NGD - No so happy

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The F-512 arrived today and what I thought I glimpsed in one of his pictures turned out to be a problem. The top had sunken infront of the bridge and when I took shots inside the body, I can clearly see the X brace has come loose at the edge of the body and in the center in at least one direction. There is also a spit in the top from the neck to sound hole on the low E side. I could not position a camera or mirror inside to see if anything has shifted in there. The neck angle with a straight edge hits the middle of the saddle not at the top. The finish is all very yellowed. Like shellac would be, like is it an old guitar, so where it is chipped a little the binding looks white. The back shows it must have been hot in the case, because there is red fuzz from the case stuck to it.

I asked the seller what his return policy is. He told me his repair guy had checked it out and said it was solid. I have no idea how much this will cost to fix properly. The aged look of the finish is not cool looking to me, even if it could be fixed. Just really bummed.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Shoot ! We’re uou buy it from privet seller or through reverb ? Was any of this disclosed ?

Reaction score
Contact Reverb. They will help you ask the guy to take it back, or get some sort of refund...and maybe even give you some "Reverb Bucks" for your trouble.
Did you use PayPal? They can help too.

So the guy "claims" his tech said it was solid. So what? It arrived NOT AS ADVERTISED! Don't give up without a fight!

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, crap, John. Really sorry.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If you bought it on Reverb and it is not as described you can send it back regardless of the Seller's return policy and recoup your return shipping. You just have to open a claim in the Claims Resolution section of Reverb. Granted the last time I had to use it it took a month and a written estimate from my Luthier on the condition to square away my deal but on a return it should be pretty quick. Sorry it turned out like it did but the crack from the soundhole to the fretboard not being disclosed is a definite no go and should be a sure fire return issue with return shipping refunded. Best of luck with the situation man!

TX

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I worded my last paragraph wrong.

Before I bought it, he told me had it checked out and his guy said it was solid. I then asked him what the string height was and if the neck angle was OK. He said he didn't know, but he could ask his repair guy to check it out. I hit the Buy button before he got back to me. So, today, after I inspected it, I sent of a Reverb message telling him about it and asked what his return policy was. No replay yet. I'm sure the time difference and business hours might have something to do with it. If I have trouble, I'll contact PayPal and my Credit Card company and perhaps Reverb.

That was part of my buyer's remorse. The dark color and the top shape in the one picture made me wonder about it's condition.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh man, So sorry John...... but based on history and what the people on LTG are saying here now, if you purchased it on Reverb AND used a credit card WITH PayPal...... I think you're gonna be okay!! But that doesn't really make you any more disappointed or angy. I hate when people do this kinda $hit!! Jeeze. Why are people so $hitty?

RHETORICAL, folks but if you actually have an answer, I'm happy to hear it...... no, really!! :crushed:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I worded my last paragraph wrong.

Before I bought it, he told me had it checked out and his guy said it was solid. I then asked him what the string height was and if the neck angle was OK. He said he didn't know, but he could ask his repair guy to check it out. I hit the Buy button before he got back to me. So, today, after I inspected it, I sent of a Reverb message telling him about it and asked what his return policy was. No replay yet. I'm sure the time difference and business hours might have something to do with it. If I have trouble, I'll contact PayPal and my Credit Card company and perhaps Reverb.

That was part of my buyer's remorse. The dark color and the top shape in the one picture made me wonder about it's condition.

If you go back to your reverb page and click on the original sale ad (which you should be able to view since you are the buyer) You can look for the "Shop Policies" tab right next to the description tab and it will list that sellers return policy for that particular item. This should give you a heads up if you haven't heard back from him yet.

TX

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, TX.
"
[h=4]Return Policy[/h] Return Window
This product can be returned within 7 days of receipt.
General Terms
Items must be returned in original, as-shipped condition with all original packaging and no signs of use. Buyer assumes responsibility for all return shipping costs unless the item was not received as described.

"

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry to hear you're not happy John, but if it makes you feel any better my 2010 F512's finish is fairly yellow too, but it doesn't bother me. Quite the opposite, I rather like it. As for any structural problems the guitar may or may not have, only a qualified luthier can properly assess that. You got the guitar at a really great price. Even if you have to put a little into it you're way ahead of the game. I'd bring it to a professional, and if they decide the guitar needs a lot of work, share that information with the seller and see if you can arrive at a solution.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks, TX.
"
Return Policy

Return Window
This product can be returned within 7 days of receipt.
General Terms
Items must be returned in original, as-shipped condition with all original packaging and no signs of use. Buyer assumes responsibility for all return shipping costs unless the item was not received as described.

"

Sounds like you are covered man! Make sure you get photos of the crack between the soundhole and the fretboard extension as well as the dip in the soundboard. That way you can send those photos to Reverb to prove that it was not as described and recoup your return shipping costs. Best of Luck!

TX

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bummer. Sorry that didn't work out, John. Ask if reverb will cover the shipping for you, since it's not as described.

But never give up! (Who got that burst NH F512 that just ended on ebay for $1725?)

Mark WW

Reaction score
Just contact Reverb. So far they have been pretty good to work with. If not on the road to resolution in less than 2 weeks then contact PayPal.