild built 'em even though Fender owned 'em, but the exception would be in Corona where at least some electrics were built in Fender's shops.
(Fender Custom Shop Bluesbirds).
Hi Al, I allow to say that your assumption of just "some" is incorrect. Please watch this video again, all in the actual FMIC factory in Corona. A lot of the people you can see are famous Fender Master Builders who help training others.

Ralf

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for posting that vid, Ralf. I don't recall ever seeing this video before.

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Aw man. It's nice, but sad, to see Tom Wheeler in that video. I was stunned when he asked me to contribute to his "Soul of Tone" Fender amp book. He was a super nice guy and fun to work with. RIP Tom.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi Al, I allow to say that your assumption of just "some" is incorrect. Please watch this video again, all in the actual FMIC factory in Corona. A lot of the people you can see are famous Fender Master Builders who help training others.

Ralf

HI buddy, appreciate the update and refresher, but "at least some" meant for sure I know some were made there, but I just couldn't remember how extensive the production actually was.
"At Least" is definitely a different semantic meaning than "just some", American English-wise.