N(used)GD - Jumbo Junior

Eric P.

Reaction score
Hello,

First time poster here (or at least the system couldn't figure out if I'd been here before). Some folks know me from other lists over the years.

Have tried posting this twice, and had errors (of my own doing) each time. So here's a hopefully short, coherent version.

Wanted a travel guitar for some gigs this summer where I have to switch between mandolin (my current main instrument), octave mandolin and guitar. And it had to have a pickup with volume control. Ended up over at Twin Town Guitars in Minneapolis, MN. Tried a few other instruments, then was told about a used Jumbo Junior. Now, it had dried out and had multiple crack repairs. Now, these were done very solid, but it won't win a beauty contest.

Could say that when I played the guitar the skies opened up, a rainbow appeared and the voices of angels fell upon my ears. I could, but it wouldn't be true. It's a good guitar. Like one review said it's a perfectly good guitar. Neck is comfortable, it plays in tune up high and the pickup works. Couldn't ask for more.

For grins, took it over to a practice with a fiddle player to prepare for a gig we had last night at a farmers' market. Both she and her boyfriend (who plays guitar) was impressed by it. Will never ben mistaken for a D sized guitar. But for what it is, the sound is full and pleasing.

Have done two changes to it so far - put on Elixir 80/20 Nanoweb medium and replaced the bridge pins. Will older Guild pins. The new pins have a larger head, which just looks a bit out of place on a small guitar. Yeah, I'm discussing aesthetics on a guitar with three large repaired cracks.

Other compliments - like the inlaid headstock logo, bone nut and saddle, open back tuners and balance of the instrument on a strap. Like most Guild instruments, it's not for everyone. But for someone who can appreciate it, definitely worth looking at.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Eric:
Welcome or welcome back. Wish for you and your new guitar a great summer.

Eric P.

Reaction score
Welcome. You may just have been lost in the Moderation Queue which will continue to delay your posts until you have had five or so approved.

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...f-my-posts-subject-to-approval-by-a-Moderator

Wish I could say it was the queue, but it was my errors. Accidental log out and then a different Windows issue. Totally on me.

FWIW, this must have been previously strung up with lights after the repair. A lot more powerful sound with the mediums. Did slightly lower the relief in the neck. Will let it settle down overnight and see what tomorrow brings. Will probably haul it along to the local weekly old-time jam and play it instead of mandolin.

As I said earlier, this is a credible guitar. Definitely not the older Guild sound. But I like it. Yeah, this sounds like a backhand compliment. But really, it's just as legitimate as the Taylor GS Mini or the Martin D Jr.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Welcome, Eric.

Thanks to Stuball48, I'm sitting here as we type waiting for the FedEx truck to arrive with a Maple bodied Jumbo Junior.

Is yours maple or 'hog?

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As I said earlier, this is a credible guitar. Definitely not the older Guild sound. But I like it....

In my Guild browsing, I've always been rather seduced by the looks of the very reasonably priced jumbo junior. But I've got a few full-sized jumbos, so I'm good! Good to hear you're feeling fine with the junior, and welcome to the boards!

Eric P.

Reaction score
Welcome, Eric.

Thanks to Stuball48, I'm sitting here as we type waiting for the FedEx truck to arrive with a Maple bodied Jumbo Junior.

Is yours maple or 'hog?

Hog. It's what was available. Would have liked to have tried a maple just to compare.

It definitely projects well. Had it at the old time jam this morning and everyone could hear it. As a banjo player said, all I need to do is play the snot out of it.

Eric P.

Reaction score
Not that anyone actually cares, but made a couple of adjustments.

First off, took off the 80/20 strings and put on some Nanoweb PB. Much better. Fuller sound and more base, IMO. Also seemed to help the guitar carry in an outdoors jam yesterday.

Second, while I had put in different bridge pins earlier, went back to the stock. I think the taper on the Fender Guild pins and what's being used now is slightly different. Couldn't see anything obvious. However, the low E had a habit of slipping out of tune more than it should. With the stock pins in, things are back to normal.

Still very happy with this purchase. Should be a reliable companion for the future.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Nice to hear you like the Jumbo Junior Mahogany - in another post I wrote that I ordered three different Westerly series guilds - one being Jumbo Junior MAPLE, which was a full NO NO NO from beginning. I ended keeping OM-240CE which fits my needs fine. I still think it was a good thing to buy - good value for the money. I still have original strings and have been contemplating about what kind might be best. At least I need thicker high-E

Do you remember James Berns Music at 8417 Pillsbury Ave S in Bloomington ???

Eric P.

Reaction score
Hello

Nice to hear you like the Jumbo Junior Mahogany - in another post I wrote that I ordered three different Westerly series guilds - one being Jumbo Junior MAPLE, which was a full NO NO NO from beginning. I ended keeping OM-240CE which fits my needs fine. I still think it was a good thing to buy - good value for the money. I still have original strings and have been contemplating about what kind might be best. At least I need thicker high-E

Do you remember James Berns Music at 8417 Pillsbury Ave S in Bloomington ???

Oh yes, I do remember Jim's basement. And one time he refused to let me in because my grandfather looked too much like a cop. :wink:

As I may have mentioned on some other post, am probably going to be playing quite a bit of Finnish folk music on the Guild later this month. Have 5 performances in 4 days including 2 dances. While I plan on switching between mandolin, octave mandolin and guitar, have already been told to expect to stay on guitar for most of the dances. The shorter scale helps me grab the minor chords.