Nh d 40 bg

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I just bought a NH D 40 BG and will be picking it up today. It's nothing unique or all that special, I just wanted an affordable, full bodies D 40, built at NH in a burst finish. I found the one I bought on Ebay.

It had the letters/word 2nd where the serial # would typically be. I had assumed that meant it was a factory second but I'd never seen it displayed that way on other Guilds I've looked at. Thought I'd ask the collective wisdom here on LTG to verify that for me.

Thanks folks!!

beecee

Reaction score
Can't help with the question but my "nothing unique or all that special" D-40 Standard has gone head to head with some rather expensive and rare beauties and has come out on top every time.

It's my favorite guitar. My only wish is that it were a burst!

EDIT: Wow, just checked out the guitar, gorgeous!

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
beecee, not saying anything negative at all about the guitar or the model. I'm just saying it's a pretty normal and typical Guild and not one that would fall into the unique or hard to find category. I also have a '72 D 40 (burst) that is one of my all-time favorite Guilds regardless of price point. I've mentioned more than once on this forum that it's an exceptional guitar. It's all good.

beecee

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I meant no negative connotation taken. Just love how they seem to punch above their weight

Heck, I played a Madeira for years.

Btw check PM please

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
It had the letters/word 2nd where the serial # would typically be. I had assumed that meant it was a factory second but I'd never seen it displayed that way on other Guilds I've looked at. Thought I'd ask the collective wisdom here on LTG to verify that for me.

Thanks folks!!

I'd say a factory second and note that the vast majority of NH seconds were seconds because of minor cosmetic issues. They either fixed mechanical/functional issues or used the bandsaw for them. If you wanted you could make a case that a NH factory second is actually much rarer than the equivalent "first".

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was the owner an LTGer, Richard? The only public sales of factory seconds was at our last Let's Meet Guild event at Ski Sundown and then I think some were sold through dealers during the shutdown of NH... I'm sure others were sold from the factory to dealers during the NH era, but this one might've come from LMG.

For the record, as Fro put it, a factory second like you have was simply due to some sort of blem that wasn't worth fixing. I'm not positive, but I believe they were sold with factory warrantee. It was *not* due to something internal or possibly unfinished as some of the guitars that went through MIRC reclamation were (which were unwarranteed when new). Bottom line is that your guitar should be indistinguishable from a factory "first." Best wishes!

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I don't think it was from an LTGer but am not sure. It was bought on Ebay from user name guns28sks. The listing says he's a brick and mortar store in Stafford Springs, Conn. He had 1408 feedbacks and a 100% positive feedback rating. I'm pretty sure it will be a nice guitar. Going to the P.O. in about an hour to pick it up

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The next guitar on my bucket list is a D40. Westerly, Tacoma, or NH -- any of the three OK just so it is a nice guitar with no structural damage.
Congratulations Richard and waiting on your opinion after you have had it an hour or two.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stu, FYI, I think the D-40 "Bluegrass" models from Tacoma and New Hartford have red spruce (Adirondack) soundboards, as compared to all the D-40s from Westerly which (I think) were all Sitka. You may want to explore sonic differences before you decide which model and era you like. I don't know if it matters all that match when partnered with mahogany back/sides, but I do know that the D-50 models have similar distinctions, and (to me) they sound very different (with rosewood b/s, that is).

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Stu, FYI, I think the D-40 "Bluegrass" models from Tacoma and New Hartford have red spruce (Adirondack) soundboards, as compared to all the D-40s from Westerly which (I think) were all Sitka.
YES.
(In spite of multiple discussions and requests, I've never seen any credible evidence that Westerly used Adi.)
They just had a particularly skilled buyer/grader in Willie Fritscher. Just take a close look at almost any Westerly top you can find on the net, they're all nice and tight grained with at least a little, if not a lot of silking.
As far as I know Guild never said a word about using Adi until Tacoma, and neither has Hans that I know of.
And the availability of Adi was supposed to be so low in the Westerly years that that tends to support the unlikelihood they ever used it as well.
:friendly-wink:

You may want to explore sonic differences before you decide which model and era you like. I don't know if it matters all that match when partnered with mahogany back/sides, but I do know that the D-50 models have similar distinctions, and (to me) they sound very different (with rosewood b/s, that is).
Yes surprisingly enough Adi is supposed to have a reputation of being so "tight" that it takes longer to open up, and doesn't really show off its capabilities until/unless "pushed hard", but it can be played harder/louder without "breaking up" or "choking".
I'll never forget Twocorgi's story of selling his NH D40BJ because he just wasn't bonding with it and suspected he couldn't wait around long enough for it to open up.
Food for thought.
And don't overlook Corona's, either.
Mine just took ten years to open up, itself.
NOW it sounds like the Richie Havens model it is.

