Need help. Selling Don's Mituru Tamura classical from 1965

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Don bought this guitar when he was in the Navy and stationed (for a bit) in Japan. He bought this rosewood/cedar classical in Japan and played it for many years. It was built in 1965 and has a serial number of 36. The Tamura brothers are well known and respected guitar makers, but they may both be dead by now, I don't know. He thinks it's Brazilian rosewood but it looks like Indian Rosewood to me. It's 53 years old and has been taken care of but it's hardly new and not without dings, scratches and evidence of years of play and travel. I took these photos tonight while it was being cleaned before being restrung. It has normal dings and wear but for a 53 year old girl, I think it's pretty decent. Sounds really great, although I'm no great judge of classical/flamenco guitars. Case is original and because it's from the "Hippy Era" has been customized with a Navaho type blanket over the top, but it is the original case and none of the latches work.

Where do I find out what's a reasonable price to ask for this guitar? It doesn't get played and he doesn't want it any more but we have no idea what's a fair price to ask. So, I ask you my friends...... how does one get a guitar like this valued?

PCJULJ.jpg
FdYevf.jpg

nnzfRw.jpg

87ZuqP.jpg

PCJULJ.jpg

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice . A classical has been on my list for a awhile now just not the right timing on my end or I’d try to work out something .
Good luck . :)

silverfox103

Reaction score
Tom

My 2 cents for whatever it's worth. It looks like one of those guitars that were pumped out by those big guitar manufacturers in Japan in the 60's folk era. I had one similar that I ended up with, from my brother, who also got it when he was in the service. I kept it in my car when I traveled. A notch or two above a campfire guitar, but OK. I don't think that is rosewood. It's a wood the Japanese used during that time. I sold the guitar about 10 years ago for $100 and happy to get that. Don, got it in the service and I'm guessing didn't pay to much for it, as serviceman didn't have much $$$

If you get $100, go out an celebrate.

Like I said, just my opinion, but I think I'm close.

Tom

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Tamura brothers are well known and respected guitar makers, but they may both be dead by now, I don't know.
A Japanese member of another forum wrote about them that the Tamura brothers were Hiroshi Tamura and Mitsuru Tamura. Mitsuru was the younger brother. They produced Classical and Flamenco guitars from 1950s to early 1980s. Both of them passed away so there is not much information now.
Tamura guitars won many international guitar building awards in the late 60's. The workmanship is exceptional. Their guitars are becoming more rare.
I have seen them asking 1.250 US$ in Japan! (138.000 Yen).
Ralf

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I'd suggest you spend a bit more time and research the guitar a bit more. Back in the 60's and 70's There was a luthier named Mitsuru Tamura in Japan who built classical guitar that are very highly thought of. His brother Hiroshi was also a well thought of builder of classical guitars. Note the Reverb listing

https://reverb.com/item/11634695-ma...JHbuNtSFYuOOIhlZGUxtxJqKbxoCSqQQAvD_BwE&pla=1

Is your guitar a knock off? A misspelled label? I just don't know. But, I would not sell it for a few hundred dollars until I knew a bit more.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sadly, while the Vintage Guitar Guide does have an entry for him, it doesn’t giv any price range, only that he was a builder of “intermediate grade classicals”. Of course, that is better than many of the “beginner grade” companies, so I’m sure it does have value.
I would suggest going to one of the classical guitar forums like https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com and asking.

gilded

Reaction score
It looks like a nice guitar, but I don't see the crisp lines of a great guitar. Don played it a lot, it looks like!That's cool

Most of the Japanese classicals and flamencos made back then were laminated guitars, even if they don't look like them.
A sometimes easy way to tell about the side wood is to take out the guitar strap button on the bottom of the guitar and see if there is another type of wood in between inner and outer laminates of whatever rosewood the guitar is constructed of.

I did the obligatory Google search, but couldn't find out more than any body else here.

I agree that going to the Del Camp site would be a smart move.

Best of luck, Harry

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's 53 years old and has been taken care of but it's hardly new and not without dings, scratches and evidence of years of play and travel.

Just like me!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, all. And thank you Chris for that link. That will definitely be a resource for sure! It's funny because you find so few of them. Early ones had the name spelled differently and I'm not sure what that means. There are a few listed on Reverb and eBay ranging up to $2800. But those are from the 70's. So I appreciate the help and when/if I get some bankable information, I'll pass it along.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here's a listing of a guitar that's sold recently that has a rather detailed history of the Tamura brothers. Interesting read. Still wondering about this guitar. Not gonna sell it for a hundred dollars (sorry, Tom) but still working on the value and desirability. It takes time but this is good information.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MADE-IN-19...RRIFIC-CLASSICAL-CONCERT-GUITAR-/192440842661

Actually Tom that guitar didn't sell, The listing just ended and the same seller relisted it for the same price. If it would have sold the banner on the photo would have said "Sold" instead of "Ended". Here is the new listing for the same guitar from the same seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MADE-IN-1974-MITSURU-TAMURA-MODEL-1500-TERRIFIC-CLASSICAL-CONCERT-GUITAR/192541070691

Still I think Don's Guitar is a cool guitar and there is no way you would catch me selling it for $100. I would do some more research as I imagine it would bring at least $1000+ to the right buyer considering what the others are listing for and the scuttlebutt on other forums. After all it is a known maker and however small there seems to be a following for them. Best of luck man and I looked in the Blue Book for you but there is no entry for the maker in my copy.

TX

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Right TX!! It's information I'm looking for and that ad provided a LOT of specific information. I'm not expecting anything price-wise just want to know where to start. Yeah, $100, I think not! $2800, for SURE not. I'm just mining data and I know you know that so keep feeding me stuff. That's what I want. Information. I throw these things out there not expecting results, but wondering WTF?

Info is coming from Chris's link but Don's on probation (we know how that goes) and he should be getting some feedback soon. Thanks for any and all feedback, my friend!!