Did your NS Starfire binding turn yellow already?

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Mine did. Very yellow.
Ads to the vintage look. Looks nice. I don't mind.
Just never had a bass that changed so quickly.
I love it. Such a comfortable bass to play.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Mine is yellowed/vintagey-looking, but I don't recall it ever being "bright white" even when new.

I also think the NS SFs are nice basses. Pretty hard to beat them at their price point, especially used ones in VG-excellent condition.

I find the narrow neck with it's lack of "taper-to-wider" in the upper registers (e.g.: a-la Fender) and resulting narrow string spacing to be fast, comfortable and easy to play.

Die-hard P-Bass guys may not share that opinion.

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Mine was white. I checked the pics of when it was new because I got confused when I pulled it outta the case and saw how deeply yellowed it got. It is a '13 or '14.
I played nothing but PBasses before my Starfire, and I can tell you that the string spacing is way more nice, especially for fast parts and jumping strings with the right hand. The shortscale is fantastic. So comfortable, and the whole bass just feels more comfy.

The reason I wanted a shortscale is because the Pbasses felt too big for me in size and scale length. But I played them for a good decade or more. I still love mine. But the Starfire is so much fun to play.

Last edited:

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
Mine is yellowed/vintagey-looking, but I don't recall it ever being "bright white" even when new.

I also think the NS SFs are nice basses. Pretty hard to beat them at their price point, especially used ones in VG-excellent condition.

I find the narrow neck with it's lack of "taper-to-wider" in the upper registers (e.g.: a-la Fender) and resulting narrow string spacing to be fast, comfortable and easy to play.

Die-hard P-Bass guys may not share that opinion.

This is how it was for my Bluesbird. Always looked aged.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
To confirm, mine is yellow now and according to my memory started out that way. I'm pretty sure mine was one of the earlier ones because of when the order was placed. I found a picture that, if memory serves, was taken at NAMM in January 2013 by someone who was there and the binding is clearly yellow, especially in contrast to the fret dots.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's one of my pictures of the bass from NAMM 2013. The binding was not white but ivory colored:

kwJfV7W.jpg

Ralf