String Spacing @ Bridge on Starfire II Bass

jc2940

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the string spacing is at the bridge on a Strarfire Bass II ?
Thanks
JC

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Which Starfire II? Spacing may be different on a harp bridge (vintage or Newark Street) compared to the metal bridge (90's reissue). Spacing on the harp depends upon how wide the saddles are and where they were notched.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
The fender-inspired reissue bridge found on the 90's Starfires (including Dearmonds) has a wider spread than the vintage starfire bridges with wood or plastic saddles. Additionally, the vintage saddles can be spaced to preference as they slide from side to side if no string tension is holding them down.
On all of my vintage Guilds I have inserted little plastic or wood shims in between saddles to make the string spread match the pickup pole spacing.
That said, I will measure both of my vintage Starfire bridges for you when I get home... they're probably not spot-on identical.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Just to further muddy the waters...

Also note: the earlier runs of Re-Issue (MIK) Newark Street SF-Is and IIs have 1-1/2" wide nuts. All the current production SF nuts measure 1-11/16" wide. I at first thought this was a typo on some retailer's sites but double-checked with Sweetwater and Guild and both verified that the new production spec is, in fact different. So, if anyone is fussy about this and prefers one to the exclusion of the other, he would be well advised to ask that the seller of any used or NOS ones measure the nut of the specific bass in question. I'm not sure exactly when this spec was changed, hence my suggestion that potential buyers should check on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited: