sumptin ain't right mamma. D-40 CE hahahahahaha

beecee

Reaction score
Met the friend of a friend to check out the $800 D-40 CE I mentioned a few days ago.

Met at a GC just in case there were any issues, (my luthier is in Preble).

Case was...odd, but I've seen worse.

Replacement bridge. Hmmmmm sumptin ain't right.

oqc9yO9.jpg
[/IMG].

beecee

Reaction score
Got a tad worried about the pickguard shape as well, but hey if the thing sounded good I figured, (hope and optimism are a dangerous combo when mixed with GAS)

beecee

Reaction score
Wowee, nice herringbone rosette. This must be a super rare version. Is this a DV-40-CE? Let's check out the label.

beecee

Reaction score
wowee kazoowee, lookee at that label. This must be one of those super rare Custom shop ones that I've heard so much about. Wait, I thought that the Custom shop was elsewhere. (optimism fading but hope is still surging through the veins...maybe Hans will come to the rescue and I can steal this for $800 and sell it to some lucky soul here for boat loads more moola)(as a public service of course).

mDqUYZ7.jpg
[/IMG],

beecee

Reaction score
Ok, need to wait for the experts here to chime in. It has the chesterfield so I know she ain't no stinkin' base model. Wow, I have so much to learn about these one offs and super rare guitars.

vltfccf.jpg
[/IMG]

Best part is on this rare beauty?? I don't have to worry about you uppity TRC police telling me it ain't on right.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds good - tell us mooooore - please.

beecee

Reaction score
I didn't really have the heart to say how I truly felt about the guitar, or ask him how he ended up with it, seemed like a good sort. I am assuming he did not know.

Luckily someone walked up to us and kind of chuckled when he saw it and spilled the beans as it were.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
He probably wasn't happy to hear it's worth maybe a 20 dollar bill.

geoguy

Reaction score
Ah, an example of the uber-rare Pho Guild D-40CE, produced in West Erly for only about zero minutes!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Been a long time since we've seen such a fragrant, er, flagrant counterfeit.

Last one I recorded at http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?169766-Sellers-of-counterfeit-Guilds was 2014. The label and lack of lines in the Chesterfield as old "friends". Seems to me there was a band supplementing gig income by modifying a cheap instrument and selling it as a Guild who got busted circa 2015. Wouldn't surprise me if this were one of those, especially if things are close to Texas.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Seems to me there was a band supplementing gig income by modifying a cheap instrument and selling it as a Guild who got busted circa 2015. Wouldn't surprise me if this were one of those, especially if things are close to Texas.
Yep, I remember that story too.
Somebody linked to an article about it.
Seemed to tie in with their concentration up and down the Mississippi River corridor and the southwest, think that's how they were detected, it overlapped their tour circuit.
It wasn't just Guilds, actually it was the Martins that did 'em in, IIRC.
The Texas reference was due to the high percentage of pawnshops located there that seemed to have been saddled with 'em, so to speak.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It happened here today in CNY but he said he bought it on line not too long ago in Tx.

Has this been around?
At first I thought Sandy was joking because of the reason later explained, so it is somewhat amusing to me that it turned out to be the case and maybe he was actually serious.
Apparently they're still rearing their ugly headstocks after all this time.
I don't recall that specific guitar, but note that the list Frono linked to has an exceptionally high percentage of sellers ID'd in TX, probably for the reason explained about the source of a fair amount of counterfeits being likely products of an actual band that toured the region, apparently preying on unsophisticated pawn shop employees.

beecee

Reaction score
Last one I recorded at http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?169766-Sellers-of-counterfeit-Guilds was 2014. The label and lack of lines in the Chesterfield as old "friends". Seems to me there was a band supplementing gig income by modifying a cheap instrument and selling it as a Guild who got busted circa 2015. Wouldn't surprise me if this were one of those, especially if things are close to Texas.

Wow, had no clue.

I'm always a bit self conscious in that even tho I've been playing on and off for 40+ years I'm still not an expert on inspecting a guitar.

Glad to see I have a keen grasp of the obvious.

beecee

Reaction score
Yeah Tom I passed as graciously as I could. I do feel that he really had no clue, heck even a few guys at TGC weren't convinced it was a fake after the bystander ungraciously let it be known no all was right.

No issue, my heart wasn't really into it. Was hoping maybe a good deal would fall into my lap.