1977 F-50R Questions

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
For what it’s worth, the Vintage Guitar Price Guide range for a 1976-79 F50R is $1,900 - $2,500.

Well, OK! I'd be interested to know what the Guide says for a burst 2011 New Hartford F50R with DTAR dual source....

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Vintage Price Guide lumps the F50 and F50R together from 2002-2016, without regard to factory of production, electronics or type of finish. The value range is $1,700 - $2,200.

The Blue Book gives a range of $1,550 - $1,950 for F50Rs from 2002 - Present (which probably means pre-Oxnard) in excellent condition. It also states the value is increased by 2.5% with an Antique Burst finish. It also identifies the D-TAR Wavelength system since 2006, but not the Dual Source.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So to summarize, the guitar may be good for many years. May not. The neck is obviously moving otherwise the saddle would not have been shaved down. So at $1950 you'll be good for a while. Depending on where you are in the world neck resets run (from what they say) $400 (not in my neck of the woods) to $900 or more..... so saying it's $700? That puts you in $2650 all in for a really nice F50R with a neck reset so you're near the top of the range. That's just for you to ponder. In So. California you'd NEVER get a neck reset for $900 but that's one reason I don't live there anymore. Depends on if you have someone you trust with a Guild neck reset and ... you go from there. Good luck!! Those are nice guitars...... :encouragement:

iamarobotman

Reaction score
So to summarize, the guitar may be good for many years. May not. The neck is obviously moving otherwise the saddle would not have been shaved down. So at $1950 you'll be good for a while. Depending on where you are in the world neck resets run (from what they say) $400 (not in my neck of the woods) to $900 or more..... so saying it's $700? That puts you in $2650 all in for a really nice F50R with a neck reset so you're near the top of the range. That's just for you to ponder. In So. California you'd NEVER get a neck reset for $900 but that's one reason I don't live there anymore. Depends on if you have someone you trust with a Guild neck reset and ... you go from there. Good luck!! Those are nice guitars...... :encouragement:

Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone! I'm still deciding to buy or not. I live in Nashville, TN, and work closely with Gruhn's head luthier (he's a family friend), so I would definitely trust him with a neck reset. I think the ballpark estimate of $700 seems correct. It's definitely weighing heavily on me, since I can't really afford this F50R to begin with, but I know a cool instrument when I see/play one. I'm also trying to figure out what is going to be the best writing and performing acoustic for me. I tour heavily and need something that will be easy to travel with and help me feel like a rocker on stage. I also need a workhorse acoustic that won't need much work/money in the next five years. If you're saying this one doesn't need a neck reset or basic work for several years, then I think it could be a solid investment for me.

Long story short: I really want this guitar, but I have to be practical and not dump tons of money into something needing a neck reset. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Any 70's vintage guitar should be checked out for condition.
Have this one looked at if possible.
If it checks out, you will have a great guitar.

iamarobotman

Reaction score
Upon talking to my luthier friend, he said the neck shouldn't shift or change for years and years (meaning lots of play time before a neck reset is needed). Guild bracing and construction makes these guitars incredibly well built machines. I knew that from just looking at it. I think I'm definitely going to buy it and have this old friend for life! This will be my only and main acoustic actually, so hopefully it makes sense for my writing and workhorse mentality. Just trying to be practical, since I love vintage instruments the most.

I've been looking at a newer Martin 000-15 Special too, but it might end up sounding stiff compared to this Guild F50R?

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Upon talking to my luthier friend, he said the neck shouldn't shift or change for years and years (meaning lots of play time before a neck reset is needed). Guild bracing and construction makes these guitars incredibly well built machines. I knew that from just looking at it. I think I'm definitely going to buy it and have this old friend for life! This will be my only and main acoustic actually, so hopefully it makes sense for my writing and workhorse mentality. Just trying to be practical, since I love vintage instruments the most.

I've been looking at a newer Martin 000-15 Special too, but it might end up sounding stiff compared to this Guild F50R?

Awesome 😎

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Vintage Price Guide lumps the F50 and F50R together from 2002-2016.... The value range is $1,700 - $2,200. The Blue Book gives a range of $1,550 - $1,950 for F50Rs from 2002 - Present....

Thanks, awagner.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Upon talking to my luthier friend, he said the neck shouldn't shift or change for years and years (meaning lots of play time before a neck reset is needed). Guild bracing and construction makes these guitars incredibly well built machines. I knew that from just looking at it.
Just to help tilt the scale a bit, a low saddle does NOT automatically mean it's been lowered to compensate for neck angle problems.
Some guys just want their acoustics to feel like and do bends as easily as an electric and that's one element of achieving that feel, typically at the expense of volume and loss of clarity for hammer-ons.
The only way to deduce if it's getting towards needing a reset for sure is to get the combined height of bridge and saddle, ideally should be about 1/2" +/- maybe a 1/16, and bridge height itself should be about 5/16" maybe 11/32.
IF the bridge is in the 'goo0d height" neighborhood, THEN check the neck alignment as described here:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/NeckAngle/neckangle.html
If the bridge is significantly lower than 1/4"-5/16" , then I'd call that a red flag but not necessarily a deal killer.
A shaved bridge most likely IS a sign of taking the economy method to postpone resetting a neck, but some guitars can handle a small amount of shaving and still retain a long service life after it.
It just varies from guitar to guitar.
A shaved bridge can be at risk for splitting, but otherwise it's just another replacement cost to factor in to an eventual neck reset.
And yes late '70's Westerlys do have reputation of being built like tanks, but it's not a constant factor over the history of the brand.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My guess is you have not bought it, otherwise you would confirm the purchase.