Concert time šŸ˜

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Itā€™s been along time coming but I finally was able to get upfront tickets to see Andy McKee tomorrow night .

Canā€™t play like he does but I do love a lot of his music and heā€™s been a favored musician of mine ever since I first heard him .

Iā€™ll be taking my son as well and hope he enjoys it , at least I hope he takes something positive home from the experience. šŸ™‚

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I came out of an Andy McKee show realizing that I needed to either start practicing obsessively or burn all my guitars. Tommy Emmanuel does the same damn thing to me.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I came out of an Andy McKee show realizing that I needed to either start practicing obsessively or burn all my guitars. Tommy Emmanuel does the same damn thing to me.

No worries...there's always someone who is better at something than you or me. Enjoy your own music! :barbershop_quartet_

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If it were just somebody that was better than me I could handle it. Seems like in my case it's everybody though.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Yeah Tommy is next on the list .
I ā€˜m inlightened by thier playing and thier musical creation skills . I always went away with a ā€œ that was cool ā€œ feeling :)

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi

I remember when Stanley Jordan released his first record and it was on tv - I thought about chopping my guitars and make campfire and concentrate on electronics - thanks God I did not.

Those days you mostly heard the music from radio and seldom saw it on tv or live - so one had no idea of how things were done. There is one quite good drummer here who had heard Billy Cobham but never knew BC had two bass drums. So he rehearsed and rehearsed until he could play the same stuff with only one BD and wearing cloggs . This was in 70:s

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah Tommy is next on the list .
I ā€˜m inlightened by there playing and thiermusic creation skills . I always away with a ā€œ that was cool ā€œ feeling :)

And if you are a player (even one who sucks comprehensively as I do), you have an understanding of what they're actually doing and you walk away gobsmacked.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Al Di Meola said in some Guitar Player interview about thirty years ago, that he had listeded to country guitar players and could not fathom how they are so fast - so he learned to play with pick same stuff others were fingerpicking...

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And if you are a player (even one who sucks comprehensively as I do), you have an understanding of what they're actually doing and you walk away gobsmacked.

I get a rush from the creativity . Most likely many of the guitarists I like have musical back rounds and can read and write music , has had theory plus who knows what else .

I guess that leaves most of us closet guitarists ( thatā€™s what I call myself ) in awe when listening to those musicians that strike a chord with us .

Me I have No training , never in a band ,( well kind of one ) no theory , have no idea how to play a scale if you ask , can only name a few chords , forget every song I write , canā€™t free jam when folks get together, I can follow along after a bit and solo some once I know whatā€™s going on .

Iā€™m a mess musically lmao .
Just about everyone makes me look bad so I gave up trying to be like them and just started focusing on my own thing . When I see Andy tomorrow Iā€™ll be all giddy have no doubt but the best I can take away from the show besides the experience with my son is some inspiration to help me along in my own music even if just a little . šŸ™‚

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
RAYK

You are 100% correct in that our own music - however fantastic-inferior it might be in public opinion scale - gives us pleasure and comfort - sometimes people around us get at least amused or . . .

So letĀ“s enjoy our music and not be depressed by those who are superior to us.

After all - I did shake hands with Chet Atkins and have no hard feelings realising the world-wide gap in our talents - he was well behaving friendly gentleman who gave me some of his time.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow cool Chat rocks and so does Al De meola ��
Wow shaking hands with Chat thatā€™s so cool .
I shook hands with Worf , dang he was huge . Lol

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So letĀ“s enjoy our music and not be depressed by those who are superior to us.

Not to mention it's a hell of a lot more rewarding to be complemented for playing something you wrote than for playing something somebody else wrote.
Well, for me, anyway.
Most of the time.
:confused:
Anyway, it's why I think the most important thing is:
"To thine own muse be true."

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
True that and as a example please enjoy unless already posted and heard . ��

Grassdog

Reaction score
it's truly amazing what these artists can do, but sometimes we forget they've honed their chops 8-10 hours a day (maybe more) over an extended number of years. At some point, they probably don't even have think about what key or scale or mode they're playing in, it just flows.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
it's truly amazing what these artists can do, but sometimes we forget they've honed their chops 8-10 hours a day (maybe more) over an extended number of years. At some point, they probably don't even have think about what key or scale or mode they're playing in, it just flows.
I'm positive that applies at least some of the time, it's a definitive form of ecstasy (it literally means "out of body"), but what blows me away is the fact that I'm also positive they're keeping a background track of where they intend to go and how to get back on track while they're "cutting loose".
Knowing the theory is like a mental shorthand that makes it easier to do that, even though you're not necessarily thinking of how to finger every note in a scale or how to form every chord in the progression, that's what all the practice does.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Great show last night Andy was great a pleasure to meet . I didnā€™t want be like all the others getting pics with him . I seen the all the folks asking questions Etc and I have to respect his patience so I just got signed CDā€™s .
I walked away inspired and now I want a baritone guitar lol
The setting was very personal which added to a enjoyable performance. I will do it again ;)