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I just took a couple pics of the D 40-2nd. I've sent them to Eric-AKA mavuser, and if he has time may post them here so you can see what I'm talking about with regards to the sound hole label. I'm sure others have seen this on other NH built seconds but I never had.

I can't find the cosmetic flaw. It's likely there but I'm just not good enough to see it. I will say it sounds great and it's a keeper for sure. It (and probably no other) will ever replace my '73 D 40 built in Westerly but this NH D 40 is a fine instrument for sure. It's going to my Luthier tomorrow to install a DTAR Wavelength pickup.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool score can’t wait to see pics .

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Glad the NH D40 passed your initial test, richard.

For what it's worth, my F47R is one of the factory seconds made available at LMG IV, and as far as I can tell it's flawless.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
v727aG.jpg

mO8JyB.jpg

I always thought "B stock" meant cosmetic blem, and " 2nds or used" stamp simply means sold new with no warranty, as many NH were sold that way both during dealer events, as well as during the closing of Guild operations in the plant. some of them do get MIRC'd but again, most of that should be dead stock or customer returns- those should be new, but refurbished- not repaired, or blemished. If i opened a shop on main street, ordered 20 Guilds and they sat in the shop for a year, then I go out of biz...i return the guitars to Guild...they may wind up w a "2nd" stamp or even a MIRC set up and "used" stamp. still virtually new, unplayed, and un blemished. just no warranty.

nice score Richard!

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sorry to keep beating on this same thread but I just can't seem to let it go. So, obviously it's a 2nd based on the label and I'm more than o.k. with that. But didn't even 2nds or refurbished Guilds get a serial # of some type??? Nothing on this one that I can see. Not on the label, back of headstock or any other place that I can see. I promise I'll drop this after this question. (maybe)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry to keep beating on this same thread but I just can't seem to let it go. So, obviously it's a 2nd based on the label and I'm more than o.k. with that. But didn't even 2nds or refurbished Guilds get a serial # of some type??? Nothing on this one that I can see. Not on the label, back of headstock or any other place that I can see. I promise I'll drop this after this question. (maybe)

Depends.

Guilds refurbished by MIRC had the Guild serial obliterated and replaced with a MIRC. The only NH serial number was on the label (a decision most of us disagreed with) so there is no serial for the guitar with the NH label above. Things were not consistent in earlier eras but in general Guild did not want warranty responsibility for seconds and one way to insure that was to mark a second clearly or obscure the serial or both.

I'm sorry but your NH never had a serial number. AFAIK.

According to testimony at the LMG events Guild either fixed the flaw or used the bandsaw on instruments with a "functional" flaw. The fixed ones were sold as "firsts". There is anecdotal evidence that some of the bandsaws were located in employee's homes since I seem to recall a couple employee builds that were best explained by someone taking the time to repair something with "available" parts.

Because NH seconds were cosmetic or so designated to avoid warranty claims, I am somewhat amused when a used second comes to market and everyone thikgs that effects the value even though there is no way of telling whether a cosmetic flaw was the factory second or mojo added by a previous owner.

If you interest in serial is dating then there may be some factory notations visible inside the body but you may just have a guitar that is forever young.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, clearly, no serial number as released from the factory, Richard.

This guitar was *not* sold through reclamation (i.e., MIRC). It was sold directly from Guild, but probably got no warrantee. I can't recall if the factory seconds that were sold at LMG had limited warrantees or not. I don't think so. Whatever made them seconds is, I assure you, Richard, not functional and may not even be noticeable. There is no stigma to be associated with these guitars!!

As mentioned, the fact that there's no serial number on the label means you don't know when this guitar when through final assembly.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
o.k., I am now officially "happy". My insurance guy just noticed there was no serial # on the guitar and asked me about it. No biggie but I appreciate the input for sure.