F-512 made in California now in production

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The F-512 seems to be finally ready for production in Oxnard in both natural and ATB:

http://guildguitars.com/g/f-512-natural/
http://guildguitars.com/g/f-512-atb/

One of the very first out the door was shown at Session Music in Frankfurt/Germany during a road show of Guild in mid of April already: https://youtu.be/km4x8ZZZnHc?t=1m16s

It will be only officially introduced at NAMM in Nashville on June 28, so I guess it will take a while until stores get any (exept us lucky in Germany...).

F-512_homeBanner_natural-1030x579.jpg

F-512_homeBanner-1030x579.jpg

Ralf

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Granddaddy of 12's! For the money, I should have kept my '81 F-512.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they went with the same bracing as the F55 or some other redesign or possibly left it the same as NH ?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Fantastic! How long has the wait been?
Since close of New Hartford, about 3-1/2 years?

I wonder if they went with the same bracing as the F55 or some other redesign or possibly left it the same as NH ?
Whether re-vamped or carried over from NH, I'm absolutely positive bracing is upgraded from 6-string version, it needs to be to deal with all the extra top tension.
Guild even did it on the lowly F112's (smallest 12-er they ever made).
We even had a member who had an F30 that was built by Westerly using an F112 top, confirmed by Hans from pictures of the bracing.
The assumption was they were short a top and simply grabbed an already built 12-string top to finish the 6-string.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cougs, as for the wait, it should be remembered that New Hartford stocked quite a few guitars prior to the CMG transition so new ones (NH-built that is) have been available for quite a lot of the production gap. That said, my goodness, it has been nearly 4 years since the NH era ended.

Yeah, agreed with Al on the bracing question. Necessary or not for stress, it will not be the same as the 6-string.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My bracing question was more to the carving style obviously it would have to be different on a 12 😁

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My bracing question was more to the carving style obviously it would have to be different on a 12 ��

a-ha.
It'd be awfully tempting to say "sure why not" but there may be something to bracing theory that says a 12 should be carved differently?
In fact, now that I think about it, when JF30 was introduced they were described as having scalloped bracing (there was no F50 that year), but JF30/12 only says "12-string version of JF30".
One's tempted to assume the 12-er bracing would be scalloped as well, but over the years I've decided it's NEVER safe to assume anything about Guild anymore.
They could have spelled it out for the JF65/12 since it wasn't a "12-string version" of anything at the time ('87 price list), but still didn't.
Didn't our Canadian friend ClydeTower have pretty good luck getting some more actual spec info (about the finish and neck joint on his F55) by calling 'em?
As a new owner yourself I'd assume you were entitled to the same courtesy.
But there I go assumin' again....:glee:
:friendly_wink:
EDIT:
DOH.
When in doubt, go to the website.
the links Ralf posted says they're scalloped bracing....

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
a-ha.
It'd be awfully tempting to say "sure why not" but there may be something to bracing theory that says a 12 should be carved differently?
In fact, now that I think about it, when JF30 was introduced they were described as having scalloped bracing (there was no F50 that year), but JF30/12 only says "12-string version of JF30".
One's tempted to assume the 12-er bracing would be scalloped as well, but over the years I've decided it's NEVER safe to assume anything about Guild anymore.
They could have spelled it out for the JF65/12 since it wasn't a "12-string version" of anything at the time ('87 price list), but still didn't.
Didn't our Canadian friend ClydeTower have pretty good luck getting some more actual spec info (about the finish and neck joint on his F55) by calling 'em?
As a new owner yourself I'd assume you were entitled to the same courtesy.
But there I go assumin' again....:glee:
EDIT:
DOH.
When in doubt, go to the website.
the links Ralf posted says they're scalloped bracing....

Honestly some months ago I contacted Guild via Email and they responed . The next time I called and my questions was passed along and never followed through with.
The last time , via email they never replied.

Not sure how’ll they’ll responed this time , at any rate if one hits the market someone can sneak a camera inside and take a peek .

Let edit this a tad , Scslloped braces are not the question , if I remember right my F212XLCE has them .

The F55 has them but the part that interests me is the carving goes to almost nil at the lining so to me it’s almost becomes a floating top if I understand that right ? That’s what I’m wondering if that will be in corporates into the new F512 .

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just some info, It is Scalloped Bracing on the New F512. Here are the specs from a New F512 Sale ad on Ebay from Music Store Live. Here is the link to the listing as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-F-51...464583?hash=item3633b0e387:g:UbsAAOSwllpbFsrQ

MSL normally accept offers much lower than their advertised prices so if anyone is interested give them a call and deal away. I purchased several new Guilds from them during the new Hartford years including my F50R and F512 brand New for the lowest price I could find on them new with warranty. Mid $2k's with shipping Full Factory Warranty, and free returns. If I didn't already have 2 NH F512's I would probably give one of these a shot.

BODY

• Body Top : AAA Solid Sitka Spruce
  • Body Back: Solid Indian Rosewood
  • Body Sides: Solid Indian Rosewood
  • Body Shape: Jumbo
  • Bracing: Scalloped Adirondack Spruce
  • Rosette: Black/White Striped with Abalone Center Ring
  • Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
  • Body Depth Upper Bout: 3 3/4″ (95 mm)
  • Body Depth Lower Bout: 4 3/4″ (120mm)
  • Body Length: 20 1/2″ (521mm)
  • Body Width Lower Bout: 17 1/4″ (438mm)
  • Body Width Upper Bout: 12 1/2 (317.5mm)
  • Overall Guitar Length: 44″ (1118mm)
  • Guitar Weight: 5.75 Ibs
  • Body Binding: White with B/W/B/W Trim
  • Top Purfling: B/W/B/W
NECK

• Neck Material: 3-piece Mahogany, Walnut, Mahogany
  • Neck Shape: “C” Shape
  • Scale Length: 25 5/8″ (651mm)
  • Nut Width: 1 7/8″ (47.6mm)
  • Nut Material: Bone
  • Neck Binding: White with B/W/B/W Trim with W/B/W Fingerboard Purfling
  • Fingerboard Material: Ebony
  • Fingerboard Radius: 12″ (305mm)
  • Fingerboard Inlays: Mother-of-Pearl Abalone Block
  • # of Frets: 20
  • Headstock Binding: White with B/W Trim
  • Tuning Machines: Custom Gotoh SE701 Open Gear in Gold
  • Hardware Finish/Plating: Gold-Plated
  • Truss Rod: Dual-Action
  • Truss Rod Wrench: 4mm Hex Truss Rod Wrench

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The F55 has them but the part that interests me is the carving goes to almost nil at the lining so to me it’s almost becomes a floating top if I understand that right?
That's how I understand it too.
That’s what I’m wondering if that will be in corporates into the new F512 .
I think you should keep playing your F55 while waiting for one to show up to inspect locally.

Reaction score
Elderly got one that went to a customer that had been on a waiting list for at least 10 months.

Chicago Music Exchange has listed one in stock for two weeks. I joined LTG thinking someone here had surely played it by now.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Elderly got one that went to a customer that had been on a waiting list for at least 10 months.

Chicago Music Exchange has listed one in stock for two weeks. I joined LTG thinking someone here had surely played it by now.

Welcome aboard Mr. Paul!
Good idea but I can't think of one of our members who actually lives in Chicago off the top of my head, at least not one of the "active posters" who would be likely to report back about it.
As you might have noticed, it usually takes a little while for feedback to drift in on a brand new release.
"Patience, grasshopper"