New to Me 1972 F-47

guitarjesus

Reaction score
So I picked her up today, the store I bought it from said it was a 1973 because of the serial, not the date stamp on the sticker inside the sound hole, so it's a year older than I thought, bonus for me!

A few things I noticed up front...Guild labeled tuners, not Grovers. Very clean for a 46 year old guitar. Sure it has some checking and a few dings, but for a guitar this lightweight, and it feels light, especially compared to my 1974 F-50.

Also to note, not sure if it's belly bulge or needs a neck reset, the action is high.

Here's some pics, tell me what you think...For $800 is it a keeper, or do I send her back? It's Guitar Center. I have 72 hours.

wileypickett

Reaction score
The action does look high.

Not to start any controversy over JLD Bridge Doctors, but I bought a used F30 for low money that had been strung with heavy gauge strings -- the bass strings were like piano strings. Guitar was essentially ruined and completely unplayable. I hydrated the heck out of it and installed a Bridge Doctor to reduce the belly. It took about a month of hydration and little half turns of the BD, but the top eventually flattened out and the guitar was playable again and sounded great.

Over the next year or so, the BD continued to do its thing, and eventually the action got too low, and I had to make a taller saddle for it. Completely saved the guitar and for less than 30 bucks.

Whether a BD could do the trick for you you'll have to figure out using a straight-edge to try to get a sense of just how high the belly is.

If you determine the BD won't do the trick and it needs neck reset instead, I'd either haggle with GC or send it back.

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Whether a BD could do the trick for you you'll have to figure out using a straight-edge to try to get a sense of just how high the belly is.
I'm familiar with JLD, I posted a picture in my second posting slot with a level (I know, not the most accurate) across the top to see. Well, judge for yourself, it definitely looks bellied to me!

gilded

Reaction score
Unless you have a good luthier who will work cheap and is familiar with re-setting guild guitar necks, I would send it back.

It's never gonna be in excellent condition and a lot of luthiers will charge you $500 or more for a reset, especially out in the Land of Milk and Honey aka California.

I love those guitars and am not trying to spook you. If you love the way it sounds and want to make your stand with that type of guitar, then it's worth it to repair it. If you are not sure, send it back!!

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Unless you have a good luthier who will work cheap and is familiar with re-setting guild guitar necks, I would send it back.

It's never gonna be in excellent condition and a lot of luthiers will charge you $500 or more for a reset, especially out in the Land of Milk and Honey aka California.

Ain't that the truth. It's actually cheaper to ship it to reputable people like Dan Erlewine or the like than pay California repair prices. But for the price I paid, I'm going to go back to GC, ask for a deuce off the price, and humidify it, and see where I stand. In present condition I can easily get 6-800 for it, and that's listing it in honest to goodness condition.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ain't that the truth. It's actually cheaper to ship it to reputable people like Dan Erlewine or the like than pay California repair prices. But for the price I paid, I'm going to go back to GC, ask for a deuce off the price, and humidify it, and see where I stand. In present condition I can easily get 6-800 for it, and that's listing it in honest to goodness condition.

I'd probably just return it. F47s aren't exactly uncommon, and the age of that one puts it squarely in the neck reset zone if it hasn't had one already.

gilded

Reaction score
Did it come in a good case? Original?

If GC will give you $200 off, I nominate you for Man of the Year.

good luck.

gilded

Reaction score
I like the amps in the background.

What's the amp on the Marshall cab? Bandmaster? Showman?

I have a '67 Pro Rev that's more beat up than your Super, but my original grill is gone. I have a '70s Bassman Output Transformer in it, too. A friend of mine played it for a couple thousand gigs jump blues gigs from the '70s till a few years ago.

guitarjesus

Reaction score
I like the amps in the background.

What's the amp on the Marshall cab? Bandmaster? Showman?

I have a '67 Pro Rev that's more beat up than your Super, but my original grill is gone. I have a '70s Bassman Output Transformer in it, too. A friend of mine played it for a couple thousand gigs jump blues gigs from the '70s till a few years ago.

On top of my Marshall cab is a 64' Bandmaster, the Super Reverb is a 65' pre-CBS buyout. In my garage I have a 72' Super Lead, a 67' Bandmaster, and a mid 80's JCM 800 50 watt. Most of my vintage amps and guitars were sold when I needed the money. Sucks, those vintage Boogies have tripled in price.

gilded

Reaction score
I'm out of the Marshall and Hiwatt business myself. I also understand being broke.

I like the way Bandmasters sound on Marshall cabs when they are dialed up between 5 and 8 on volume.

I like both alnico Jensens and alnico CTS speakers in Super Reverbs. The ceramic speaks are too ice-picky for me.

Again, good luck on your F-47.

guitarjesus

Reaction score
I'm out of the Marshall and Hiwatt business myself. I also understand being broke.

I like the way Bandmasters sound on Marshall cabs when they are dialed up between 5 and 8 on volume.

I like both alnico Jensens and alnico CTS speakers in Super Reverbs. The ceramic speaks are too ice-picky for me.

Again, good luck on your F-47.

Yeah I love the sound of a Hiwatt DR103 through a Hiwatt cab with original Fanes, but that combo in good shape is an easy $7500, I can buy a Fender tweed for that!

wileypickett

Reaction score
I'm familiar with JLD, I posted a picture in my second posting slot with a level (I know, not the most accurate) across the top to see. Well, judge for yourself, it definitely looks bellied to me!

Looks bellied to me too, but not nearly as severe as my F30 project was. (I knew string makers made Heavy Gauge strings, but I never knew anyone who actually used them before the guy I bought that "project guitar" from!)

Hard to make a real assessment. The BD will surely bring the action down some, but maybe not enough.

But I like your attitude! Here's hoping GC takes you up on your offer. Keep us posted!

guitarjesus

Reaction score
So Guitar Center couldn't deal. For vintage gear discounts, someone in Hollyweird has to approve and I'd have to wait out through the window on the return policy. No thanks. The funny thing is, they said they'll probably just keep it and try to sell it in the local store. So we'll see if they drop the price a couple benjamins. If they do, I'll be back...

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Good! Send it back.
Too many headaches to deal with for the $.
Plus, you'll find another one in better condition for not much more money!

The problem with where I live (Southern Riverside County, CA), you have to drive for good pieces to find. Either to San Diego, LA, or Orange Counties. So buying online is a necessity for a father of five. I barely have the time or money (kids ain't cheap!) to drive everywhere to test our or even look at a piece of gear.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The problem with where I live (Southern Riverside County, CA), you have to drive for good pieces to find. Either to San Diego, LA, or Orange Counties. So buying online is a necessity for a father of five. I barely have the time or money (kids ain't cheap!) to drive everywhere to test our or even look at a piece of gear.

Ever considered tradin' in one of the kids?