I bring you the Killdeer F-112-6 Part Deux!

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
I bring you the Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux!

Veterans of this forum know about the conversion of Joe's (killdeer43) F112 from a 12 string to a six string.
The reasoning behind it is that many of us love the 70's era Guild F30s for the tone and body shape (mahogany b/s) and they can be bought at a pretty reasonable price compared to old Gibsons and Martins.

The problem is that the nut width on many of them can be as tiny as 1 5/8" (the specs say 1 11/16" but in my experience they seem to really run smaller).

As luck would have it, during the same era Guild made a 12 String called the F112 which had the exact same body shape as the F30. Two main differences: a slightly heavier build (which doesn't bother me) and of course a bigger nut width (1 13/16" or maybe 1 7/8") to accommodate 12 strings. Nice!

When I got on this forum I found that Joe had done this conversion himself. I found and purchased a 1972 F112 and have been corresponding with Joe about his experience. He has been very gracious and helpful. I do not have Joe's skills so I enlisted Aaron and Benjamin at Strange Guitarworks here in New Orleans to do the work.

They did this:

1.) They used the tuning keys at the 2, 4 and 6 positions and filled in the unused holes at the 1, 3 and 5 on the headstock.

2.) I bought six replacement tuning machines to replace the 6 on a plate that came with the guitar.

3.) Then of course they had to cut a new nut to get the spacing correct since the old nut was for 12 strings.

4.) Since we were only using the 6 front end pin holes, they filled in the back 6 holes.

5.) They refinished the headstock to somewhat camouflage where the six holes have been plugged.

I got it back yesterday and I could not be happier! It looks great and sounds even better. The nut width makes it so comfortable to play and it is a fingerpicker's delight.

Here are the before and after pictures:
Before:
zASAjVs.jpg
N1RiV4C.jpg

gK1SxaG.jpg

After:
0Aztf6z.jpg
xdMODrL.jpg

nAn6B5E.jpg
Hy0EZlz.jpg

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That is cool! The post-conversion headstock geometry threw me off a little bit, but I like it!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
WOW !!!

Strange how the picture of headstock looks so odd with only 6 strings - especially from front.
Perhaps it is the angle and that the pic is cut on top so it is a bit "Martiniscue" - more parallel than in the pic from behind.

But this fills me with urge to try my F212CSB as 6-string - it has been 10 or 11-string most of it´s life due to plain D&G being too loud. HMMmmm
Why not - next time when I change strings.

Do you feel comfortable with the strings being slightly off with neck direction?
The nut was made for 6 strings, but at saddle they are more on one side.
Suppose that is no issue with right hand - and on left hand it has very little effect near nut and first 5 frets or so...

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
That is a very cool project. Well done! The craftsman did a great job with the conversion. In particular, the face of the headstock looks beautiful! And nice photos, too.

I like the rattan wicker ottoman. It looks like a comfortable spot to play a parlor size guitar. I grew up in South Florida, and we always had rattan wicker furniture on the porch. :cool-new:

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
WOW !!!

Strange how the picture of headstock looks so odd with only 6 strings - especially from front.
Perhaps it is the angle and that the pic is cut on top so it is a bit "Martiniscue" - more parallel than in the pic from behind.

But this fills me with urge to try my F212CSB as 6-string - it has been 10 or 11-string most of it´s life due to plain D&G being too loud. HMMmmm
Why not - next time when I change strings.

Do you feel comfortable with the strings being slightly off with neck direction?
The nut was made for 6 strings, but at saddle they are more on one side.
Suppose that is no issue with right hand - and on left hand it has very little effect near nut and first 5 frets or so...

I'm not a precise enough player to notice the strings being slightly off. :laughing:

Here is a full shot of the front of the headstock:
54z1dzS.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm not a precise enough player to notice the strings being slightly off. :laughing:
In fact without actually getting down there with calipers, it looks like that front row may actually be centered and only the back was offset? (Nuuska may know better, having one in hand, but maybe he never noticed or measured, either).
And I was going to tease you about my owning the F112-6 naming rights (I invented it, patterned after the Porsche 914-6 convention), but it just didn't seem right as the first reply to your post....
Anyway since I gave it to Joe when he asked for suggestions I guess I gotta give you equal opportunity too.
Play it in good health!
:glee:

Last edited:

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
In fact without actually getting down there with calipers, it looks like that front row may actually be centered and only the back was offset? (Nuuska may know better, having one in hand, but maybe he never noticed or measured, either).
And I was going to tease you about my owning the F112-6 naming rights (I invented it, patterned after the Porsche 914-6 convention), but it just didn't seem right as the first reply to your post....
Anyway since I gave it to Joe when he asked for suggestions I guess I gotta give you equal opportunity too.
Play it in good health!

I now remember you named Joe's guitar. Check out my edited signature! :laughing:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about Al's claim...naming rights? Say what?

Joe
Relax.
You got it gratis.

It was during the same year I gave Chazmo "Connie" (for Connecticut) for his NH F512 and Twocorgis "Sandy" for his custom-shop refurbished D50.....which had had the bejeezuz sanded out of it at one point.
You asked what you should call the converted F112 and I gave the same rationale back then, the Porsche convention of adding the -6 to the 914 to denote a car that had a different number of cylinders than the model name implied.
I remember it like it was years ago.
Apparently you do too.... :glee:
I now remember you named Joe's guitar. Check out my edited signature! :laughing:
I didn't create the "Part Deux" though.
I woulda called it the F112-6.2 ( for number 2)

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice Job Bayou, That turned out Great! After seeing Joe's original I had thoughts of finding a 60's F312 in dire need of repair and doing the same conversion on it. Now that I am seeing yours it is bringing back all of those mad scientist ideas again, LOL. With the extra 12 string bracing and double truss rod setup you shouldn't have any issue running a heavier gauge 6 string set on that without the worry of any neck issues. I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come and that has to be a pretty comfortable neck to play 6 string on. I'm sure it sounds Amazing! Once again Great Job man.

TX

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Happy to see another one out there, and really happy to hear that Patrick (bayoubengal) has the same feelings I do about the comfort/playability of this Guildmorph. :laughing:

SSQrBM.jpg

It's an easy guitar to embrace.

Joe

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
Nice Job Bayou, That turned out Great!...With the extra 12 string bracing and double truss rod setup you shouldn't have any issue running a heavier gauge 6 string set on that without the worry of any neck issues. I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come and that has to be a pretty comfortable neck to play 6 string on. I'm sure it sounds Amazing! Once again Great Job man.

TX

Thanks, TX! Yes, I have found I like it with Mediums. Gives it a little more low end without sounding muddy.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In fact without actually getting down there with calipers, it looks like that front row may actually be centered and only the back was offset? (Nuuska may know better, having one in hand, but maybe he never noticed or measured, either).:glee:

Hello

Quick measurement with tape measure on both F512 & F212CSB show both pin rows symmetrically offset - 47/50 & 50/47 mm distance from first pin-center to bridge edge on F512 - F212CSB similar.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I recall seeing a six-string converted to a 12 somewhere, but with nothing like such elegant results. Cool.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That is one heck of a conversion! I prefer the 12ers myself, of course, but you're not me! And you got what you want! Well done!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think it might have been an interesting look if the bass strings tuners used the upper set of holes in the headstock like you have and the treble strings used the lower set of holes so the tuners would be offset with each other!