Ngd jf-65

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting either an F-50 (M) or a JF-65 for years. The right one just hasn't come along... until now!

My new (to me) JF-65 arrived today. I don't have any pictures to post, but the guitar looks great with the exception of one piece of binding missing from the headstock. CME compensated me well for that, and I have a good friend who can make quick work of the repair.

It came with a McIntyre "Feather" pickup, which appears to be something like a K&K mini. I'd never heard of it before, but having now tried it out it sounds OK. I have a few preamps I can use with it. But the maple Guilds shine best with a good mic, IMHO, and the guitar was acquired primarily for recording.

The serial number is AJ650394, and March 15, 2000 is stamped on the side of the neck block. So no question about the build date. These late Westerly Guilds are among my favorites. I feel that build quality was very good at that time and they can still be found in relatively unmolested condition.

Just to prove it really happened, a picture...

jf65.jpg

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Dave:
I am a very happy owner of a JF65 and such a wonderful guitar. I love the sound and the way it plays-so easy. My SN is AJ650408 so 14 guitars later. That is close. I will look on the side of the neck block for date.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dave:
I am a very happy owner of a JF65 and such a wonderful guitar. I love the sound and the way it plays-so easy. My SN is AJ650408 so 14 guitars later. That is close. I will look on the side of the neck block for date.

It'll be interesting to see what it says. I don't think they were making many JF65s at that time.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what it says. I don't think they were making many JF65s at that time.
Mine is stamped March 15 2000, also. Guessing sold in May or June of 2000. Hope you like yours as well as I do mine.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations Dave! I had a 1999 JF65 burst for awhile that I never quite bonded with (now living with SouthernGuild in Oz), but if yours sounds anything like my F50ce, it's a winner!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Dave! I had a 1999 JF65 burst for awhile that I never quite bonded with (now living with SouthernGuild in Oz), but if yours sounds anything like my F50ce, it's a winner!

Thanks, Sandy. I've tried unsuccessfully to love several JF30s (6 and 12) but have often thought an F50M/JF65 might be more to my liking. Time will tell...

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, Sandy. I've tried unsuccessfully to love several JF30s (6 and 12) but have often thought an F50M/JF65 might be more to my liking. Time will tell...

I was a bit apprehensive about getting another jumbo maple Guild after my initial experience, but I was amazed when I played Steve's a couple of years back. The one I ended up with is just as good. You bought it from Chicago Music Exchange I'm assuming? I never had much luck with them, but it sounds like you did!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. You, most likely, have favorite strings but for your info I use D'Addario EJ16

What it woulda been shipped with, except for an .025 G instead of the .024.
Readily obtained from StringsbyMail.com for us unrepentant hardcore purists.
:friendly_wink:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. You, most likely, have favorite strings but for your info I use D'Addario EJ16

The EJ16 is a good fall back. Lately I've been using D'Addario NB on some guitars and Elixir on others. One size (or brand) does not fit all! So, at this point I don't know what I'll end up with.