Can your skin harm

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The finish ?
I’m finding that my arm is doing just that so it seems . It’s leaving a dull area and you can feel it some it cleans up but there’s still an area left .

At first I was thinking it was my deodorant but it’s not my arm pit ( I wear a lot of tank tops ) but my forearm just below and just above the elbow . I realized it’s on all my guitars .

It appears on the top edge of the lower bout and the side .

Now I need to fix them or polish them out even the new F55e has been infected . This is something I’ve never noticed or seen before .

I make sure I have no off on me when I play so I’m a tad confused as to what’s causing it . Not sure if it’s just my arm movement but it’s on the side so not much movement there .

Has anyone had this happen or no what it is ?

iamarobotman

Reaction score
Is this on a vintage, nitrocellulose finish? If so, that happens to my 1965 Starfire too after a long, sweaty show. It looks cloudy and definitely keeps the sweat on longer than newer guitars, but that's part of the charm. Made to be played!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This is on 06’s and up . Yup cloudy .

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
It is just your active juice reacting with the finish. Some guys pay a lot for this mojo. 😜

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It is just your active juice reacting with the finish. Some guys pay a lot for this mojo. 😜

Man I don’t know , the words mojo and active juices just seems wrong somehow . Alllllllllll where are you when I need you !? Lol

I’ve seen furniture lacquer ( hic*# ) recover from water stains but this ain’t so , something ain’t right and me no likes .

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
Velvet sweat suit, only thing to wear when playing

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I try to have long sleeved shirts on when I practice and favorites are the ones pro bass fishermen use to help keep the sun rays off. The least expensive are fine. Found some PFG (performance fishing gear) on sale 3 for 25 dollars -- just plain white. Light weight, too.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yup, forearm sweat causes cloudiness in the finish. I wonder if putting a layer of Saran wrap on that area would help, then peel it off when you're done playing.

Best thing to remove and polish sweat stains: Virtuoso cleaner and polish.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Yes I find that my arm and my Guilds are not a good match. I always play with long sleeves in winter and for the summer I have some arm protectors and use other guitars as well.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So is this common for all NCL

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ray, I always keep a long sleeved t-shirt even in summer because this is what happens. I tried to find a photo of me but it's on my old computer and I haven't transferred it yet. It's me in summer in short sleeves and a long sleeve (cut off an old shirt) clipped onto my short sleeve with a potato chip bag clip. Saves me from changing shirts and I just unclip it when I'm done playing. It's not glamorous or classy but it keeps my NCL shiny and pretty. So.... long cotton sleeves or a clip on. Your choice. I'll try to find the photo..... it's funny!!!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So is this common for all NCL
Yes. It's often called "arm shmoo" and if it bothers you the best way to deal with it is (as many already mentioned) is to cover your arm with something.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok got it , I been needing to get some cleaner and polish anyway and I’ll into covering up options . Thanks guys .

F312

Reaction score
Cut off a shirt sleeve and put it on when you play, that's what I do.

Ralph

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yes. It's often called "arm shmoo" and if it bothers you the best way to deal with it is (as many already mentioned) is to cover your arm with something.

Exactly - "arm schmoo"!

It's happened on my D64 after years of playing it. Although I don't wear short sleeves playing that much, when I do I don't worry about it...

Just an FYI - never get any sun lotion on the finish, that will be much worse than "arm schmoo".

walrus

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Yes, your sweat and body oil will react with the guitar's finish. That's why some people put armrests on their instruments.

I've thought about asking a luthier whether the dull area can be buffed out or oversprayed, but haven't done it.

If you ask a luthier, come back and tell us the answer.

Reaction score
It has happened on every nitro-finished guitar I have ever had (since the 70’s) when I roll up my sleeves ... it really shows up on a darker finish or sunburst! It’s there on the maple and lighter finishes too, it just doesn’t show up as much.
Just get used to detailing the guitar a lot, or wear long sleeves when you play... or drape a diaper over your baby before you start playing!

By the way... the 80’s called... they want their tank-tops back! LOL!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....... Alllllllllll where are you when I need you !? Lol .......

Methinks Al is on LTG only at his work - he works for LTG-readers :watermelon::watermelon::watermelon: