D 25 custom

Reaction score
I need info on a 1987 d 25 it has gold Grover tuners. And electronic pickup the neck looks like the cover of Hans guild book. Thamks

Reaction score
I now own a sweet sounding guitar and know nothing about it THe serial mm is D251349 made in R l. In nov 1987 and that's it never seen another

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Look anything like this? This is a '96, so may be some differences.

L1lj2y.jpg

d4Raib.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures

My guitar has white binding all along the sides of the fret board and the top looks exactly like the cover of moust's book except inlays are smaller squashed diamonds the fret board is black (ebony?) and the head maybe ( snakehead?)

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A bound neck with "G-shield" headstock, ebony fret board, and diamond fret board inlays would not be standard for a D-25. If it was a custom or special order, it would likely indicate that on the label. It's possible that the neck has been replaced or modified. It might help if you posted some pictures. You might also contact member Hans Moust (send him pics and the SN) through his website, and see what he thinks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks gaurdman, I am new to my first chat room on a computer ever. This seems to be a nice place to start. As far as sending or posting pictures its going to take me a while to figure out .I knew when I saw this guitar it was different from anything I was shopping for it has to have been a special order. The neck and body serial numbers match and the neck and body are not changed as far as I can see.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello Bill,

Welcome! I was contacted by the seller (or at least a previous owner) of this guitar not too long ago; he was trying to establish a selling price.

Here's what I wrote to him at the time:

Without actually holding the guitar in my hands it’s not really possible to put a price on your guitar.

I obviously can give you an idea what D-25s usually sell for, but this is a somewhat different situation.

I do not know how far you’ve looked into this, but your D-25 does not conform to the specifications for the model from that particular period.

What I can see in the photos is that you have a D-25 from around 1988, but it has the neck of a Guild D-60; that is a somewhat unusual combination.

Personally I don’t believe that the guitar was made like that ( too much to explain in writing), but it was definitely done at the Guild factory.

Maybe there was something wrong with the original neck and Guild used a neck that they had available or the owner requested the upgrade; there is no way for me to check what happened.

At this point it’s not really important, unless you have a letter from the factory stating what they did.

Right now it all depends how the guitar functions as a guitar; basically is it a good guitar ….. or it is not!

Since it has a standard D-25 body, it will sound like a D-25; somebody might like the higher grade neck, but it will not sound better because of it.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all your help. I am glad that I learned a lot. I think it great to have such a unique guitar