New Old Starfire

onerailunder

Reaction score
Local Craigslist find.

Serial number is 4193, I'm thinking this makes it a '65?

Obviously refinished, so it's a player not a collector. Otherwise after snugging the truss rod, the action and neck are fantastic with a decent break angle at the bridge. I flipped over the neck pickup and returned the original bridge. I purchased the pickgard mounting hardware, but I'm not in love with the, "Big John."

I actually prefer the earlier and current Newark St. pickguards. Will the screw holes on a new pickguard line up with an older guitar?

y4mOVL-FShkkQ1dmDvFTEVOEGO-IyPvmYTLQV3wXvRpzLK_Qs4g-0MJNjEuEjawlQGnQDO5Jbfdz752Rlqy8wCmEOGawh1c0XF_I9yKm08WUyCRU_3SPcnHW7o4kk9_1t6xI558jJEbL9mSYcZ8qLLGoyDT1uanNXMdQB65xMSqqcjfkpEbVVrZG0aog6SCocc7T2zny4jaxSTZSm7tfxHfzg

y4mOVL-FShkkQ1dmDvFTEVOEGO-IyPvmYTLQV3wXvRpzLK_Qs4g-0MJNjEuEjawlQGnQDO5Jbfdz752Rlqy8wCmEOGawh1c0XF_I9yKm08WUyCRU_3SPcnHW7o4kk9_1t6xI558jJEbL9mSYcZ8qLLGoyDT1uanNXMdQB65xMSqqcjfkpEbVVrZG0aog6SCocc7T2zny4jaxSTZSm7tfxHfzg

dklsplace

Reaction score
Local Craigslist find.

I actually prefer the earlier and current Newark St. pickguards. Will the screw holes on a new pickguard line up with an older guitar?

Welcome aboard, & Nice find! I'm with you on the pick guards, but can't answer on the screw hole placement. I rescued a '64 SFII years ago & turned it into an SFIII. One of my favorites!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Great Find! Congratulations!

I think that the refinished top looks cool. A beautiful, golden mahogany color.

As far as the pickguard goes... you could always play a rockabilly version of the classic "Big Bad John" (Roy Acuff, Jimmy Dean). :glee:

And welcome to LTG! That's a nice first post.

onerailunder

Reaction score
Interestingly, the inside edge of the F-hole is white. It's so well done, it could pass for binding.

I blew up an image of a newer SF III pickguard and it looks like the holes don't match up. I've ordered some 1/8" lexan to fab up a new pickguard. Need to find a source for a gold "Guild" and star facsimile for it.