What 6 string will sound most like '71 F212

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/NvKQbjF5tnE

Recent convert to Guilds. Played two early 70s F212s and the bass response on both were just amazing. I made a quick video to attempt to demonstrate how big and full the bass is on this 1971 F212, particularly the low E string. The guitar is balanced I feel and very responsive.

I'm wanting to know what 6 string will give me the closest sound and have that heavy low end?

I tried an '82 D25, but it just didn't perform the same.

Early 70s F30 or F40?

Thanks for any input/advice.

-Jeff

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HI Jeff:
The F212 was derived from the F40, basically same back and sides with a more strongly braced top and of course heel block sized for the 12-string neck; 16" lower bout "F" body, arched maple back, so that'd be the most likely starting point.
F40's were revamped as the "Traditional Series" GF models in mid- 80's; offering the widest variety of body woods and back configuration ever seen on F40's (Those variations are usually seen on the related F47, also worth you investigation.)
Note they're all 16" jumbos, but sometimes the numbers give a mistaken impression about the size.
See the descriptions here:
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/files/88PL2.jpg
After a couple of years the GF's went away and F47 returned with several variants, and a lot of -ce "cutaway electric" models.
F40 didn't appear for most o the '90's but came back in Tacoma, with red spruce ("Adirondack") tops and bracing which is supposed to add some oomph.
LOTTA love for Tacomas 'round here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?177266-Ngd-2007-f40

Then, just in case the F40's you run across still seem lacking a bit, (that 12-string top bracing might be contributing to the bass oomph) there's the 17" lower bout jumbo family starting with F50's (arched maple back) and F50r's (flat rosewood), and a blinged-down F50 known as the JF30 (also seen on that price list).
JF30 had a particularly long run extending all the way to Corona, should be pretty easy to find.
F50's morphed into JF65 and JF55(rosewood), you can see the beginnings of that process on that same price list under the "Jumbo" header.
They're essentially the same build formula with some "tweaks".

Finally, re F30's: although they're very efficient "air pumps" and the bass will be very well balanced for the instrument itself, I just have a suspicion you may find it insufficient in overall volume if you're used to the F212, since F30's are 15" lower bout size.
Re the dreadnoughts:
Be willing to consider D40's.
I used to think my D25 had better bass than my D40 (flatback 'hog) but as the D40's opened up I realize it's just "different".
"Punchier"
I used to play what I called "cheater bass" with my '25 in jams, it has a more "stand up bass" kind of sound, but the '40 sounds more like what you'd expect from a bluegrass finger picker, and to be fair I have no clue if a D50 (flatback rosewood) might deliver even better, for your ears.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The F-212 was actually mahogany back and sides, with a body shape patterned after the F-47 6 string model (see p 128 of the Guild Guitar Book)..

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The F-212 was actually mahogany back and sides, with a body shape patterned after the F-47 6 string model (see p 128 of the Guild Guitar Book)..
Doh!
Headslap.
Thanks for the clarification.
I was still on the "F47 replaced F40" page.
(insert embarassed emoticon here)

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
If you are looking for the deepest bass that a Guild will offer, you will want to try a D-50.
Rosewood back and sides guitars tend to carry a deep bass end.
Also the Dreadnought shape offers the most bass response.

Now find a D-50 with an Adirondack top and you have the best bass Guild produces.
A D-55 is a close second.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am with TMG and Richard on this one, to my ears- a 12-string mahogany Guild sounds closer to a rosewood tone than a 6-string mahogany tone. I would get a rosewood 6-string Guild if that is what you are after. I would get a dread as it has the same 16 inch lower bout as the F-212. there is also the GF-50, GF-55, and GF-60 rosewood 16-inch lower bout mini-jumbos, but i'd go for a dread

Reaction score
Wow. Such an awesome forum. Thanks to everyone for their input.

From the YouTube videos I have heard, the f40s just don't do what this f212 does - they just sound different to my ear and lack the deep bass that this f212 produces.

The D-50s sure have an awesome appearance. I'll investigate them further.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So, does this mean the G212 would have deeper, louder bass sound than the f212?

my guess is yes the dread is louder if they are not equal. there has been some debate if a dread is louder than jumbo or mini jumbo. from my experience a dread is the loudest guitar. I own the Westerly G-312, and although my Hoboken F-312 is a project that i've yet to play, and a second Westerly F-312 may be on the horizon which I also have not heard yet...it is just not possible they are louder than the G-312, which, is the loudest guitar i've ever heard. I have briefly played the F-512 (a New Hartford), and while I did not dig in...maybe it could be as loud as the G-312 who knows, but i'm certain it is not louder. I was not necessarily going for volume when I acquired the G-312...but that is definitely what I got.

I will also add the F-212 has a mighty, mighty perfect tone. and volume/projection. I wouldn't go chasing that down so hard on another model guitar. a G-212 will be fun to play a maybe a little louder who knows (now we are talking mahogany backs). it may sound closer to Tom Pettys (D-212/D-25-12) songs than anything else (yer so bad, free fallin...)
Rosewood has more color to the tone, across the specturm, and is definitely louder. the mahogany just hits that sweet spot so perfectly. I have a couple F-112s and can understand where you are coming from. suffice it to say just speaking from my own personal experience, if u have an F-212 and a D-50, you have it all.

i would guess that some players choose the jumbo, or mini-jumbo, over a dread, simply because they prefer the shape/size/balance etc. and not really so much for tone (especially plugged in). They do sound a little different though, all things equal (jumbo vs. dread). niether is better or worse, just different variants of the same thing, essentially.

I like mahogany 6-strings but one day i'll own a rosewood 6. I almost bought a JF-55 and then almost a GF-55, but held off on both. something just wasn't there for me. I didn't realize it at the time, but they just weren't dreads.