Question for Classical Guitars About Strings

PittPastor

Reaction score
I am spending a little bit of time with my Mark II Classical these days. I wrote a song that seems to have (weirdly) some Latin/Flamenco elements to it (I say weirdly because I hardly ever listen to Spanish guitar, and there is no Latin blood in my veins -that I know of- but for some reason, this song happened... anyway...)

I spent quite a bit of time trying to get a post effect that gave my dread a more "flamenco" sound and then I realized: "Wait a minute! I have a Mark II -- I'll bet that can get it without post!"

So I bought some La Bella Flamenco strings for it. ( La Bella 2001 Series Flamenco Classical Guitar Strings). I decided to move up to a light tension string because my grip and reach isn't what it once was.

I put them on last night (Grrr! Man do I hate putting on classical strings! And I thought the Savoy was tricky!)

The first three strings on this set are not catgut. They are some sort of plastic material. They honestly feel kind of cheap -- like a string you would find on a toy ukulele or something. They fret easily, I'll say that.

But the "G" string seems sort of dead to me. It shows up especially in the tuning. The sustain does not seem nearly as long as any of the other strings. I'm wondering if this is "guitar-stringer" error? Or is it by design? When playing it, I really don't notice it. But I'm not doing scales or lead work. Just some simple fingerpick or strumming. So, is this by design? Defective string? Or did I mess it up somehow when doing one of the wraps and twists, and deadened it somehow?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Most classical strings are some form of nylon (and never were catgut.)
As far as the G string, many advanced classical players (which I am not) use different brands/tensions/etc. on different strings to fine tune their sound. You can get individual strings from most of the string only dealers like JustSrings or StringByMail. I would experiment with a higher tension g string. You probably hit that unsweet spot combination of low tension and thickness of nylon that doesn’t work only on that strings.

Reaction score
I'm not a classical player, but I've always had a nylon-string guitar or two. The strings I generally return to are the Savarez 520 series, usually the red-card high tensions, and most often the wound-G sets--they even make sets with all-wound trebles. LaBella also makes some wound-G sets that work for me and last well. I've been using their 3/4- and7/8 -size sets on my cheap old flamenco, and the higher tension gives it a nice fat voice. As a bonus, those sets include an extra wound G.

PittPastor

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was thinking about a wound string for the G, actually. It doesn't feel right being nylon. I'll take a look at my options.

Thanks!